• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

And there it is....

Well that was apparent for some time now. Can’t have a playoff when 75% of teams aren’t playing 

Wonder what the effect this has on programs that are serious about football and athletics, moving up, and ones who don’t, drooping football and other programs. 

^Will be interesting to see how many programs disband after the panda. Spring football could be fun to watch! Especially if everyone is getting a vaccine by then

25 minutes ago, Blounge said:

^Will be interesting to see how many programs disband after the panda. Spring football could be fun to watch! Especially if everyone is getting a vaccine by then

Most pro prospects in the CAA who are seniors won't play. Unless there's a long shot that the NFL moves everything up like the draft and Combine. That could happen if the FBS can't play in the fall. But those kids can't wait. If they want to get a pro look, they need to go to another program, even if it's a short one.

31 minutes ago, mat1992 said:

Most pro prospects in the CAA who are seniors won't play. Unless there's a long shot that the NFL moves everything up like the draft and Combine. That could happen if the FBS can't play in the fall. But those kids can't wait. If they want to get a pro look, they need to go to another program, even if it's a short one.

How many "pro prospects" are there in the CAA? Especially if they don't play in the spring.  Maybe a handful? I'm more interested in knowing how much it impacts college sports if they don't play at all.  Scholarships? Do current seniors get another year of eligibility? How does it impact the 2021 incoming class? Etc.

25 minutes ago, Maharba10 said:

How many "pro prospects" are there in the CAA? Especially if they don't play in the spring.  Maybe a handful? I'm more interested in knowing how much it impacts college sports if they don't play at all.  Scholarships? Do current seniors get another year of eligibility? How does it impact the 2021 incoming class? Etc.

JMU had 4-5 legit prospects on their own. Probably around 10 overall that were draftable or UFAs including Shane. We didn't really have a prospect other than Shane though I think we have a few OL that could get looks if they have great senior seasons and I'm sure Ricky DeBerry would be on scouts radar screen if he could stay healthy, since he played at Oklahoma.

https://draftscout.com/div.php?CFBDivisionId=2&GenPos=FS&DraftYear=2021&sortorder=TSXPos&order=ASC

If they don't play in the spring, I really wouldn't worry about upcoming recruits. I think if you graduate and you're not an NFL prospect, playing in a fifth or sixth season of football is probably not the wisest move unless you are a kicker or punter. If there are a few that come back, great. Rob will find a place for them and figure out the ships. That's a lot tougher when you are a spring sport like lacrosse with 12.5 scholarships and a bunch of guys wanting to return. Most probably have to pay their own way. Same might be the case in football, where I think if he can't find ships, he can spread them out or just give partials to some guys, but not the freshmen he's offering full rides to.

Let's hope it doesn't come down to that and that they figure out a way to play a limited schedule. In that case, you are basically playing spring football, but for a little longer and against real opponents.

Spring football isn’t going out happen. Such a waste of money. I’m thinking a decent number of teams cut football. Maybe not caa but fcs teams

Just adding to the years of not winning a playoff game...

10 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

Spring football isn’t going out happen. Such a waste of money. I’m thinking a decent number of teams cut football. Maybe not caa but fcs teams

Just adding to the years of not winning a playoff game...

Just because you don't want it to happen, doesn't mean it's not going to happen. But that's par for the course. The CAA has been working on a plan. Maybe it's a shitty plan, maybe it's a decent one. Personally, I'm ok either way because spring sports will be playing. There should be a vaccine by then and if they can play, why not play for a limited schedule? Forget the playoffs and just play a CAA title game or play another conference in some sort of special FCS bowl game. A lot of schools who don't play football this season will end up cutting non-revenue sports. Right or wrong.

12 hours ago, mat1992 said:

Just because you don't want it to happen, doesn't mean it's not going to happen. But that's par for the course. The CAA has been working on a plan. Maybe it's a shitty plan, maybe it's a decent one. Personally, I'm ok either way because spring sports will be playing. There should be a vaccine by then and if they can play, why not play for a limited schedule? Forget the playoffs and just play a CAA title game or play another conference in some sort of special FCS bowl game. A lot of schools who don't play football this season will end up cutting non-revenue sports. Right or wrong.

Correct..limited is better than none. I'm hoping for the best.  If we are still unable to play sports by the spring that will mean the entire country will have been on at least partial shut down for over a year.  The implications of that will be far reaching and the last thing on our minds will be sports.