• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
bucketsandbirds

Zane coming back to TU?

I'm with Chris Datres on this one. It's all about chemistry and I liked what we were building. I didn't like what I saw from ZM too many times, especially when he would drive and lose the ball or get snuffed rather than dish it off. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TigerFan54 said:

I'm with Chris Datres on this one. It's all about chemistry and I liked what we were building. I didn't like what I saw from ZM too many times, especially when he would drive and lose the ball or get snuffed rather than dish it off. 

We lost Fobbs, Betrand, Tunstall, Sanders and we have seven new players on the floor counting Zane. And Solly played just a couple of games last season. We basically have eight new guys playing with Thompson, Gibson, Dottin and Gray. Chemistry was going to be an issue whether Zane was coming or not. Now if you are talking about off-the-court chemistry. We had great off-the-court chemistry last season save for one player. We lost in the second round of the CAA's. Had a nice year overall. Not sure that mattered because our frontcourt gave us very little offensive production, our two guard went M.I.A. the last seven games and our freshman point guard was good, but struggled defensively when it mattered.

I'd like to think you get 13 choir boys who are all on the Dean's List and they can sing Kumbaya on bus trips. But talent wins with decent chemistry. If Zane can be a leader, get others involved and put up 15ppg instead of 19.7 and dish out four assists in 30mpgg (instead of 3.1 in 24mpg), with 1.5 spg, we'll be ok. Maybe as a 21-year old, he's a different person than he was as a 19-year old. I'm sure most of us were not super mature at that age and we made mistakes. His mistake might cost him a pro career somewhere, or he can rebound, put up gaudy numbers and help this team win.

As I said before, what did he have other than Morsell in 2017-18 on offense (sorry EK)? Gibson, Allen, Holland can all stroke it. Maybe Mims as well. Mims, Jones and Timberlake are outstanding-to-phenomenal athletes. He also didn't have that in 2017-18. He also has a 7-foot center to correct some defensive mistakes made not just by him, but others.

I'll use the cliche' again, that beggars can't be choosers. It's not like there are a bunch of former 20ppg scorers out there looking to head to TU. Again, there are also circumstances that basically made it a no-brainer not to take him.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, mat1992 said:

We lost Fobbs, Betrand, Tunstall, Sanders and we have seven new players on the floor counting Zane. And Solly played just a couple of games last season. We basically have eight new guys playing with Thompson, Gibson, Dottin and Gray. Chemistry was going to be an issue whether Zane was coming or not. Now if you are talking about off-the-court chemistry. We had great off-the-court chemistry last season save for one player. We lost in the second round of the CAA's. Had a nice year overall. Not sure that mattered because our frontcourt gave us very little offensive production, our two guard went M.I.A. the last seven games and our freshman point guard was good, but struggled defensively when it mattered.

I'd like to think you get 13 choir boys who are all on the Dean's List and they can sing Kumbaya on bus trips. But talent wins with decent chemistry. If Zane can be a leader, get others involved and put up 15ppg instead of 19.7 and dish out four assists in 30mpgg (instead of 3.1 in 24mpg), with 1.5 spg, we'll be ok. Maybe as a 21-year old, he's a different person than he was as a 19-year old. I'm sure most of us were not super mature at that age and we made mistakes. His mistake might cost him a pro career somewhere, or he can rebound, put up gaudy numbers and help this team win.

As I said before, what did he have other than Morsell in 2017-18 on offense (sorry EK)? Gibson, Allen, Holland can all stroke it. Maybe Mims as well. Mims, Jones and Timberlake are outstanding-to-phenomenal athletes. He also didn't have that in 2017-18. He also has a 7-foot center to correct some defensive mistakes made not just by him, but others.

I'll use the cliche' again, that beggars can't be choosers. It's not like there are a bunch of former 20ppg scorers out there looking to head to TU. Again, there are also circumstances that basically made it a no-brainer not to take him.

I mean if Zane can average 4 assists a game, we should throw him and the team a parade down York road. We have one guard since 2011-2012 (Kris Walden! LOL) under Skerry total more than 82 assists in a season. *Checks notes** ZANE MARTIN!

• Haha 1

I’m so so about it but I’m more towards being ok with it . I’m sure this kid has been super humbled and I think we also have a need for his play. Skerry damn sure wouldn’t have made this move if he wasn’t convinced that he deserved another chance. We all know Skerry takes on and off the court just as serious as anyone. I’m just hoping for a season and a waiver. 

On 8/28/2020 at 10:48 AM, TigerNation said:

I’m just hoping for a season and a waiver. 

He doesn't need a waiver right? Didn't he graduate from NM? 

If he had to sit a hear he'd be done, you only get 5 for 4. 

6 minutes ago, griggey20 said:

He doesn't need a waiver right? Didn't he graduate from NM? 

If he had to sit a hear he'd be done, you only get 5 for 4. 

Yeah. He would need to a grad transfer