• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

QB Vincent Amendola transfers from UNC to TU

Saw a little playing time at UNC last season, completing 3 of 4 pass attempts, after walking onto the team.

6’3 & threw for 6,700 yards & 66 TD’s in high school. 

He's 6-2, 240, 315 bench in HS, 400+ pound squat. Probably stronger now. Can run some, though not Flacco at 4.9 40. Did run for 479 yards as a senior in HS. Dude has a cannon.

https://247sports.com/college/north-carolina/Article/Former-UNC-Walk-On-QB-Vincent-Amendola-Enters-Transfer-Portal-150247426/amp/

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/3795628/5c09b1dc041dff0564969dc1

Just watched his highlights. I think you can compare him to Knudson or going back, Jay Amer, in terms of size and arm strength. But I think he puts a better touch on the ball than both of those guys. Puts more air on those deep balls. Some of the shorter passes, seems like he has to throw it a bit lower. Might sail them a bit. But the touch, the size, and his ability to move in the pocket are impressive. He looks a little faster on film than 4.9, but maybe that's the competition, but he runs better than I expected. It looks he had some designed runs from the spread. I can see a little bit of Grant Enders, in terms of his ability to make people miss with his shiftiness and or just stiff-arm them away. I doubt that he can run past a lot of guys at the FCS level. At least not many DBs or LBs in our league. But I do like him a lot.

I've said now that without Shane Simpson, our receivers might be our strength. Jabari Allen has a chance to be special if he can stay healthy. Darian Street, Charles Murphy, Ty Granger, Daniel Thompson, Ryan Rutkowski and Caleb Smith all are 6-1 or taller with size and strength. Murphy, if he gains some weight, could be a vertical threat.

It's nice to see a QB to add some competition in the spring. He's here and he'll be for whatever type of Spring Football we have, be it practice or some games.

• Like 2

Transfers are great to plug in areas of need.  I just believe you build a program through recruiting.  Not a knock on this guy.  I'm sure he will do well.  However,  I hope they are putting at least as much emphasis on recruiting as they are landing the big transfer.  Again..nothing against this QB. Just a comment on what appears to be a philosophy.  It's now September and ALL of the offseason personnel news has been about transfers in and out as TU currently has 2 commits for 2021.

29 minutes ago, Maharba10 said:

Transfers are great to plug in areas of need.  I just believe you build a program through recruiting.  Not a knock on this guy.  I'm sure he will do well.  However,  I hope they are putting at least as much emphasis on recruiting as they are landing the big transfer.  Again..nothing against this QB. Just a comment on what appears to be a philosophy.  It's now September and ALL of the offseason personnel news has been about transfers in and out as TU currently has 2 commits for 2021.

As much as I hate the reputation we have, around the league, as a transfer U, we are what we are. This goes for football and basketball. Rob and Pat have built their reputation on the transfer route, and it has lead to some successful seasons and some where it blew up in their faces.  Recruiting and developing young talent straight from HS has been a major weakness. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TuTigers2012 said:

As much as I hate the reputation we have, around the league, as a transfer U, we are what we are. This goes for football and basketball. Rob and Pat have built their reputation on the transfer route, and it has lead to some successful seasons and some where it blew up in their faces.  Recruiting and developing young talent straight from HS has been a major weakness. 

I agree ☝️ Towson’s biggest weakness is not developing current players or incoming freshman. Culture needs to changed brining in transfers does not always mean better.

Edited by Godfather18

2 hours ago, Maharba10 said:

Again, there will be more than 2 commits.  This year especially,  smart FCS coaches aren’t running around and encouraging their commits to splash the social media world.  A committ ain’t  committed until they sign.  Reality,  most FCS recruits don’t verbal until the fall, as the are waiting on FBS offers.

2 hours ago, TuTigers2012 said:

CAA football is a desired landing spot for FBS transfers. Location and access to quality institutions and resources have caused this.