• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
TuTigers2012

No Spring Football

37 minutes ago, mat1992 said:

Not surprised. I think they want that full fall schedule and probably couldn’t have it with six more games.

So what happens to eligibility for the players since the CAA is having a spring football season?

I figured this might be coming, but I have mixed feelings. Yes, the student-athletes health comes first and if they voted mostly against it (apparently 75%), then you can't force them to play. My guess is that we have a ton of players who are either coming off injuries or have an injury-history and didn't want to play six games in the spring and 10-12 in the fall. I also think (I know) they want to play the ND State game at home and the San Diego State game on the road. Those games may have been in jeopardy had we played six games, because it would be tough to play 17 games in 2021. 

But why are the other schools playing (at the moment)? Are we the only school with doubts about playing those six conference games? Did everybody want to play on every team? I would think that we won't be the last FCS team to opt out

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, mat1992 said:

I figured this might be coming, but I have mixed feelings. Yes, the student-athletes health comes first and if they voted mostly against it (apparently 75%), then you can't force them to play. My guess is that we have a ton of players who are either coming off injuries or have an injury-history and didn't want to play six games in the spring and 10-12 in the fall. I also think (I know) they want to play the ND State game at home and the San Diego State game on the road. Those games may have been in jeopardy had we played six games, because it would be tough to play 17 games in 2021. 

But why are the other schools playing (at the moment)? Are we the only school with doubts about playing those six conference games? Did everybody want to play on every team? I would think that we won't be the last FCS team to opt out

You make a good point. Covid  isn’t going away anytime soon so it will be interesting to see how it plays out. I sure hope we aren’t the only ones to opt out. 
Early on it was obvious RA didn’t want to play a spring season and I do get his point although I was hoping for some sort of normalcy and to be able  to watch some games. 
On another note, I heard Miller is the #1 QB right now. I’d be interested to hear your commentary if your able to get to any fall practices. 

One other thing to add is how they will deal with the scholarship situation. There are currently 18 seniors and my guess is roughly 16 are on full or partial scholarship. I also don't know which of those seniors have jobs lined up and have to go on with their lives. If there are only a few of those, you'll have a very small freshman class in terms of scholarships. Other schools will have the same issues, because I'm sure they will give their seniors an option to return for the fall.