• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

MBB falls to 0-3 after loss to Buffalo

I like how our website's headline writers say a player 'earned' a certain amount of points.  Sounds like we have a rookie sportswriter in our midst.  My impressions from this weekend are few.  We went 0 for 3 against teams that are likely better than anyone in our conference.  We played 3 games in 3 days and our shooting showed it today.  Most alarming is the effort on the boards and at the defensive end of the floor.  I get it that Buffalo was bigger than us but height only gets you so far with rebounding.  There has to be effort and depending on how much contact is allowed in practice, I'd be borrowing Izzo's Spartan drill when they get back into the gym.  That and the complete ignorance of shooters, which has been a giant problem in the past, bothers me the most.  33 3's allowed in the first 3 games is inexcusable (though, 5 of 21 allowed today is a step in the right direction).

What one aspect of the this team and program that has irked me...  we couldn’t find a legit Euro recruit that can shoot it!?

Seems like every other mid major has found one.  

If you watched USF upset today... Golden coaches it up and you can’t tell me the Dons roster is that much more stellar than the Tigers.  Golden just makes the pieces fit that he recruits and his analytics aka geek style ball handed down from Kyle Smith at Wash State now is effective. 

3 games in and I’m wondering why Pat picked certain players is all.  

Thank god we are out of Connecticut. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Chris Datres said:

I like how our website's headline writers say a player 'earned' a certain amount of points.  Sounds like we have a rookie sportswriter in our midst.  My impressions from this weekend are few.  We went 0 for 3 against teams that are likely better than anyone in our conference.  We played 3 games in 3 days and our shooting showed it today.  Most alarming is the effort on the boards and at the defensive end of the floor.  I get it that Buffalo was bigger than us but height only gets you so far with rebounding.  There has to be effort and depending on how much contact is allowed in practice, I'd be borrowing Izzo's Spartan drill when they get back into the gym.  That and the complete ignorance of shooters, which has been a giant problem in the past, bothers me the most.  33 3's allowed in the first 3 games is inexcusable (though, 5 of 21 allowed today is a step in the right direction).

Yeah I think the SID we had before who over exaggerated everything left and they have a newbie. 

3s are a big part of basketball now (except in Towson, Md). I’m more concerned about the quality of threes that’s we are giving up. These people are WIDE open. And then with how we run around with chickens with our heads cut off, do not box out on those long rebounds 

9 hours ago, Bay Area Tiger said:

What one aspect of the this team and program that has irked me...  we couldn’t find a legit Euro recruit that can shoot it!?

Seems like every other mid major has found one.  

If you watched USF upset today... Golden coaches it up and you can’t tell me the Dons roster is that much more stellar than the Tigers.  Golden just makes the pieces fit that he recruits and his analytics aka geek style ball handed down from Kyle Smith at Wash State now is effective. 

Thank god we are out of Connecticut. 

We can’t find any good shooters No matter where they come from.  The caa is god awful this year and that might be the saving grace. But such an old team playing so poorly is beyond disappointing

Edited by TuTigers2012

1 hour ago, TuTigers2012 said:

Yeah I think the SID we had before who over exaggerated everything left and they have a newbie. 

3s are a big part of basketball now (except in Towson, Md). I’m more concerned about the quality of threes that’s we are giving up. These people are WIDE open. And then with how we run around with chickens with our heads cut off, do not box out on those long rebounds 

Basketball life has changed and thanks to the analytics world and NBA teams like the Houston Rockets (and to an extent, Villanova has embraced it as well), the 3 is more important than a low-post game.  Our defenses have NEVER been good at being able to get out and defend perimeter shooters.  It often feels like teams have their best shooting nights of the season against us.  Whether it's scheme, lack of awareness, lack of quickness (which I doubt), or miscommunication, it's almost comical how much we give up behind the arc.  And then when we do rotate out on a 3-point shooter, we foul them.  The facepalms while watching or listening never seem to end.

11 hours ago, Bay Area Tiger said:

Mainly because they fit his system.  All coaches do it and it's frustrating when players are recruited and signed and you might get excited for them and then they come in and don't produce the way you think they can.  As stated above, the 3 is the new way of life in basketball.  We haven't been able to bring in a dead-eye shooter because the scheme calls for defense and rebounding.  It almost feels like sometimes that we recruit in the hopes that if we can score 60-65 points, it'll be enough to win games.  

• Thanks 1

Well, if you look at percentages, Cam Allen shot around 40% from 3 last season at Bakersfield and Curtis Holland shot 39% from 3 with High Point in 12 games. Gibson shot around 36% from 3 and when he's open, now that he's playing more off the ball, he certainly should get good looks. Even Juwan Gray was a good 3-point shooter his first season at San Diego and doesn't look like one here. Zane shot 38% from 3pt in his sophomore season here. To say we don't recruit or bring in shooters is plain wrong. But what happens when they get here? I don't think it's because they have to play defense. Maybe some of it is scheme or finding guys that will actually pass the ball. That to me is the bigger overall problem right now offensively. We just don't have good enough or willing enough passers and our bigs, other than JB, are really skilled.

Should we shoot more threes during a normal game? Without a doubt, especially since we have capable guys including Timberlake from the corner. We should be shooting at least 20 a game unless there's a matchup where they can't stop us below or Zane's obvious lefty drives. For that to take effect, you also need to push the ball more off misses (assuming we rebound) and have people that set others up other than Zane. To me, right now, and it's early, everything runs through Zane and that's not the way it should be. Certainly, he should be the main guy, but Gibson, Timberlake, Allen, Dottin and to a lesser extent Gray, have to be more aware of others and be more creative on offense. If Holland was healthy, teams would have to at least be aware of another threat.

3 hours ago, mat1992 said:

Well, if you look at percentages, Cam Allen shot around 40% from 3 last season at Bakersfield and Curtis Holland shot 39% from 3 with High Point in 12 games. Gibson shot around 36% from 3 and when he's open, now that he's playing more off the ball, he certainly should get good looks. Even Juwan Gray was a good 3-point shooter his first season at San Diego and doesn't look like one here. Zane shot 38% from 3pt in his sophomore season here. To say we don't recruit or bring in shooters is plain wrong. But what happens when they get here? I don't think it's because they have to play defense. Maybe some of it is scheme or finding guys that will actually pass the ball. That to me is the bigger overall problem right now offensively. We just don't have good enough or willing enough passers and our bigs, other than JB, are really skilled.

Should we shoot more threes during a normal game? Without a doubt, especially since we have capable guys including Timberlake from the corner. We should be shooting at least 20 a game unless there's a matchup where they can't stop us below or Zane's obvious lefty drives. For that to take effect, you also need to push the ball more off misses (assuming we rebound) and have people that set others up other than Zane. To me, right now, and it's early, everything runs through Zane and that's not the way it should be. Certainly, he should be the main guy, but Gibson, Timberlake, Allen, Dottin and to a lesser extent Gray, have to be more aware of others and be more creative on offense. If Holland was healthy, teams would have to at least be aware of another threat.

We have semi capable shooters. Not actual knock down shooters. Even when four was here he was worse in a tiger uniform.
No pg and development of players and pg play is an issue. What other excuses can people come up?!  Players typically get worse here or stay the same. Especially offensively. 

Same story different year. If we can’t score more than 65 (we can’t.) thats fine if we play elite defense.  We don’t and I see too many people of position.  But let’s keep running our offense though offensive rebounding and praise pat for changing the culture. Even if that was 8 years ago with a 2 time POTY and 0 that’s zero caa title tris.