• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

RIP Phil Albert

I was at Towson from 1974-1978. I played another sport but had Coach Albert in my sophomore year for a mini-mester class on Coaching football.  During my tenure Dan Dullea ( who unfortunately has also passed) and Ron Meehan were the quarterbacks. Mike Preston nailed it in his article.  In a time when Nebraska, Ohio State, and Michigan were running teams Towson was spread out with three wide receivers with intricate passing routes. He was ahead of his time. Towson was fun to watch. I will never forget watching the national championship game when were behind by I believe 28 points in the 4th quarter and we came back to tie the game. Towson on TV was a huge deal at that time. Coach Albert was a great person but above all else Coach Albert was a tremendous person.   

Just want to add that I was extremely fortunate to cover Towson football from 1989-91 as a student. Yes, the program went something like 5-27 and Coach A. could have been difficult to deal with. But he wasn't. Many coaches would have been, especially someone who had so much success in D3 and 2, that was outmanned in most games in 1-AA because we wouldn't put the resources necessary into scholarships, facilities, etc. I think that's one of the reasons I'm still covering the program today. That there was such a familial atmosphere created by Coach Albert, Coach Runk and Coach Filbert. It's why those programs did great things and those coaches are in the Hall of Fame. But they were also class acts. Not just good coaches. 

As RA said today, Coach A was a great storyteller. That's part of the job as a coach is to be a vocal leader. Not just teach the Xs and Os. To inspire. To educate. To entertain. It's probably why he made such a good teacher. Wish I would have been around to take one of his classes. Back then, you could see a Coach Runk teach racquetball (yes I took the class) or Coach Angotti teach Sports Performance or Performance of Sport whatever it was called back then. Different times back then when you'd see a future Hall of Fame coach teach a class.

I had Coach A for a half-credit bowling class my first semester. That was the fall of 1972, his first year as head coach, when we won just one game. I had a feeling better things were in store, and indeed they were. I'll second what everyone here has said: He was a wonderful man and a great coach.

An idea. Name the field after Coach Albert. Phil Albert Field at Unitas Stadium. Move Doc’s name to the renovated soccer field. He was synonymous with that sport. Name the new field hockey stadium after Nance Reed. 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, mat1992 said:

An idea. Name the field after Coach Albert. Phil Albert Field at Unitas Stadium. Move Doc’s name to the renovated soccer field. Name the new field hockey field after Nance Reed. 

I like it!