• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

MBB escapes Coppin State 78-73 to get their first win

I was there, though I didn't have my Zoom set up right on my I-Pad. So I wasn't involved in the press conference, but I did hear it. At some point, these players literally looked like they've never played with one another. Part of that may be due to the COVID pause of nearly a month and the fact that Gibson hasn't practiced hardly at all and is out. Timberlake and Gray missed a lot of practice time early, but I think today showed one thing. Towson can win without Zane Martin. Or Zane having his worst-ever game going 1-for-13 and turning the ball over eight times.

Timberlake stepped up with 18 points, but I thought for the first time, the transfers Mims and Allen finally had solid contributions. Mims had 10 points on 5-of-7 shooting and whilAllen had just five, he ran the team pretty well in the second half. Unfortunately, Mims has now found himself as a key guy and will need to play 20-25 minutes per game (needs to stay out of foul trouble) because PS mentioned at the Press Zoom Conference that Gray may have suffered an Achilles' injury, when he was hurt late in the game. Thought Gray had a solid game with 12 and 9 in 33 minutes and he's one of the leaders on defense. They don't communicate particularly well and if he's out for the year, that's just devastating.

Solomon also played the best stretch of his career in about five minutes of the second half. He'll likely start now with Charles Thompson at center. CT had a nice game with 12 points and 11 boards, but he needs to finish better around the rim and Coppin was small, so it's tough to judge. Victor didn't play much because Coppin plays a very small lineup and their bigs can stroke the three. I didn't think they were bad, just small. Bad news? 16 turnovers. Good news? 15 assists and outrebounded the Eagles 53-30. 

At times, we looked pretty good and at other times we looked like one of the worst D1 teams in the nation. The rotation takes a major hit with Gibson, Holland and Gray now out.

C Thompson, Victor
PF Solomon, Bieku

SF Mims, Timberlake

SG Timberlake, Zane

PG Zane, Allen, Dottin

So, a few thoughts (disclaimer-I didn’t watch the game);

(1) A W is a W. I don’t want to be too dismissive of this win. After all, Coppin only lost to Duke by 10 earlier this season;

(2) Sounds like Gray is out for the season. No clue as to if/when Gibson & Holland will be back.  As seems to be the case every year, what looked like a deep squad now is paper thin in terms of the bench. It’s easy to say “this happens every year to programs all around the country,” but not necessarily every year, like it does to us;

(3) He’s probably a nice young man, and I wish him nothing but success when he leaves TU, but I’m increasingly convinced Victor U, other than maybe an aberrational game here or there (if we’re lucky) will be a non-factor on the court this season. Just because someone is tall and athletic doesn’t mean they’re a good basketball player. I’m skeptical he’ll avg 5 ppg & I’m also not convinced he’s going to be the defensive savior some might have hoped;

(4) at the risk of stating the obvious, it would appear wins will be at a premium this season. Even in a bad conference, someone has got to be the doormat, and that might be us 

I would say that Victor, although he's been extremely disappointing, had no role in a game like today, chasing around 6-foot-7 guys shooting three-pointers. I think Victor's presence will be needed against Painter and some of the other decent big men in the CAA. But you need a certain toughness and nastiness to play in the paint. Charles has that. Even Solly might have that. Not sure Victor does.

The way Soloman played today was really what we got a glimpse of his freshman season.  So needed.  

I’ve seen Holland weeks+ in a row shooting behind Skerry during the weekly show.   He must be close to a return right!?  

Despite his lack of scoring..  check the box...  Zane contributed 8 boards and 4 assists. 

Nice to get a win in this crazy Covid season. 

34 minutes ago, mat1992 said:

Lol. Coppin isn’t good. Mason lost at home today to Norfolk state..

much better second half. Lucky Coppin can’t shoot fts and had no interest in rebounding.  If not, this could have been ugly