• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

MBB escapes Coppin State 78-73 to get their first win

Charles Thompson is a nice pillar to have for the program.  Of course we need more talent but he has been a nice fit and truly loves Towson. 

Edited by Bay Area Tiger
  • Like 1

The good news - we won’t go winless this season. 

The bad news - don’t think anyone in the CAA will shoot free throws that poorly or will get hammered on the boards like Coppin did.  And they only lost by 5.  Had they not gone into an offensive funk beginning at the 10:00 mark, they win that game.  In other words, we’re not very good right now.  Part of that is still trying to figure out a rotation after the Covid pause. But a lot of it is we just have very average players and that leads to the wild inconsistencies that we have seen at the offensive end of the floor.  Thompson can be a force but he needs to get meaner.  The U’s need to be quicker and better coordinated.  Mims and Allen definitely show some promise but Mims has gotta stay on the floor.  We have a pretty good idea of what we have with Timberlake and Gibson.  Hopefully, Gibson is back very soon.  When you take the sum of the parts, I don’t see much to get excited about right now.  Maybe that changes once conference season hits and we find the CAA isn’t all that good either.  

And then there’s Zane.  My jury is still out on him.  Today didn’t help his cause.  Yes, the 8 boards and 4 assists were helpful on a day he couldn’t shoot.  The steal for the dunk was the catalyst in the 15-2 run to take the game.  But he’s also a flippin 5th year guy.  And 5th year guys are supposed to be smart.  Driving for a layup in a 9-pt game with :46 left and the opponent not interested in fouling is not a smart play.  Stand out there and kill the clock.  Instead, he misses, Coppin gets a 3, and the game becomes unnecessarily close.  After a stunt like that, I really don’t have much confidence in him when it’s a 2-pt game and 30 seconds on the clock. 

I really don't think we know what we have in Gibson or Timberlake. Gibson should have made an improvement from his freshman season, but he's been injured since preseason practice. It's tough to judge him and he did struggle in the Bubble, not sure how much that had to do with his back injury. I think Timberlake has shown flashes as a scorer this season in just five games. I think he's too athletic to be just a shooter. That was fine today because he was making them. Some days he won't. Has to get to the basket more, but I think he's getting closer to being a solid second option or first if Zane continues his struggles (he was bad against Mason as well). Of course, if we ran more, with Mims and Timberlake on the floor, those guys would benefit in transition.

Bottom line is that if Zane is going to play poorly, we're not winning against decent competition. The bright side of today was that we had other guys step up and yes, their poor foul shooting helped. Our horrific passing in the first half helped Coppin State as well. That passing got a lot better as the game went on.

14 hours ago, Bay Area Tiger said:

Charles Thompson is a nice pillar to have for the program.  Of course we need more talent but he has been a nice fit and truly loves Towson. 

Agreed. He plays hard. TJ Rivera/dottin type. Not gifted with skill but plays hard and likes to be here

14 hours ago, Chris Datres said:

The good news - we won’t go winless this season. 

The bad news - don’t think anyone in the CAA will shoot free throws that poorly or will get hammered on the boards like Coppin did.  And they only lost by 5.  Had they not gone into an offensive funk beginning at the 10:00 mark, they win that game.  In other words, we’re not very good right now.  Part of that is still trying to figure out a rotation after the Covid pause. But a lot of it is we just have very average players and that leads to the wild inconsistencies that we have seen at the offensive end of the floor.  Thompson can be a force but he needs to get meaner.  The U’s need to be quicker and better coordinated.  Mims and Allen definitely show some promise but Mims has gotta stay on the floor.  We have a pretty good idea of what we have with Timberlake and Gibson.  Hopefully, Gibson is back very soon.  When you take the sum of the parts, I don’t see much to get excited about right now.  Maybe that changes once conference season hits and we find the CAA isn’t all that good either.  

And then there’s Zane.  My jury is still out on him.  Today didn’t help his cause.  Yes, the 8 boards and 4 assists were helpful on a day he couldn’t shoot.  The steal for the dunk was the catalyst in the 15-2 run to take the game.  But he’s also a flippin 5th year guy.  And 5th year guys are supposed to be smart.  Driving for a layup in a 9-pt game with :46 left and the opponent not interested in fouling is not a smart play.  Stand out there and kill the clock.  Instead, he misses, Coppin gets a 3, and the game becomes unnecessarily close.  After a stunt like that, I really don’t have much confidence in him when it’s a 2-pt game and 30 seconds on the clock. 

A lot of our players need to get better coordinated Lol.