• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

MBB falls to JMU 81-72 (story up)

8 minutes ago, mat1992 said:

True, they are doing great now. 

6-6 with a hoop group guy and zero head coaching experience.  While our little guy has been in charge for a decade and zero to show for it. Unless you count the community service National champ banner. 

Jmu new players and new coach, kicking our ass on the road. Sure Zane wasn’t there. 2020-21 Zane sucks.   Missing the game short notice without others having notice, you and others saying he was starting, but a total MIA. SOT. SOS

3 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

The “covid pauses + new players” argument might resonate more if we weren’t witnessing another season of subpar shooting in general and in particular from 3, coupled with the usual low number of assists. Running the shot clock down & then chucking up a brick isn’t a recipe for success. I’ve seen this movie before and I know how it ends 

Thank you.  Scouting can be done via zoom.  But  sure lets not  guard their best player..  time for the entire staff, old man Clarke, the other useless assistants and motos brother to be canned. If we are stuck with loser skerry.. Atleast get some staff around you who know how to (try and look like they can) coach and win 

22 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

We have a new winner in the rationalization contest. This is not a personal dig at the poster, but this doesn’t fly with me.  Many teams have new players and have been on pause. Sure, those issues can’t be discounted, but let’s face it, the real problems are a coaching staff that brought in 2 non-impact transfers (Allen & Victor) & failed to bring in an impact freshman. As far as this season goes, it’s really 3 non-impact transfers (Holland) and let’s call it like it is-really a 4th non-impact transfer, at least so far, in ZM. 

And forget this crop for a minute. I’m still waiting, after 10 years or so, for a PG. 

I didn't want to judge this team today. I really didn't. I didn't critique every play and possession like I normally do because it's not fair to the players, who barely know each other on the floor. You could tell Gibson has practiced once since Nov. 27. He looked rusty as hell. 

Now as far judging them after six games in two months, I would go with a couple of observations that I brought up in the chat"

1)Victor and Solomon. Solly shows flashes, but is not consistent. Victor just doesn't do it for me. I don't see the effort on the boards. He will block some shots, but he doesn't rebound in traffic. He gets pushed around in the paint. He doesn't really have the strength to go inside and post up. Solly does but he's 6-7, 230ish and is not going to dominate a player who is of similar size or bigger.

2)I will have patience with Mims. Playing Mims on Lewis early on was probably not the right move, but what are the options? Mims has the length and athletic ability to defend, but he hasn't played much since HS and it shows. He took a couple of horrific shots in the second half, after shooting it great in the first half. With Zane out and who knows how long, we need Mims to play at least 25 minutes. Timberlake is going to need to step up on both ends of the floor. Dottin had to play a lot today, because he was the only one who stayed with Lewis.

3)Loss of Gray hurts us defensively. Solly and Bieku basically played power forward today. I don't think Solly is in the right position at times and struggles to defend shooters. Thompson slid in there with Victor. They have no stretch 4 and not say Gray was good as a shooter, but he could occasionally make 3s and he was a leader defensively.

4)To run or not to run? I'm always pushing them to run more and push the pace, but when you turn the ball over at a drop of a hat, it's tough to say run it after every miss. Dottin just doesn't make the right decisions half the time. When he puts his head down, there's a 75% chance he's going to run over someone. Allen seems to be a scoring point guard who doesn't set up people well and Gibby isn't right at the moment. He doesn't have his legs back. I do worry about him defensively. That's probably why they brought in two point guards next season, to move him to the 2. But I do think at some point, it's time to turn them loose and get Mims and Timberlake on the break. That is their strength.

5)I don't care if people give up on this program in the middle of a pandemic. I won't. They are tough to watch, but that was actually a better effort than when they played Coppin State and beat them. There have been recruiting mistakes. I don't disagree with that. Victor? He's a 7-footer who doesn't like to mix it up? Mims? Too early to tell. Allen? Not a fan. Gibson? He has shown promise. You can't judge him this season considering he's barely played and practiced. Bieku and Jones too early to tell. Timberlake has been fine. Wasn't heavily-recruited. But you can't rely on him as your number one or number two scorer. He just doesn't shoot well enough and still has that hitch in his mid-range jumper. Dottin? No. CT? Not bad. No range on offense and needs to be better on boards. He does have a motor on the offensive boars. But bottom line is these guys are role players. Mims could be a really nice player but don't see it with anybody else. There no Brian Fobbs at the moment and the hope of course, was that would be Zane, but he's not here. I think Pat knocked it out of the park with the recruitment of Fobbs. He needs to find at least two players like that every year as freshmen or transfers.

6)Even if it's bad basketball, I'm glad we're playing something. I've been covering this program every year since 1989. I'm not asking for sympathy, but it feels close to normal to be out there, even without the band and 1,500+ fans. We've been crushed by COVID-19 as bad as anyone in the CAA along with our women's program. Crushed. Today, Coach Richardson came out that she was dealing with it. She's over 60 so I certainly wish her the best and hope she gets back on the court soon. I love this program and will continue to support it in my own way (financially as well) until I can't physically do it anymore.

• Thanks 1

Mat, I think you identified the key problem (at least as I see it)-this coach recruits too many role players and not nearly enough 1st team all conference types. In over 10 years, Benimon is it. Fobbs, Moto and Morsell were all good, though I don’t think any of them made 1st team all conference. Am I forgetting anyone?

17 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

6-6 with a hoop group guy and zero head coaching experience.  While our little guy has been in charge for a decade and zero to show for it. Unless you count the community service National champ banner. 

Jmu new players and new coach, kicking our ass on the road. Sure Zane wasn’t there. 2020-21 Zane sucks.   Missing the game short notice without others having notice, you and others saying he was starting, but a total MIA. SOT. SOS

Our little guy? Seriously? Why take it there? 2020-21 Zane scored 45 points against Buffalo and San Francisco. The next two games were abysmal. Something might have been wrong with him or his family. Not sure. But yes, in your critical world, he's terrible after two bad games.

Hofstra lost at Delaware who had 7 players on Friday. Maybe seven scholarship players. I don't think Inglesby is that good, but that was probably the best conference win for any team considering their circumstances. But at least they have played games.

• Like 1

Mat, I think you identified the key problem (at least as I see it)-this coach recruits too many role players and not nearly enough 1st team all conference types. In over 10 years, Benimon is it. Fobbs, Moto and Morsell were all good, though I don’t think any of them made 1st team all conference. Am I forgetting anyone?

I don't think he's trying to recruit role players, but bottom line is that's what most of them turn into. Burwell was good as was Guthrie. Let's face it. Betrand was a talent. What happened there was more off-the-court than on, but he has talent. I wish it would have worked out because he could have been the guy this season. 

10 minutes ago, mat1992 said:

I didn't want to judge this team today. I really didn't. I didn't critique every play and possession like I normally do because it's not fair to the players, who barely know each other on the floor. You could tell Gibson has practiced once since Nov. 27. He looked rusty as hell. 

Now as far judging them after six games in two months, I would go with a couple of observations that I brought up in the chat"

1)Victor and Solomon. Solly shows flashes, but is not consistent. Victor just doesn't do it for me. I don't see the effort on the boards. He will block some shots, but he doesn't rebound in traffic. He gets pushed around in the paint. He doesn't really have the strength to go inside and post up. Solly does but he's 6-7, 230ish and is not going to dominate a player who is of similar size or bigger.

2)I will have patience with Mims. Playing Mims on Lewis early on was probably not the right move, but what are the options? Mims has the length and athletic ability to defend, but he hasn't played much since HS and it shows. He took a couple of horrific shots in the second half, after shooting it great in the first half. With Zane out and who knows how long, we need Mims to play at least 25 minutes. Timberlake is going to need to step up on both ends of the floor. Dottin had to play a lot today, because he was the only one who stayed with Lewis.

3)Loss of Gray hurts us defensively. Solly and Bieku basically played power forward today. I don't think Solly is in the right position at times and struggles to defend shooters. Thompson slid in there with Victor. They have no stretch 4 and not say Gray was good as a shooter, but he could occasionally make 3s and he was a leader defensively.

4)To run or not to run? I'm always pushing them to run more and push the pace, but when you turn the ball over at a drop of a hat, it's tough to say run it after every miss. Dottin just doesn't make the right decisions half the time. When he puts his head down, there's a 75% chance he's going to run over someone. Allen seems to be a scoring point guard who doesn't set up people well and Gibby isn't right at the moment. He doesn't have his legs back. I do worry about him defensively. That's probably why they brought in two point guards next season, to move him to the 2. But I do think at some point, it's time to turn them loose and get Mims and Timberlake on the break. That is their strength.

5)I don't care if people give up on this program in the middle of a pandemic. I won't. They are tough to watch, but that was actually a better effort than when they played Coppin State and beat them. There have been recruiting mistakes. I don't disagree with that. Victor? He's a 7-footer who doesn't like to mix it up? Mims? Too early to tell. Allen? Not a fan. Gibson? He has shown promise. You can't judge him this season considering he's barely played and practiced. Bieku and Jones too early to tell. Timberlake has been fine. Wasn't heavily-recruited. But you can't rely on him as your number one or number two scorer. He just doesn't shoot well enough and still has that hitch in his mid-range jumper. Dottin? No. CT? Not bad. No range on offense and needs to be better on boards. He does have a motor on the offensive boars. But bottom line is these guys are role players. Mims could be a really nice player but don't see it with anybody else. There no Brian Fobbs at the moment and the hope of course, was that would be Zane, but he's not here. I think Pat knocked it out of the park with the recruitment of Fobbs. He needs to find at least two players like that every year as freshmen or transfers.

6)Even if it's bad basketball, I'm glad we're playing something. I've been covering this program every year since 1989. I'm not asking for sympathy, but it feels close to normal to be out there, even without the band and 1,500+ fans. We've been crushed by COVID-19 as bad as anyone in the CAA along with our women's program. Crushed. Today, Coach Richardson came out that she was dealing with it. She's over 60 so I certainly wish her the best and hope she gets back on the court soon. I love this program and will continue to support it in my own way (financially as well) until I can't physically do it anymore.

Awful play and same recurring and results for a while.  Yes Covid is bad.  And it’s hit lots of programs hard...

I do hope coach Richardson is ok and gets better. She Doesn’t need to be coaching, but does. And Actually wins. She’s big with supporting special Olympics too. 

it is good to have basketball back and other sports. Happy that there are Towson supporters out there who will continue to even with no leadership and a short football and bake all coach.  We all are not ever going to agree. Some are okay  .500 play, some aren’t. 

No one is holding him accountable. 

7 minutes ago, mat1992 said:

Our little guy? Seriously? Why take it there? 2020-21 Zane scored 45 points against Buffalo and San Francisco. The next two games were abysmal. Something might have been wrong with him or his family. Not sure. But yes, in your critical world, he's terrible after two bad games.

Hofstra lost at Delaware who had 7 players on Friday. Maybe seven scholarship players. I don't think Inglesby is that good, but that was probably the best conference win for any team considering their circumstances. But at least they have played games.

Zane left us once.  And was a mess as the end of his soph year.  He is a good player. Bad teammate and not anything close to a savior 1-13 with 50 turnovers against Coppin? 

Ingelsby has been bad but be patient. Give him a decade. He did just lose his best player ..

1 minute ago, mat1992 said:

I don't think he's trying to recruit role players, but bottom line is that's what most of them turn into. Burwell was good as was Guthrie. Let's face it. Betrand was a talent. What happened there was more off-the-court than on, but he has talent. I wish it would have worked out because he could have been the guy this season. 

I agree that he’s not trying to recruit role players, but that’s what most of his recruits turn out to be. Therefore, I suggest it’s not unfair to question his assessment of talent. 1 1st team player in over a decade, and he was at the very beginning of his tenure, when he had assistants who were adept at recruiting. If you were a recruit with offensive talent, would you come play for this staff? 

I agree that he’s not trying to recruit role players, but that’s what most of his recruits turn out to be. Therefore, I suggest it’s not unfair to question his assessment of talent. 1 1st team player in over a decade, and he was at the very beginning of his tenure, when he had assistants who were adept at recruiting. If you were a recruit with offensive talent, would you come play for this staff? 

No.  But his “offense” and spreading out the playing time will never allow for a first time player.  
kris Walden (most on here won’t remember the name) is the leading guard in assists under skerry