• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

MBB falls to JMU 81-72 (story up)

Quotes from the Zoom Conference and yes, Zane Martin missed the game due to "personal reasons". 

Kansas State/Texas
BYU/San Fran
BC/Notre Dame

Skerry opening comment
"The two big things in our scouting report. One was obviously Matt Lewis. He was the Preseason Player of the Year. He just destroyed us. Hard to beat anybody when he gets 30. We wanted to keep him off the foul line, which we did, but he got it going. We didn't do a good job of running him off the line. Our other big key was not commit live ball turnovers, which we did. I thought our guys played hard. We have a lot of work to do. They were sharp. Matt Lewis was sensational. He looked like an NBA player today."

On first game since Dec. 26
"Guys appreciate the opportunity to play again. This was our third game in 50 days and our 12th practice. That's not a great formula to get rhythm we've learned. This is a different year. We have to try and get better. And test negative, so we can get a rhythm. We're going to try and play as many games as possible. We need to try and deal with it."

On Lewis 
The way he shot the ball. Made nine threes. Usually we're a good defensive team. He just stuck shot after shot. We talked about running him off the line and contesting better. He still has to make the shot. He was sensational. Make shots like that, you can make a lot of money.

On Zane
"It's personal. That's all it is. I would never talk about something personal. We had to adjust on the fly."

On turnovers
"I get all that stuff. I still think we're capable of getting better. Yes, we haven't practiced much and all that good stuff. It's good to get Gibson back out there. Yesterday was his first practice since Nov. 27. He'll get his legs back and under him. We have a high standard for our group. We're not looking to talk about how many practices we had. When the ball goes up, we have to be ready. I told the guys that we play another tough team on Monday and if the kid (Jaylen) Sims puts up 30 and we commit 19 turnovers, we're not quite committed to having success or we're not good enough. That's the fun part is how do we go back and get better. Hopefully, we have enough guys on the floor to accomplish that."

On second half defense and rebounding
"We got it to seven and then we give up an offensive rebound. We were +9 on the glass, which is good. A couple of untimely rebounds we gave up and untimely turnovers. They made us pay. We're not there yet, but they have a good club. Lewis was a major difference-maker. 

Well obviously they can get better. You can’t be much worse than they are now.  
Sure he has to give credit to Jmu but they were 2-4 coming in. With a new coach and a ton of new players...

”plus 9 on the glass” yawn. Same story different game.  Effort wasn’t there. We expect skill to be missing as he cannot recruit that, but the effort lacking is another thing. 

In fairness, between the rust from not playing, & playing without ZM and Holland (who I assume is a lost cause for this season) we’re not going to beat many teams. But there’s more to it. When you’re 7’0 C plays 22 minutes with 2 points and 4 boards, well, how can I put this diplomatically...either he’s not interested and/or he’s simply not very good. It really calls into question the ability of whoever on the staff advocated for signing him. It’s too convenient a response to say he was highly recruited out of HS. 

The other issue I have is 5-19 from 3. PS can’t, or won’t, recruit kids who can shoot 3’s, while opponents rain them on us indiscriminately. His coaching model of crash the boards and play hard nosed D has gone the way of rotary dialing and Beta and VHS. Either he doesn’t get it, or gets it, but refuses to change. Either is bad. 

Regrettably, we are trending as having come full circle from his 1st season. I don’t believe it’s hyperbole to suggest the ceiling for this squad is 2-4 conference wins for the whole season 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well Said 88.......

Lets have some fun with stats:

- We are 303rd in the nation (out of 338) in 3 point shooting as 29%

- We are 335th (out of 338) in assists at 9 a game

- We are 329th in assist / turnover ration

It's like this each year under Skerry.  Just once can we have a team that can shoot 40%+ from 3?  Be in the top 1/2 in assists?  We won the rebounding battle tonight though, so I guess Skerry is satisfied.  Oh yeah, and it appears he whiffed again on another recruiting class.  No CAA all-rookie team members to be found, yet again....

When is PS contract up?  

By the time his contract is up, we’ll all be wearing silver jumpsuits and puttering around in hover cars, like on the Jetsons 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, tu_fan said:

Well Said 88.......

Lets have some fun with stats:

- We are 303rd in the nation (out of 338) in 3 point shooting as 29%

- We are 335th (out of 338) in assists at 9 a game

- We are 329th in assist / turnover ration

It's like this each year under Skerry.  Just once can we have a team that can shoot 40%+ from 3?  Be in the top 1/2 in assists?  We won the rebounding battle tonight though, so I guess Skerry is satisfied.  Oh yeah, and it appears he whiffed again on another recruiting class.  No CAA all-rookie team members to be found, yet again....

When is PS contract up?  

Year in and year out we don’t take enough 3’s, don’t make enough 3’s & don’t dish out enough assists. And there’s no accountability for this dreck. It’s like the Hofstra coach said last season-our best offensive play is a missed shot 

Edited by TSU88

As pathetic as PK was, his offense was light years better than Skerry's.  I think Skerry is the worst offensive coach in all of D1 - the stats bear this out.  Oh yeah, we are 310th in turnover margin too, despite having some athletes.