• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

MBB holds on to defeat UNCW 78-74

https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/college/basketball/bs-sp-bkc-uncw-towson-men-20210119-dcivpkncgng2rgkk46s5zctqza-story.html

Zane Martin scored 24 points, grabbed six boards and dished out five assists to lead the Tigers to a 78-74 win over UNCW and a sweep in their two-game, two-day series. Towson trailed at the half by four, but they jumped out to a 21-4 run. They were up by as many as 15 with 4:40 left before Jason Gibson was apparently fouled. He was knocked down on the floor, Solomon Uyaelunmo was protecting him, thinking that he was kicked by Mike Okauru. Gibson and Uyaelunmo both picked up technical fouls and Okauro wound up living at the line for the next 30 seconds. He scored 25 points to lead the Seahawks, while Jaylen Sims was held to just four points. He didn't play down the stretch.

Bottom line is that the Tigers shot 61% in the second half (17-of-28) and scored 46 points.

http://stats.statbroadcast.com/broadcast/?id=319831

4 minutes ago, Bay Area Tiger said:

Maybe these back to backs the rest of the way will be beneficial to our roster and coaching staff.  
Nice sweep. 
Credit to the program.  

UNCW does have injuries as do we. But it helps to have a nine-man rotation when you have the back-to-backs. Dottin played just three minutes today, but you have Gibson, Allen, Zane, Mims and Timberlake getting most of the action at the guard/wing spots. Solly, Victor, Thompson and Bieku up front. So 10 guys are playing with Jakigh and Biekeu playing a combined eight minutes

13 to go on schedule plus any makeups.  Really hope they can test negative the rest of the way.  
Our private school HS 🏀 programs tried starting up this week and already some positive tests.  
I’ve had the test done 3 times and sounds like it is done differently across the country and hence why some tests show positive and are really negative and vice versa. 

Credit to the team for giving it a third shot. Not easy.  Again we beat up PS and co.   Lets praise them today for a sweep at home.  Fair is fair.  

Edited by Bay Area Tiger

2 minutes ago, Bay Area Tiger said:

13 to go on schedule plus any makeups.  Really hope they can test negative the rest of the way.  
Our private school HS 🏀 programs tried starting up this week and already some positive tests.  
I’ve had the test done 3 times and sounds like it is done differently across the country and hence why some tests show positive and are really negative and vice versa. 

Credit to the team for giving it a third shot. Not easy.  Again we beat up PS and co.   Lets praise them today for a sweep at home.  Fair is fair.  

Fair is fair indeed. Props to the team and staff for the sweep. Hope it can be a springboard. I don’t see a consistent #2 scoring option, so I think we go as far as ZM can take us. Honestly, I see nothing to lose by PS turning the keys over to him and giving him cart blanche. I think he needs to avg 25ppg for us to have even a punchers chance in most games. That’s a tall order, but maybe he can do it 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

Fair is fair indeed. Props to the team and staff for the sweep. Hope it can be a springboard. I don’t see a consistent #2 scoring option, so I think we go as far as ZM can take us. Honestly, I see nothing to lose by PS turning the keys over to him and giving him cart blanche. I think he needs to avg 25ppg for us to have even a punchers chance in most games. That’s a tall order, but maybe he can do it 

There's not a consistent second option, but in the last two days, we found two post players who can at least give you 10-12ppg if you pound the ball inside and that's Solly and CT. Timberlake is struggling offensively, but let's also not forget that Gibson is getting his legs back. He hit two huge threes today in 28 minutes and had 10 points. Gibson, Solly, CT, Nick, Vic and Mims are capable of putting up points. Some may put up double-digits one night and the others may give you five. I'd love to have a healthy Holland as my second option, but that's not probably not going to happen this seas

I want to see more touches for Charles and Solly cause we need one or both of them to emerge as a second scorer this season and then we are in much better shape for next season if that makes sense.  

6 minutes ago, Bay Area Tiger said:

I want to see more touches for Charles and Solly cause we need one or both of them to emerge as a second scorer this season and then we are in much better shape for next season if that makes sense.  

I think if both average around 11-12ppg, we'll be fine. Neither is a 15-16ppg guy right now. Not until one of them can develop a mid-range jumper, though Solly can shoot it a little. Next season, with a real offseason, they should be a bit better overall. Of course, assuming Zane leaves, we'll need Holland and probably another transfer to be more of a volume scorer.

Give them credit for playing a better game than they did yesterday.  This one could have (should have) been 10+ but that foul shooting spurt, which was odd, hurt that. Thought we may yack that one up. 
 Better shooting today and defense. They allowed a lot less open threes and stopped (in Towson basketball terms) a few more drives to the hoop. Charles and Solomon were great today!  Glad we got Uncw when we did (a month off and with Phillips out)