• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

Charles Thompson and the defense

It's too early a sample size for positive thinking on this board, but I have to say that CT is becoming one of my favorite players over the last 10 years. His motor and work ethic cannot be matched. He's not even starting for whatever reason, but still played 35 minutes today and produced 17 points. He's averaging 9.9 points and 5.3 rebounds on 59.6% shooting and 63% from the line (17 of 27). He's worked on that part of the game and it shows, even if the form is not perfect. It's going in and that's huge because he doesn't mind the contact down low. Solomon has also improved his game, especially on the offensive end. He just has to continue getting better on the defensive end.

The fact that we were going to those guys most of the game, should give them confidence. I know Hofstra is a bigger team than UNCW, but not by much. Isaac Kante (6-7, 240) is the only big that plays a lot and we have three guys that can lean on him and four if you count Biekeu. I thought the defense in the second half was exceptional and most of UNCW's points came at the line where they went 21 of 23. Yes, they hit some tough threes at the end but only made 7 of 25 (28%) and shot 36% from the field. Did they not play in a month and does it show after two games? Excuses?

I'm not saying Charles Thompson is going to become the next Devontae Cacok, but he has a chance to be the second-best big man we've had since JB. He's long and fairly athletic. He doesn't mind mixing it up and has a pretty good array of post moves. He blocked two shots today, but I thought he blocked or altered at least five in the second half. I think the rebounds will come and he could easily be a double-double machine next season.

Dottin might be our best perimeter defender, but I think Allen and Mims are nearly as good. If they can eliminate the reaching fouls, they can really help. I thought there were several possessions in the second half where we just D'ed up and you could see the potential there. It's not consistent, but who is at this point?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mat1992 said:

It's too early a sample size for positive thinking on this board, but I have to say that CT is becoming one of my favorite players over the last 10 years. His motor and work ethic cannot be matched. He's not even starting for whatever reason, but still played 35 minutes today and produced 17 points. He's averaging 9.9 points and 5.3 rebounds on 59.6% shooting and 63% from the line (17 of 27). He's worked on that part of the game and it shows, even if the form is not perfect. It's going in and that's huge because he doesn't mind the contact down low. Solomon has also improved his game, especially on the offensive end. He just has to continue getting better on the defensive end.

The fact that we were going to those guys most of the game, should give them confidence. I know Hofstra is a bigger team than UNCW, but not by much. Isaac Kante (6-7, 240) is the only big that plays a lot and we have three guys that can lean on him and four if you count Biekeu. I thought the defense in the second half was exceptional and most of UNCW's points came at the line where they went 21 of 23. Yes, they hit some tough threes at the end but only made 7 of 25 (28%) and shot 36% from the field. Did they not play in a month and does it show after two games? Excuses?

I'm not saying Charles Thompson is going to become the next Devontae Cacok, but he has a chance to be the second-best big man we've had since JB. He's long and fairly athletic. He doesn't mind mixing it up and has a pretty good array of post moves. He blocked two shots today, but I thought he blocked or altered at least five in the second half. I think the rebounds will come and he could easily be a double-double machine next season.

Dottin might be our best perimeter defender, but I think Allen and Mims are nearly as good. If they can eliminate the reaching fouls, they can really help. I thought there were several possessions in the second half where we just D'ed up and you could see the potential there. It's not consistent, but who is at this point?

I agree. I really like Charles. He plays hard and knows where to be (hedging, inside position etc). For a team with little to no basketball IQ, that’s huge.

I Like when they attack the press..and with mims. It was unsuccessful a lot due to bad finishers, but it’s needed 

CT is also one of the best interviews on the team and maybe ever. Check out his interview and response in the other thread late in the video.

43 minutes ago, mat1992 said:

CT is also one of the best interviews on the team and maybe ever. Check out his interview and response in the other thread late in the video.

I'm impressed.  Smart guy.  CT really reps the university well.  

• Like 1