• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

MBB falls to Hofstra, 74-69 in Game 2 (story up)

Losing Fobbs is also hurting us on both ends. Offensively, he was similar to Zane as a powerful lefty, but more athletic and with a better 3-point shot. He shot 34.2% last season from 3pt. But his defense was vastly underrated. Was hoping that the combination of Zane and Holland would help, but no Holland and Zane left his 3-pointer in Towson three yeras ago.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, tu_fan said:

Disagree about gibson....He has to shoot 5 feet beyond the line - if we had more outside threats to spread the floor / or if he got the wide open looks that Nick gets, he'd shoot 40%  

This system and lack of offensive production holds him back.  

That might be the case on some. But there’s a lot where he just pulls up From way out there. 

2 minutes ago, mat1992 said:

Excuse crew. Nice. I'm not giving him an excuse. Maybe against JMU and he has struggled with a back injury. But he probably is more of a two he needs to play off the ball. 

Why do you always assume it’s you?  
So we are in year 10 and still looking for a point guard?   It’s the coach/philosophy not the players.  Way to large of a sample size. Zane had 7 assists today which, without looking, has to be the highest or second highest in a skerry coached game (no his 9-0 record against d3 doesn’t count). While Hofstra has a young pg who had 15 assists the last two days 

3 minutes ago, mat1992 said:

Losing Fobbs is also hurting us on both ends. Offensively, he was similar to Zane as a powerful lefty, but more athletic and with a better 3-point shot. He shot 34.2% last season from 3pt. But his defense was vastly underrated. Was hoping that the combination of Zane and Holland would help, but no Holland and Zane left his 3-pointer in Towson three yeras ago.

While that’s true, other teams lose players and don’t skip a beat or fall off the face of the earth. 

This wasn’t like losing Zane or Betrand or Delaware losing mutts and darling late. Pat knew Brian was graduating and that’s his job to have a replacement. Next man up. That’s what winning programs do

6 hours ago, TuTigers2012 said:

While that’s true, other teams lose players and don’t skip a beat or fall off the face of the earth. 

This wasn’t like losing Zane or Betrand or Delaware losing mutts and darling late. Pat knew Brian was graduating and that’s his job to have a replacement. Next man up. That’s what winning programs do

Of course, it's Pat's responsibility to replace him. I didn't say it was an excuse, but there is a reason we've gone from 32% three-point shooting defense to 38.7%. Some of it is the loss of Gray, who had his struggles offensively, but was a smart defender who could guard perimeter players. You lose Fobbs and Gray and replace them with Solly and Timberlake. You replace Betrand with Martin. I think Zane and Curtis Holland were adequate replacements on paper for Betrand and Fobbs. What I didn't realize is that Zane's defense is still shaky to be kind and Holland obviously hasn't played due to a foot injury. And the fact that Zane completely lost his three-point shot (though at least 2 of his shots today looked like they were going down and rolled out), doesn't help. He needs to play like point guard/slasher role and only shoot the three if it's a last resort. He's not James Harden or remotely close.

Personally, I love the zone pressure and I want to see more Darrick Jones and Mims. They are the future at the 3 and even 4. 

Hofstra puts out a lineup of Jalen Ray (6-2), Isaac Kante (6-7, 250), Caleb Burgess (6-3, 170? looks bigger), Tariq Coburn (6-5, 205). Kvonn Cramer (6-6, 205). Small lineup but those guys look a lot bigger than those listed weights and they play much bigger. Yet with Victor at center, we matched up against them with Mims, Timberlake, Gibson, Zane or throw in Dottin for Mims. You lose Thompson or Solly, but we need to match up with the smaller teams because we have the athletes in Jones, Mims and Timberlake. We just need those guys to play bigger and more physical. You don't need to be 6-7, 240 to play power forward anymore. You can be 6-5, 210 or 6-6, 205ish. Mims does need to add weight next season and hopefully, he will with a healthy off-season assuming his shoulder is fine. They need to help Victor or Charles on the boards. I can see us going with that more on Wednesday afternoon against JMU. Not saying we're going to match their tempo, but we don't need to slow it down all the time. Let the young guys run!

9 hours ago, mat1992 said:

Of course, it's Pat's responsibility to replace him. I didn't say it was an excuse, but there is a reason we've gone from 32% three-point shooting defense to 38.7%. Some of it is the loss of Gray, who had his struggles offensively, but was a smart defender who could guard perimeter players. You lose Fobbs and Gray and replace them with Solly and Timberlake. You replace Betrand with Martin. I think Zane and Curtis Holland were adequate replacements on paper for Betrand and Fobbs. What I didn't realize is that Zane's defense is still shaky to be kind and Holland obviously hasn't played due to a foot injury. And the fact that Zane completely lost his three-point shot (though at least 2 of his shots today looked like they were going down and rolled out), doesn't help. He needs to play like point guard/slasher role and only shoot the three if it's a last resort. He's not James Harden or remotely close.

Personally, I love the zone pressure and I want to see more Darrick Jones and Mims. They are the future at the 3 and even 4. 

Hofstra puts out a lineup of Jalen Ray (6-2), Isaac Kante (6-7, 250), Caleb Burgess (6-3, 170? looks bigger), Tariq Coburn (6-5, 205). Kvonn Cramer (6-6, 205). Small lineup but those guys look a lot bigger than those listed weights and they play much bigger. Yet with Victor at center, we matched up against them with Mims, Timberlake, Gibson, Zane or throw in Dottin for Mims. You lose Thompson or Solly, but we need to match up with the smaller teams because we have the athletes in Jones, Mims and Timberlake. We just need those guys to play bigger and more physical. You don't need to be 6-7, 240 to play power forward anymore. You can be 6-5, 210 or 6-6, 205ish. Mims does need to add weight next season and hopefully, he will with a healthy off-season assuming his shoulder is fine. They need to help Victor or Charles on the boards. I can see us going with that more on Wednesday afternoon against JMU. Not saying we're going to match their tempo, but we don't need to slow it down all the time. Let the young guys run!

I hope we continue to press more. Yes Zanes defense is a concern.  Brian was a better shooter and rebounder but Zane can pass better and get to the hoop better(needs to do that more)

tunstall an Gray were better at the 4 and getting out on shooters.  We are playing 2 bigs which doesn’t translate to college hoops anymore, especially at the MM level. If we keep doing that we need to punish the other teams by pounding it inside.

say what you all want about the pandemic. Practice time etc. almost everyone looks tentative (minus Charles’s) on offense, defense or both