• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
TSU88

JMU postmortem

32% overall shooting; 26% from 3. Not interested in hearing about covid + injuries. The unvarnished truth is this is a very bad team; can’t shoot & can’t play D. To paraphrase Mike Singletary, “can’t win with these guys.” Every offensive possession is a momentous struggle to get a clean look, usually punctuated by chucking up a brick with the shot clock running out.

We’ve almost come full circle ️ from Skerry’s 1st season. He’s plateaued and is now regressing. No tournament in a decade and hard to have any optimism about making it under his tenure, which has years left to go. 

Safe to say this season is a lost cause, but I’m having a hard time even dredging up a modicum of optimism for next season. Sure, Thompson’s game has improved and so has Solomon’s, and Gibson (who’s not a PG) can be a serviceable backup 2 guard, but as far as I’m concerned they’re all just a tick above role players, which is par for the course for Skerry recruits. No returning players on this roster who’s a difference maker and who here believes any of the 3 incoming freshmen next season are going to be impactful scorers?

Same as it ever was, same as it ever was 

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Bay Area Tiger said:

Charles Thompson deserves 10 shot attempts per game.  Need to build on him.  
Still has 2 more seasons with us. 

This team is awful. Led by incompetence at every level. 2-4 against rookie coaches which new players. What’s the excuse now?!  Same old same old

Charles is the only bright spot. Plays hard and has some skill.  His basketball IQ is higher than most on the team which isn’t saying much but still.

Year 10,(minus 11-12) 133-126 .511   81-67 CAA regular season .547   Has shown nothing on the court and  nothing for the future   Right now that joker is stealing money from Towson.  We are the only school dumb enough to keep big failures as head coaches of football and basketball. Add in the wind bag of an AD, and you have the laughing stock of the CAA.
How does every other school get it wrong and then fire their shitty coaches and get it right.

Getting lapped in both sports is laughable. time to move on.  Or move down in conference.

• Thanks 1

All valid points and I can’t argue.  I’m gonna hold off until the season is over commenting on the head coach.  Did in the past and I’m giving it a rest. 

I don’t see us going anywhere this season and although he may be able to win a few games for us I want less Zane shots and more CT, Gibby, NT & Solly shots.  
More minutes for the freshman than usual and less minutes for our grad transfer.  Sounds shitty but we gotta build something for 21-22’ if this same coach is back.  

The CAA could easily turn around and say it will be only a 4 team conference tournament.

It’s not gonna happen for us...  hope we get some wins but I’d rather see our Sophomores & Freshman get the bulk of the minutes.  

I am unable to watch our games as I refuse to play for Aunt Flo Sports so I get my feel for this team through these threads and much appreciated work that Mat does.  That being said something does have to change.  If you remove the players names from the comments from the posters and replace them with "Player X" and "Player Y", no one would have any idea if the thread was from yesterday's game, a game from last year,  two years ago etc.  From the one or two games I am able to watch a year to the threads I read this team has:

1) Tough to watch the brand of basketball is not fun viewing.  Standing around for 25 seconds and then "Player X" forces up a shot

2) No shooters

3) No one to handle and/distrbute the ball.  

4) Player X has not developed in his 3 or 4 years on campus

5) The list could go on and on but it will start to be as boring as one of our offensive possessions!

I am never like to see anyone anywhere lose their job, but in order for him to stay Skerry ball needs to adjust to present times.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Blazer49 said:

I am unable to watch our games as I refuse to play for Aunt Flo Sports so I get my feel for this team through these threads and much appreciated work that Mat does.  That being said something does have to change.  If you remove the players names from the comments from the posters and replace them with "Player X" and "Player Y", no one would have any idea if the thread was from yesterday's game, a game from last year,  two years ago etc.  From the one or two games I am able to watch a year to the threads I read this team has:

1) Tough to watch the brand of basketball is not fun viewing.  Standing around for 25 seconds and then "Player X" forces up a shot

2) No shooters

3) No one to handle and/distrbute the ball.  

4) Player X has not developed in his 3 or 4 years on campus

5) The list could go on and on but it will start to be as boring as one of our offensive possessions!

I am never like to see anyone anywhere lose their job, but in order for him to stay Skerry ball needs to adjust to present times.

Consider it a blessing in disguise that you are spared the dubious “benefits” of watching TU MBB games this season.

You are spot on about how comments from prior seasons about a dearth of good shooters/passers and players not developing could be recycled and applied to this years team. The players change over the years, but the common denominator is the coach, who isn’t going anywhere for what, another 6-8 years, at least. 

• Like 1

It’s tough to win when you aren’t an offensive or defensive team.  Year 10 and still no real identity besides offensive rebounding cause the offense is well downright offensive. 

338 out of 340 in 3 point %
336 out of 340 in assist per game. 
323 out of 340 In 3 point field goal defense