• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

JMU routs MBB in Game 2, 78-63

I don't like to harp too much on individuals in this blog. They've been through a lot this season in terms of COVID-19 with two pauses, and some have been also hampered by injuries. But at some point, you have to know what a good shot is. When to drive to beat your man and when to drive into traffic. That Matt Lewis shouldn't be left open on the perimeter. 

Yes, we had no Victor and Solly and not sure what their status is for W&M this weekend. No Juwan Gray and No Curtis Holland. But that leaves Timberlake, Gibson, Martin, Dottin, Cam Allen and Darrick Jones. We became guard-oriented because only have two real post players in CT and Bieku along with a 3/4 in Mims. The guards have to be better. They were atrocious today. JMU has improved but they aren't Northeastern or Hofstra. Though they appear to be when they play us.  

I don't usually turn off games, but I did at around the 7:00 mark. I did listen to the audio version because he had to follow the game. Sure, we were outrebounded by 3. That's going to happen when you play four guards the entire game. The turnovers were at 16 and around 11 at the half, when it was basically over. Did we guard the 3? For the most part, we did. JMU shot 9 of 25. But Towson shot 32% from the field. We got very few open shots, but the ones that we got, we have to bury.

*Timberlake:0-4 3pt, 2-9 FG, 5pts

*Mims: 0-6 FG

*Z.Martin: 1-9 FG, 0-2 3pt, 4 TO, 1 ass., 5 fouls

Those guys have to play better. The other guys like Darrick Jones and Cam Allen? I don't expect much. Jones has work to do on the defensive end and he flashed a bit. Allen. I just don't see it. I looked at his stats and video and thought he could be a solid backup. He could push the pace and defend some. But if have to rely on him to play 20 minutes the rest of the way, it's not going to be a good result. Gibby had a nice statistical game, but he got a lot of points when the game was basically out of reach. I think at this point with him, is you are damned if you do or damned if you don't In other words, he's really a combo guard or even a two. But with no Holland, he's your best pure shooter. You need Martin to really run the offense, but he has to score points as well. Have him more play more off the ball and you have to hope Zane can get him the ball. Same with Timberlake on the wing. He's got some looks and he just didn't make them. He is more of a downhill guy, where he can run the floor and jump, but doesn't have super quickness. So he can take the ball to the basket, but he can't really get to the hoops off a cross over or head fake. We just don't match up with their guards. They are quicker, stronger, more athletic, and just better.

Zane fouled out on what looked like a terrible call and then he picked up a tech, which was his fifth foul. Don't want to put it all on him, but if he doesn't get at least 20 points, we're not winning most games. He had four in 22 minutes and we got destroyed. I actually think he's done a decent job setting guys up. It's not his fault if guys are missing open shots, layups, mid-range shots. My issue is shot selection. JMU completely took away his left hand and he was forced to go right. It was ugly.

Just tired right now and can only hope we can get at least one W over the wekend.

Allen, ZM & Mims shot a combined 3-22. In this case, numbers don’t lie. Throw in Victor & the 4 transfers playing this season simply have not produced, with the exception of a couple of games by Martin.