• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
tu_fan

Towson by the Numbers

Let's take a look at where Towson stands statistically across a few key categories in D1.  It's shocking and pretty much a statistical anomaly to be historically bad across so many categories.  In 7 of these major categories we are in the bottom 10 teams of all of D1 (340 teams).  It cuts across assists, steals, turnovers, and shooting.  Based on this, you'd have to conclude, statistically, that we have the least effective offense in all of D1.  Knowing we were losing Fobbs, who did Skerry recruit to fill his scoring and passing?  Bieku, a seemingly offensively challenged bruiser and Darrick Jones, a highly recruited athlete, and while I am thrilled to have Jones, how did Skerry not address the needs of the team at guard, again?  We are getting two guards out of 3 scholarships next year.  Hopefully he hits on both.  Depressing details below:  

- 3 Point Shooting %:  26.11%  338 our of 340 teams.

- 3 Points made/game:  4.3:  336th

- Assists per game:  9.2:  336th

- Assist / Turnover Ratio:  .66:  330th

- Turnovers Forced:  10.4:  331st

- Turnover Margin:  -3.5:  316th

- Steals per Game:  4.3:  332nd

- 3 point FG Defense:  38.4%:  323rd

- Rebound Margin:  +3:  92nd

And based on these numbers, don't tell me we are not winning based on our defense, or more specifically our 3 point shooting defense.  We are not winning because we are the most inept offensive team in all of D1.  We can't shoot, pass, handle the ball, or create turnovers.  It's not our defense that is holding us back.  

1 minute ago, tu_fan said:

And based on these numbers, don't tell me we are not winning based on our defense, or more specifically our 3 point shooting defense.  We are not winning because we are the most inept offensive team in all of D1.  We can't shoot, pass, handle the ball, or create turnovers.  It's not our defense that is holding us back.  

Isn't creating turnovers part of defense? Same with three-point defense. Offense stinks. Didn't really need numbers to see that.  

2 minutes ago, tu_fan said:

Exactly. It’s hard to be that bad in all of those categories. It’s embarrassing.  The only teams worse are meac/swac teams. Maybe Leonard grows a pair and tells pat to fire his staff (all of them) in the offseason. Time for new blood 

3 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

Exactly. It’s hard to be that bad in all of those categories. It’s embarrassing.  The only teams worse are meac/swac teams. Maybe Leonard grows a pair and tells pat to fire his staff (all of them) in the offseason. Time for new blood 

Yes - some of the SWAC teams are worse in a particular category, but no team is as bad across the board as we are.  It's remarkable.  What's crazy is that after each game Skerry always glances at the stat sheet.  Is he and his staff aware of these numbers?  I agree, I wish we could clean house.  

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, tu_fan said:

Let's take a look at where Towson stands statistically across a few key categories in D1.  It's shocking and pretty much a statistical anomaly to be historically bad across so many categories.  In 7 of these major categories we are in the bottom 10 teams of all of D1 (340 teams).  It cuts across assists, steals, turnovers, and shooting.  Based on this, you'd have to conclude, statistically, that we have the least effective offense in all of D1.  Knowing we were losing Fobbs, who did Skerry recruit to fill his scoring and passing?  Bieku, a seemingly offensively challenged bruiser and Darrick Jones, a highly recruited athlete, and while I am thrilled to have Jones, how did Skerry not address the needs of the team at guard, again?  We are getting two guards out of 3 scholarships next year.  Hopefully he hits on both.  Depressing details below:  

- 3 Point Shooting %:  26.11%  338 our of 340 teams.

- 3 Points made/game:  4.3:  336th

- Assists per game:  9.2:  336th

- Assist / Turnover Ratio:  .66:  330th

- Turnovers Forced:  10.4:  331st

- Turnover Margin:  -3.5:  316th

- Steals per Game:  4.3:  332nd

- 3 point FG Defense:  38.4%:  323rd

- Rebound Margin:  +3:  92nd

Thanks for taking the time to do this research. What adjectives can I use? Depressing, sobering ...? 

These stats simply bear out what we all know-we have, by far, the most inept offense in the nation. It’s galling to me that there’s no accountability for this abysmal mess