• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

MBB falls again to W&M 75-74

http://stats.statbroadcast.com/statmonitr/?id=319838

Different situation. Same result. Had a double-digit first-half lead and led by seven 39-32 at intermission. This is a game where they did miss Victor defensively and Solly on the offensive end as the 3rd option. Towson led most of the game, but Jason Gibson's foul trouble (played just 23 minutes), their inability to slow down Conner Kochera (30pts) and Luke Loewe (20pts) along with poor shot selection down the stretch did them in.

But as poor as they played defensively in the second half (51% shooting by Tribe), they had several chances at the end. The Tigers had the ball with under 23 seconds left after a rare stop and Zane Martin once again drives right for a layup and bricks it with his left hand so hard that W&M had an outlet pass to Kuchera, who finished the game-winning layup on the other end with 14.3 seconds left in the game. The Tribe had just three team fouls for some reason and fouled twice to force the Tigers keep inbounding the ball. At that point, it was going to Martin again. He fumbled the ball on the drive, took a wild step-back from 20 and shot an airball. Game. Set. Six-game losing streak.

On the bright side, Charles Thompson was magnificent on the defensive end with 15 rebounds and at least seven blocks (should have been credited with two more in first half). He did miss two foul shots in the second half and Towson went 5-of-10 from the line. Take away Thompson's defense and the Tribe are getting close to 90 in this game or maybe over. The lack of getting to the line is a bit confusing considering that there was constant contact and drives to the basket. But when you are struggling to score and win games, refs won't be as willing to give you calls (right or wrong) Mims wasn't bad with 10 points and eight rebounds in 27 minutes. He has to be better on that short jumper or floater from the "red zone". But he needs to play.  Timberlake had 15 pts and Zane had 18 with 8 assists but shot just 7 of 20 and 3 of 10 from 3-point range. Backcourt really struggled defensively to contain Loewe and Kuchera who had their way getting to the basket whenever they wanted. Yuri Covington had 11 points and got most of them in the second half and was also getting to the cup.

Just missed the Zoom meeting and press conference. 

• Haha 1

I understand CT is limited offensively and he must work on more shots and post moves during the offseason.  My point is make the rest of this season his time to try things and get confidence. We aren’t going anywhere this season and I want him getting 10 shots a game and not just put back dunks based on his effort.   
Zane is gone after this season.  If we were winning then by all means let him chuck them up.  We aren’t.   
Charles could be a 20-10 type of player by his Senior year but that’s not gonna happen if he’s taking 6 shots a game.  

Sorry to harp on this so much but I’m looking at our hand of cards and he’s the one potential Ace with the most upside.  

Run more plays for him. 

4 minutes ago, Bay Area Tiger said:

I understand CT is limited offensively and he must work on more shots and post moves during the offseason.  My point is make the rest of this season his time to try things and get confidence. We aren’t going anywhere this season and I want him getting 10 shots a game and not just put back dunks based on his effort.   
Zane is gone after this season.  If we were winning then by all means let him chuck them up.  We aren’t.   
Charles could be a 20-10 type of player by his Senior year but that’s not gonna happen if he’s taking 6 shots a game.  

Sorry to harp on this so much but I’m looking at our hand of cards and he’s the one potential Ace with the most upside.  

Run more plays for him. 

You are right. We do need to get CT the ball more. The problem is that W&M knew that and doubled him every time he got close to the basket as he was backing in. He takes a little too long with his post moves. You can say that about all the big guys. They need to be quicker to avoid the double teams. Also need more pick and roll. Watching the NE game last night from last year (the road game where we won), our bigs where much more active offensively, especially Sanders. Would rather see Gibson and Thompson work together on screens than just Zane and CT. Bieku can set screens when he's in. When go with one big, it's tougher to post up because he's the main screener. Defensively, Tunstall was blocking shots the way CT did today. I think CT has more potential on offense, but he has to work on getting more skilled with a mid-range shot. I noticed Bieku actually can shoot it a little from mid-range. 

I think we played the right away offensively for most of the game until the end. At least right way for us. Then we started going ISO Zane and once the game got tight, so did we. We jacked up bad shots and well, you knew the result by watching, though I didn't expect that play at the end where Zane bricked the layup so badly that it turned into a layup for Kochera.

• Thanks 1

Some positives...

I feel like we are finally out of our 3pt shooting funk as a team..   5 for 14 today not stellar but a start. 

Biekeu is getting minutes+ with the shortened roster and that is huge for a Freshman big that may have sat on the bench a whole lot more in a normal season. 

Gibby & CT showing why they are nice building blocks.  

We only lose Zane & Cam & Gray for next season. Obviously we need so much more talent to come in.  We need a player to come in and be that defensive stopper of some sorts.  Easier said than done. 

Sucks we got swept but we have games and on to Charleston.   

38 minutes ago, Bay Area Tiger said:

Some positives...

I feel like we are finally out of our 3pt shooting funk as a team..   5 for 14 today not stellar but a start. 

Biekeu is getting minutes+ with the shortened roster and that is huge for a Freshman big that may have sat on the bench a whole lot more in a normal season. 

We only lose Zane & Cam & Gray for next season. Obviously we need so much more talent to come in.  We need a player to come in and be that defensive stopper of some sorts.  Easier said than done. 

I think we'll lose more than that. We've only added three freshmen and that's not enough. We are absolutely desperate for a 6-5ish wing who can score like Fobbs and hit the 3. The two point guards coming in appear to be on the short side of 6-feet with some quickness and defensive ability. It will allow Gibby to move over to the 2 if one or both can step up and step in. But we need at least two more competent transfers. We obviously struck out on a few of them this season and it's hurting us. Even Zane to a point, though I think by the time he wanted to come back, there were several issues concerning Gueye coming here and whether Holland was going to be healthy. There weren't a lot of guys available late in the summer that was any decent so he was back. Was it the right move at the time? Sure. Right move now? I don't know. Probably not, but if Allen was really good, then it wouldn't have mattered. He obviously wasn't. 

That's just the way things go nowadays with us and other programs. Especially us. But if you finish third last season and this season is a disaster on many fronts, they need to bounce back assuming COVID is gone or much less of a factor next season. We'll have a legitimate (hopefully) offseason to work with the big guys and some of the new kids coming in. We desperately need new concepts on offense and yes, we shot ok from 3 point today. Maybe some poor shot selection, but there's no reason why we can't shoo at least 20 threes a game. Unfortunately, other than Gibby and assuming Timberlake is back, not sure who else can make them on next year's squad.

So, ZM, Allen & Gray are in their last seasons. There are 3 incoming freshmen committed for next fall.  None of these incoming freshmen project as impactful scorers (2 of them are PG’s, meaning at least 1 of them won’t be starting. The other is a lightly recruited 6’7 kid). It’s probably safe to assume PS will try to bring in at least one potential scorer, either as a transfer (assuming the rule that transfers have to sit out a year goes by the wayside) and/or the JUCO route. That means at least 1 player, if not more, on the current squad will have to depart. Will Victor graduate & move on? Maybe Dottin? Will Jones come back, after seeing minimal minutes this season? If Victor leaves, does his brother leave with him? 

48 minutes ago, Bay Area Tiger said:

Some positives...

5-14 9-27 is better than what they were shooting. 
As much as I agree that Charles should get more looks... 20-10 is very very wishful thinking. I’d take 12-10

There will be a lot more than those 3 You named leaving... will start again with 5-8 new faces next year.  Rinse, wash, repeat. 

2 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

5-14 9-27 is better than what they were shooting. 
As much as I agree that Charles should get more looks... 20-10 is very very wishful thinking. I’d take 12-10

There will be a lot more than those 3 You named leaving... will start again with 5-8 new faces next year.  Rinse, wash, repeat. 

Tend to agree that there will be at least 5 new faces next season. And while I admire Bay Area Tiger’s optimism, I also agree that CT is not a 20/10 guy (few are, for that matter). I would also be satisfied if he were a 12/10 guy.