• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
TSU88

Cardiac Kids win 80-78 in OT

EK and Morman just drive me nuts. I can't blame EK for that block but two seconds later, Starr lost the ball and then fouled Cameron. I just saw that play on SportsCenter Top 10 (it was 6).

Morman was listed for 2 turnovers but he had two walking violations and one turnover where he nearly hit Skerry in the head.

But Zane and Tunstall saved us. Zane had four points in the first half and 21 in the second and overtime. That shot to tie the game was about 3 feet behind the line. Straight up clutch. But as far as attacking the 2-3 zone, I saw BStarr dribble the ball around for about 20-25 seconds every possession down the stretch. I thought the offense moved a lot better when Morsell played the 4 when EK fouled out. That's limits your rebounding but it's something to think about. Morsell and Zane can break that zone. You have leave Morman open but Starr has become solid from 3. I thought Starr may have gotten tired from trying to break the soft press all game. He played 38 minutes and we needed him to.

A lot of questions still with this team but they keep finding ways to win. Would love to see them get 10 straight against UMBC and then take the long break until Oakland on Dec. 20. We could certainly use the time off.

1 hour ago, TSU88 said:

Don’t even know where to start. Thrilled with the win; atmosphere was raucous inside SECU tonight-great atmosphere-Morgan had a lot of fans there though. Why they were so quiet in 1st half is a mystery, but the joint was jumping when we blew the 16 point lead in 2nd half.

Other observations: ZM channeled his inner Vinnie Johnson in the 2nd half. He microwaved from like 4 points at the half to finish with 25. Clutch foul shooting by Morsell in OT. Highlight reel block in regulation by I think Gorham & another in OT by I think Tunstall. We’re a better team IMHO with Tunstall on the floor than Thomas. 

Good news-this is the type of game we would have lost in the past. Bad news-this is the 2nd straight game we’ve won by the skin of our teeth where the best player on the opposing team didn’t play. Eventually we’re going to play teams who’s lineups are intact. I’m not sure this formula can be sustained long term against better teams. 

Team has to be emotionally & physically drained with all the travel & nail biter games. Will be interesting to see how they play Saturday vs UMBC

Forgot about Morsell. Even though he didn't shoot well, he shows the confidence to make those FTs. Rebounding is a concern. When Thomas plays 13 minutes and that's really what he deserved because they went small, our rebounding suffers some. Take away EK and Thomas and we don't have those wide bodies to keep opponents off the boards. Thought Gorham rebounded well but needed help.

1 hour ago, TigerNation said:

Amazing atmosphere tonight, if the fans sat the whole bottom bowl would have been filled. That comeback was brutal but it happened with some bad calls and shots. It was a quiet comeback but we pulled it out. My friends really enjoyed the game and want to comeback, I also heard students talking about how good the game was. 

Go tigers!!!

Love the atmosphere, even though Morgan fans were the ones who got things stirred up during the comeback. Our fans were just kind of sitting there because the game was getting out of hand. But they went nuts during the Zane 3 and EK block. There were 2,400 fans there. Now double that or add 1,000 more. The sound would be nuts.

11 hours ago, TSU88 said:

I’m glad you mentioned the people who steadfastly refuse to sit in the bowl. It may sound like I’m a curmudgeon, but that is a huge pet peeve of mine. Come down & sit in the bowl, damnit!! The place would look so more full. Sun paper article said attendance was 2,200 or 2,400 (sorry, don’t recall which). Either way, it seemed like a lot more people there than that. Saturday should be as good, if not better (I hope).

I remember being at a couple games last year, even bringing my younger brothers once and they dont let students sit within the bowl unless its behind a basket.. EVEN if seats are empty. Its the stupidest thing. I have an easier time getting down at Wizards games. 

5 minutes ago, sr16 said:

I remember being at a couple games last year, even bringing my younger brothers once and they dont let students sit within the bowl unless its behind a basket.. EVEN if seats are empty. Its the stupidest thing. I have an easier time getting down at Wizards games. 

College Park does it right with the student section wrapping all the way around the court. 

These guys need a break.  Hopefully they can take care of UMBC and go into finals on a very high note.  I really wish we'd put a shooter at the free throw line against a zone.  Morsell or Zane could live there and when teams finally crashed on them, it would open up so many other opportunities.  By putting Keith there, it invites turnovers and charges because Eddie gets out of control so much.  That said, we did have some decent looks and just didn't knock them down.  Morsell has to watch that when he drives from the short corner that he makes a quicker decision so he's not throwing it up for grabs once he gets trapped.  But all in all, great effort to weather the storm and not do what many other Towson teams have done when they've given up a big lead like that.

Does anybody know what Tunstall's injury is? Will it resolve during the two long breaks coming up or will it be a season-long thing? I hope the former, because we're a better team with him logging more than 10 minutes.