• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

MBB upsets Northeastern 68-57 to break an 8-game losing streak

Went to the game and did the Zoom Conference. I'll add some quotes. So for those who didn't see it, no Zane Martin and no Cam Allen (personal). PS explained that Allen had a family emergency, but ZM appears to be on the way out. I'll get that quote eventually. Gibby gets hurt in the first five minutes after he drove to the basket and got slammed hard on his back. He already had a back injury, so not good. Jakigh Dottin came in and was very good on both ends. Even hit a big 3 late. Timberlake had a nice game with 20 points, but it's all about the defense. Towson held NE to 36% for the game. Walker who couldn't miss yesterday, was held to 6-of-16 shooting and 1-of-6 from 3pt for 16 points. They hedged on him all day.

Maybe for the best then..  he does us no good for next season and all about taking this core into 21-22’.   We had 19 front court points today!!!  Dottin was great and despite his flaws I truly think he always plays hard and he had a confidence issue early on and now he’s playing his best.  
Now if we could shoot 50% from 3 and hold our opponents to 25% from 3 more often wins will come.  Easier said than done. 
We as a program needed this win today.   

Again huge credit to coaches and team for bouncing back.   

Credit given where, in this case, it’s due. Good W vs a quality opponent, especially given ZM not playing & Gibson missing most of the game. 

It would appear, based on Mat’s earlier post in this thread, that the ZM era at Towson has come to an end. I’m somewhat melancholy about this. Had he stayed after his sophomore year, who knows, he might have finished as the all-time leading scorer in TU history. As it is, if he’s not back for the remainder of this season, it really doesn’t make much difference. Let’s face it, we lost most of the games he played in this season anyway. 

What puzzles me is the non-appearance thus far this season of Curtis Holland. Assuming ZM has ridden off into the sunset, now would be a perfect opportunity to see what Holland brings to the table. OTOH, if he sits out the entire season, after getting injured almost a year and a half ago, when he was with High Point, one has to wonder if he’ll ever play at TU, and if he & TU should just part ways. 

I also wonder if Victor U will be back next season. To say he was underwhelming this season, after having a sit-out year (where ostensibly he would have honed his game) would be an understatement. If he departs, does his brother stay or go? And what about Dottin & Jones? And what about the curious case of Nick Timberlake? He’s been here since the 2018-19 season, but, because of a redshirt his 1st year, and the “free” year of eligibility this season (due to covid) he would only be a sophomore if he comes back next year, despite it being his 4th year with the team. Talk about a career student.      

Let’s face it, after the debacle this season has been, I wouldn’t be surprised if there’s a wholesale housecleaning in terms of the roster

PS opening comment

"...went back to playing defense and rebounding. That was our identity. Hopefully we can get that back."

"Walker is my vote for Player of the Year right now. Yesterday, he made a lot of shots. Pat O'Connell made a late staff zoom last night and we talked about trapping some ball screens. That was a great suggestion by him. Yesterday, we tried zone pressing him. He's a very good player. Our stances. Our high hands. Our competitive spirit. The way our teams normally are. Hopefuly we can get back to that."

On Timberlake
"He was tremendous. We defended, rebounded and we rode Nick. His points per shots was outstanding. Nick is one of my favorite guys I've ever had the opportunity to coach. He's talented and competitive. He's worked harder than ever all week. He's fighting an injury that's going to require surgery all season. He's a guy I believe in. He's a guy you can with."

On why Zane and Cam were out of the lineup

"We're thinking of Cam today. Right after the game yesterday, he had a family emergency. We had to get him back home. Hopefully, we'll get him back in a couple of days. That was my decision with Zane. Right now, we need the right ingredients in sauce. We've been struggling. We're going to play younger guys. I like how united our group was defensively and on the boards today."

"We've been only playing conference play for about a month now. It seems about six years the way this season has gone. We've had some tough frustrating losses, which means I haven't done a good job in some of those games. One of the things we talked about last week was about having energy, great body language and really buy into what we need to do to get where we want to get. This is a funky year. My responsibility to the program is to make sure we have guys absolutely committed to try and win games. Today, we were committed to doing that."

On resiliency

"Jakigh Dottin sticks out to me. I love Jakigh. We had a long talk last week and he really responded with his back week of practice he's ever had here. His energy was contagious. He did a great job of taking care of the basketball and playing defense. Guarding the best guy in the league. We have some young guys I'm really happy with. This is an all underclassmen team."

You lost some games and guys get frustrated. You have to handle the frustration. That's what I like about how we responded this past week. He's a high class guy and handled it well today."

33 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

Credit given where, in this case, it’s due. Good W vs a quality opponent, especially given ZM not playing & Gibson missing most of the game. 

It would appear, based on Mat’s earlier post in this thread, that the ZM era at Towson has come to an end. I’m somewhat melancholy about this. Had he stayed after his sophomore year, who knows, he might have finished as the all-time leading scorer in TU history. As it is, if he’s not back for the remainder of this season, it really doesn’t make much difference. Let’s face it, we lost most of the games he played in this season anyway. 

What puzzles me is the non-appearance thus far this season of Curtis Holland. Assuming ZM has ridden off into the sunset, now would be a perfect opportunity to see what Holland brings to the table. OTOH, if he sits out the entire season, after getting injured almost a year and a half ago, when he was with High Point, one has to wonder if he’ll ever play at TU, and if he & TU should just part ways. 

I also wonder if Victor U will be back next season. To say he was underwhelming this season, after having a sit-out year (where ostensibly he would have honed his game) would be an understatement. If he departs, does his brother stay or go? And what about Dottin & Jones? And what about the curious case of Nick Timberlake? He’s been here since the 2018-19 season, but, because of a redshirt his 1st year, and the “free” year of eligibility this season (due to covid) he would only be a sophomore if he comes back next year, despite it being his 4th year with the team. Talk about a career student.      

Let’s face it, after the debacle this season has been, I wouldn’t be surprised if there’s a wholesale housecleaning in terms of the roster

I think that's what the rest of the year is to figure out. Who stays. Who do you try and build the team around? Hopefully, Gibson returns but I'm not sure what to think about him. I know he was dinged up this year with a back injury and I appreciate the fortitude he has to continue and get to the basket when he doesn't have an open shot. But 170 pounds, I'd prefer hed be a little more judicious in driving and dishing more. I've said that since last season and on that injury, I thought he had a 3-on-2 (might have been 3-on-1) and took it to a much bigger guy to try and draw contact. The shame about it was that he had just hit two threes and was going to the line to reach nine points.

But yeah, other than CT, not sure about the rest. Mims shouldn't be going anywhere. He needs to use the entire summer to go to the weight room and work on that shot. His ability to defend and not foul today was one of the reasons we won. 

So you have CT, Mims, maybe Solly (they now call him Solo) who are apart of that nucleus of returners. Solomon and Nick could both be double-redshirt sophomores again if they return. Again, Nick will have that opportunity to lead the team in scoring with no Zane and possibly Gibby out. When he cuts to the basket without the ball and gets some calls going to the basket, he can be productive. The shot? He's inconsistent. I don't expect 40% or higher, but we could use 35% from beyond the arc and needs to hit 45% of the rest of his shots.

You can say the same thing about Jakigh. He's vocal which we need. He's improved his three-point shot and free throw shooting. Athletically, he's limited in terms of quickness. He just has to play within himself. Don't turn the ball over if he gets in foul trouble, we're in trouble if he's the only point guard on the roster, though I assume Allen will return this week. Jury is out on Darrick Jones and Chris Biekeu. At least Chris has gotten some time, though he's not going to get a lot with the brothers back. Jones not really sure of. I think Victor looked for him backdoor and couldn't connect on the pass. They need to take advantage of that athletic ability when he's in there. At some point, Holland needs to play. If he can't or won't, I don't think he returns.

But all I know is that we had our best defensive game of the season without #2 being out there.