• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
TuTigers2012

Back on Pause

Ok, I’m going to come out & ask the question trembling on my lips ... what are these kids doing that such a small group (12 or so kids) are constantly putting themselves in harms way, as far as COVID exposure? To simply say, “well, there kids, what do you expect” isn’t a sufficient answer IMHO.  

Just now, TSU88 said:

Ok, I’m going to come out & ask the question trembling on my lips ... what are these kids doing that such a small group (12 or so kids) are constantly putting themselves in harms way, as far as COVID exposure? To simply say, “well, there kids, what do you expect” isn’t a sufficient answer IMHO.  

Agree. This is 3 times in 2 months. Yes health is more important than the games, but 3 of these?!  To me it shows that they don’t really care. Maybe they should have offered to go the football route?

We tried. A lot of programs tried to play this season. The CAA has gotten hit hard as probably any conference outside the MAAC or AEast where Maine has opted out. On the docket this weekend is Elon at W&M. That's it in the CAA. NE at UNC on Wed. W&M at Elon on Thursday. Was it worth it? Despite the results and all the pauses, you'd have to ask the players. They wanted to play and still do apparently.

I can't speak to discipline or lack of management off the court when it comes to making sure no one in the program gets a positive COVID test, so I won't go there. I will say that to this point, we have somehow tied for playing the third-most games overall and have played the second-most conference games (that will probably change after this pause) in the CAA. We have only played four less games than Maryland (same total as UMBC, 2 less than Coppin State, same as Morgan State and two more than Mt. St. Mary's, I won't bring up Loyola because the Patriot League has been extra careful), who has a heckuva a lot more resources at their disposal to get through this than we do. 

My point being is it when it comes to testing players and coaches are in a really tough spot, and it is way too simplistic to blame this solely on them when this is going on all over the country (especially at the mid-major level where there are less resources). If you want to bash something, go back to bashing the on-court product, because the coaches and players have a lot more control over that and we can at least criticize what we can see in front of us rather than wildly speculating on stuff we don't know. 

I wonder what they will do with the conference tournament. At this point, Charleston, Northeastern, JMU and Hofstra are probably the only teams that deserve to play for a bid. As much as I want to see Towson play more games, I really could not argue with a limited conference tournament from a planning and safety standpoint. 

I hope they get to play again. I am fine with everyone who is critical of the coaching and wants a change (I can't disagree), but I will say Sunday was the first time this group actually played to the usual strengths of a Pat Skerry team. Prior to that, we were showing all the bad characteristics his teams had shown in his time here and none of the good ones (good defensive rebounding, toughness and athleticism). I would like to see if they can build off that in any way. 

• Like 3