• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
TuTigers2012

1491 Days

I am on board.  It was a brutal season, but Skerry is seemingly allergic to recruiting scorers, and even if we did have full practices, it wouldn't have changed the outcome.   This was possibly the most inept offensive team we've ever had, and that's a strong statement coming from any Towson fan.  

I don't think this offense would do well as a D2 offense either......

• Like 1

The question I have for the numbskulls who made this decision (cough, Tim Leonard, cough) is what is the cost in dollars to have a moribund basketball program, no hope, no alumni engagement, just a worthless activity run by a failed regime. Whatever money is guaranteed to this guy is already wasted - there is no chance of success. If that is the only cost, then go ahead, let him run this program further into the ditch for 5 more years.

But if it is worth anything to the institution to have a basketball team that brings alums together, provides a positive social activity for people based on their connection to the school then its high time to stop throwing away seasons and make a change. I'd love to care about Towson basketball again, but as long as the school doesn't care there is no point in anyone else investing their time or interest either. It won't happen, of course, because the Fordham playbook that dictates decisions these days says athletics are unimportant, a waste of resources, and simply an expense that must be managed to lowest possible number. It not whether you win or lose, but how much you paid to play the games.

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, Royal Tiger said:

The question I have for the numbskulls who made this decision (cough, Tim Leonard, cough) is what is the cost in dollars to have a moribund basketball program, no hope, no alumni engagement, just a worthless activity run by a failed regime. Whatever money is guaranteed to this guy is already wasted - there is no chance of success. If that is the only cost, then go ahead, let him run this program further into the ditch for 5 more years.

But if it is worth anything to the institution to have a basketball team that brings alums together, provides a positive social activity for people based on their connection to the school then its high time to stop throwing away seasons and make a change. I'd love to care about Towson basketball again, but as long as the school doesn't care there is no point in anyone else investing their time or interest either. It won't happen, of course, because the Fordham playbook that dictates decisions these days says athletics are unimportant, a waste of resources, and simply an expense that must be managed to lowest possible number. It not whether you win or lose, but how much you paid to play the games.

Agreed.   This is a hell of a post. 
We are already in that ditch. Since pats been hired, he is one of 5 coaches to not win a regular season title or make the ncaa, and Still be at that school.  That’s it. All others have moved on or been fired.  
For context Elon’s coach (in his second year) has 3 caat wins.  3!

As a former manager under pk (3 years and skerry for 1), season ticket holder since the 2012 season, I can’t put up with this crap level of play anymore. Donations and tickets from Others and myself and others are stopping. It’s honestly embarrassing at this point. 

10 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

Royal Tiger with the post of the year

Yea!

Where I stand...

I'll start by saying that despite the mess this season was and the no-show today in Harrisonburg, I don't feel like anyone should lose their job after the circumstances of this season.  The fact we actually finished the season after three (!!) pauses is a credit to the players and the staff for keeping it together.  But that's pretty much where my 'praise' ends.

Let's start with Skerry.  He's a great guy, very personable, changed the culture with Towson basketball especially academically, and I think he could be an asset as an assistant for a program.  But let's face it, this program is bottoming out.  The peak ended when we lost to W&M in the semis with Benimon and the second smaller peak was after we won in Belfast to start that season 11-1.  Since then, we're 40-62 with 4 straight one-and-dones in the CAA Tournament.  That's not continuing to build a program.  That's having it infested with termites and mold and watching it fall apart.  The reason for this is simple -- recruiting and scheme.  Skerry has one way to play and that's defense and rebounding.  Unless you're Michigan State or Virginia or Texas Tech (among others), you're not gonna get away with that philosophy with too much success for too long.  The modern game has changed too much and we have failed to adapt.  As a result, we have NOBODY who can reliably create their own shot and when we do have drive-and-kick situations, it leads to various clanks and clangs from the 3-point line.  While Gibson and Timberlake are serviceable players, they are wildly inconsistent from a scoring standpoint.  Would they start elsewhere?  Highly doubtful.  That's not to slight them.  But to even an untrained basketball eye, they are not the players you build your team around.  Let's look at the transfers that we've brought in -- Holland was a waste for this year and maybe altogether if he doesn't stick around.  Allen was very meh.  Victor didn't show all that much promise either.  We sit in a very fertile HS basketball area between Maryland, DC, Northern Virginia, Philly, and Central Pennsylvania.  Surely, we can get into the living rooms of players who are stars on their high school teams rather than taking players who are on nobody's D1 radar.  We're a school that the expectation should be come March, they should be one of the three favorites to win the conference tournament EVERY YEAR.  With the exception of maybe 2 of those Marchs, we haven't been able to say that.  Hell, we're just hoping to stay out of the play-in game.  More importantly, let's look at the transfers under Skerry.  We've lost Four (grad transfer), Zane (should have never taken him back this year, which I said when it first happened), Gorham, and Betrand.  I know there are others but these are the main ones I want to focus on.  When you lose players like these, guys who were starters and key contributors, there has to be an underlying reason besides 'I want to play in a bigger conference'.  And you look at what happened with Betrand last year with him torching Drexel in Philly and then going completely AWOL on the court the rest of the way, how does that occur?  I suspect it all comes back to the leader of the program and the schemes involved.  So, it's time for Skerry to be put on notice and if there isn't a significant improvement in 21-22, it's time to eat that buyout and find someone a little bit more dynamic who can inject some life into the program and whatever is left of the fanbase.

I'm not gonna stop there.  @Royal Tiger brings up a terrific point about the administration.  Certainly, I don't even pretend to know the goings-on in the department but if a coaching change is made, I don't really think I want Tim Leonard making that hire.  He has gotten women's basketball, women's lacrosse, and volleyball right and extending Nadelen on the men's lax side was the right move.  But if you truly want to bolster this athletic department, you have to hit a home run with a hire in your two big-revenue sports.  When fans return to games (hopefully next school year), what is going to give anyone any incentive to come to SECU?  The athletic department has largely failed at getting people into the seats and it's truly pathetic that a state school with the enrollment that Towson has can't regularly get 60% capacity in a 6,000-seat arena.  And before we start with the 'oh there's other stuff to do blah blah blah', go talk to some friends at Grand Canyon and ask them how they do it.  I know I've harped about GCU before but their results both on the court and in the stands support my argument.  If you can improve the product on the court, you will improve the attendance in the stands and the excitement within the program.  But as Royal asked, do they even care?  If they don't, then we might as well be Kennesaw State or Delaware State or Mississippi Valley State -- teams that put warm bodies in uniforms with the school name on it and trot them out to get slaughtered on a nightly basis.

The title of this thread is 1,491 days.  What it should be is 10,950 days....the length of time since we were in the NCAA Tournament.  That's a little more than a week short of *30 YEARS*.  I've tried to be patient and see the bright side of things because I know how tough it is in a one-bid league, especially with the amount of luck involved in the conference tournaments (look at what happened to both Vermont and UMBC today).  But I'm sick and tired of getting to March and having virtually nothing more than a mathematical chance to win the conference and get our name called on Selection Sunday.  It's time that this school shares my frustration and gets serious about its basketball program and makes significant improvements.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Chris Datres said:

Where I stand...

I'll start by saying that despite the mess this season was and the no-show today in Harrisonburg, I don't feel like anyone should lose their job after the circumstances of this season.  The fact we actually finished the season after three (!!) pauses is a credit to the players and the staff for keeping it together.  But that's pretty much where my 'praise' ends.

Let's start with Skerry.  He's a great guy, very personable, changed the culture with Towson basketball especially academically, and I think he could be an asset as an assistant for a program.  But let's face it, this program is bottoming out.  The peak ended when we lost to W&M in the semis with Benimon and the second smaller peak was after we won in Belfast to start that season 11-1.  Since then, we're 40-62 with 4 straight one-and-dones in the CAA Tournament.  That's not continuing to build a program.  That's having it infested with termites and mold and watching it fall apart.  The reason for this is simple -- recruiting and scheme.  Skerry has one way to play and that's defense and rebounding.  Unless you're Michigan State or Virginia or Texas Tech (among others), you're not gonna get away with that philosophy with too much success for too long.  The modern game has changed too much and we have failed to adapt.  As a result, we have NOBODY who can reliably create their own shot and when we do have drive-and-kick situations, it leads to various clanks and clangs from the 3-point line.  While Gibson and Timberlake are serviceable players, they are wildly inconsistent from a scoring standpoint.  Would they start elsewhere?  Highly doubtful.  That's not to slight them.  But to even an untrained basketball eye, they are not the players you build your team around.  Let's look at the transfers that we've brought in -- Holland was a waste for this year and maybe altogether if he doesn't stick around.  Allen was very meh.  Victor didn't show all that much promise either.  We sit in a very fertile HS basketball area between Maryland, DC, Northern Virginia, Philly, and Central Pennsylvania.  Surely, we can get into the living rooms of players who are stars on their high school teams rather than taking players who are on nobody's D1 radar.  We're a school that the expectation should be come March, they should be one of the three favorites to win the conference tournament EVERY YEAR.  With the exception of maybe 2 of those Marchs, we haven't been able to say that.  Hell, we're just hoping to stay out of the play-in game.  More importantly, let's look at the transfers under Skerry.  We've lost Four (grad transfer), Zane (should have never taken him back this year, which I said when it first happened), Gorham, and Betrand.  I know there are others but these are the main ones I want to focus on.  When you lose players like these, guys who were starters and key contributors, there has to be an underlying reason besides 'I want to play in a bigger conference'.  And you look at what happened with Betrand last year with him torching Drexel in Philly and then going completely AWOL on the court the rest of the way, how does that occur?  I suspect it all comes back to the leader of the program and the schemes involved.  So, it's time for Skerry to be put on notice and if there isn't a significant improvement in 21-22, it's time to eat that buyout and find someone a little bit more dynamic who can inject some life into the program and whatever is left of the fanbase.

I'm not gonna stop there.  @Royal Tiger brings up a terrific point about the administration.  Certainly, I don't even pretend to know the goings-on in the department but if a coaching change is made, I don't really think I want Tim Leonard making that hire.  He has gotten women's basketball, women's lacrosse, and volleyball right and extending Nadelen on the men's lax side was the right move.  But if you truly want to bolster this athletic department, you have to hit a home run with a hire in your two big-revenue sports.  When fans return to games (hopefully next school year), what is going to give anyone any incentive to come to SECU?  The athletic department has largely failed at getting people into the seats and it's truly pathetic that a state school with the enrollment that Towson has can't regularly get 60% capacity in a 6,000-seat arena.  And before we start with the 'oh there's other stuff to do blah blah blah', go talk to some friends at Grand Canyon and ask them how they do it.  I know I've harped about GCU before but their results both on the court and in the stands support my argument.  If you can improve the product on the court, you will improve the attendance in the stands and the excitement within the program.  But as Royal asked, do they even care?  If they don't, then we might as well be Kennesaw State or Delaware State or Mississippi Valley State -- teams that put warm bodies in uniforms with the school name on it and trot them out to get slaughtered on a nightly basis.

The title of this thread is 1,491 days.  What it should be is 10,950 days....the length of time since we were in the NCAA Tournament.  That's a little more than a week short of *30 YEARS*.  I've tried to be patient and see the bright side of things because I know how tough it is in a one-bid league, especially with the amount of luck involved in the conference tournaments (look at what happened to both Vermont and UMBC today).  But I'm sick and tired of getting to March and having virtually nothing more than a mathematical chance to win the conference and get our name called on Selection Sunday.  It's time that this school shares my frustration and gets serious about its basketball program and makes significant improvements.

Co-post of the year, with Royal Tiger’s earlier post 

19 minutes ago, Chris Datres said:

Where I stand...

Sure. But pats history prior to this year is enough for his canning.  He is at best a very below average  coach. 

agree with 88, quality and thought out post. We put out an embarrassing product on the men’s side for far to long. 
Pat is a nice guy and has a great cause. He’s had more advantages for him at Towson than every other coach and  just to have shitty results 

16 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

Sure. But pats history prior to this year is enough for his canning.  He is at best a very below average  coach. 

agree with 88, quality and thought out post. We put out an embarrassing product on the men’s side for far to long. 
Pat is a nice guy and has a great cause. He’s had more advantages for him at Towson than every other coach and  just to have shitty results 

My screen name here TSU88, was meant to reflect the year I started college, not the age I’ll be when we finally get back to the Dance