• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
TuTigers2012

1491 Days

Agreed with just about everything that has been written on this thread.

I completely agree on the point with the pathetic showings in the tournament, but that is not just Skerry (even though his winning pct. relative to seeding is the worst). I started as a freshman in 1993 and we have never made a conference tournament final in that stretch, and have only gone to five conference tournament semifinals in that timeframe (Truax - Big South semi against Liberty, 1993-94; Truax - NAC (America East) semi vs Drexel, 1996-97; Kennedy - CAA semis vs. George Mason, 2008-09; Skerry - CAA semis vs. William & Mary, 2013-14; and Skerry CAA semis vs. College of Charleston, 2016-17). 

We are 0-5 in conference semi games since 1992 when we won the ECC and didn't get an auto bid (another bad stroke of luck). We have lost those games by 5, 10, 8, 12 and 8 so it is not like they have come down to last possession (even though Liberty and Charleston were very close, and I thought I remembered us playing well against Mason in a losing effort). As much as we all rip Kennedy (and I do it more than most), he is the only coach since 1992 to win two conference tournament games in the same year. 

With all that being said about crappy tournament performances, I still care a lot more about our next coach putting us in position to be a top-three team in this watered down conference on a consistent basis and figuring things out from there. Skerry has done this at times, including last year. However, as much as I was an apologist for him last year, the predictability in style, failure in the conference tournament, transfer of too many players and being really crappy 2 of the last 3 season (I know COVID gives him somewhat of a pass, but the program has been heading this away since all of the transfer going the 2018-19) is too much to argue against. 

I think it has also been brought up that this AD is not the right person to make this hire. I completely agree with this. This has to start from the top down. I agree with whoever said we hate talking about people get fired and losing their jobs, and that was part of why I felt it was unfair to talk about Skerry like this last year when we went 12-6 in conference play. However, I like the rest of you am sick of no hope as a Towson fan. If this group (who I know are all great fans) feels like this, the amount of apathy outside of here is going to only make things worse in a tough financial program. Something needs to be done to get this on track, but obviously we are stuck in a situation where there are not many options. 

Mat, thanks for writing the player profiles piece, because that is really all we can focus on until we figure out some other things. It is depressing, but the players are really all we can change at this point and we can keep hoping someone impactful walks through the door and makes the situation better. That is the only way right now.  

• Like 1

Crazy. Just reminiscing about the Benimon Era and to think with that talent we couldn't go further than we did. Truly disappointing..

7 minutes ago, tualum said:

Crazy. Just reminiscing about the Benimon Era and to think with that talent we couldn't go further than we did. Truly disappointing..

Yeah, that one year we had him when we were eligible was disappointing.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, tu_fan said:

UNCW is laughing at us now:

#CAAHoops obviously isn't what it was in the glory days, but can't recall a time when so many programs had clear reason to be excited about their coaches + their futures. Really, Towson is the only one that doesn't have some kind of momentum

https://twitter.com/TheSeahawkPerch/status/1369467903045697537?s=20

They taught me in law school that the truth is an absolute defense (in a libel or slander case). Let’s face it, it’s true-TU MBB is floundering and the administration is unable/unwilling to take the action we all know is necessary. There’s nothing to do, other than hope things get better, & run out the clock on Skerry’s contract. 

Edited by TSU88

7 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

They taught me in law school that the truth is an absolute defense (in a libel or slander case). Let’s face it, it’s true-TU MBB is floundering and the administration is unable/unwilling to take the action we all know is necessary. There’s nothing to do, other than hope things get better, & run out the clock on Skerry’s contract. 

Sure there is.  We can raise the $2.2MM to buy out the contract.