• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

Player profiles

Not talking about coaches. Nobody wants to talk about next season and it's difficult to review this season, so I'm going to attempt to look at each player and their situation. The top win of the year came against Northeastern on Feb. 14 and it was our last regular season game. At 4-14 with three pauses it was the most bizarre season we could have ever imagined and a bad one on the court as well as off the court. Towson averaged 68.6 points per game on 41.3% shooting (29.6% 3pt). The worst part of the season wasn't really the offense. It was the defense, which allowed 75.3 points, 44.8% shooting and 38.9% from beyond the arc. That last mark ranked 340th in the nation. Last season, when they went 19-12, they allowed 32.3% from three-point range, which ranked 132nd. 

0 Curtis Holland. He took Zane's number and it fit. He played zero minutes. Here's a kid who is 6-2, 220 and averaged 14ppg at High Point in nine games before getting injured. Hasn't played since then. Will he be back? I think if he can't play after nearly a year-and-a-half, not sure he ever will. If you bring him back, you risk the fact that he could be the top scorer on the team or may miss most of the season. Future: ?

1 Demetrius Mims. Sophomore. Could get 3 more years, but not sure that will happen. Has to build up his body. At 6-6, 185, he's long and very athletic but his shot needs a lot of work. Averaged 5.9ppg, 3.2rpg. Shot 43.5% from the field and 30.8% from 3pt. Was 4 of 13 from 3pt. Avg 18.9mpg. Has a future but he needs a lot of skill work and could add at least 10 pounds so he can play some power forward. Future: Local kid who has potential if he works hard in the offseason.

2 Zane Martin. If Holland's injury situation was a little more clear in the offseason, Martin probably wouldn't be here. Led the team with 16.5ppg but shot just 39.2% from the field and 22.1% from beyond the arc. He did pass it well (3.5apg), but did not defend well. He shot over 38% from 3 three seasons ago as a sophomore. Should never have left. Didn't play the last two games. Gone.

3 Cam Allen. The Cal-State Bakersfield transfer may have been a little bit of a victim of the pandemic and lack of practice. He never seemed to have chemstiry with the rest of the squad. He shot just 24.1% from the field, 40% from the line and 30.8% from beyond the arc, averaging 2.5ppg in 15.3mpg. Rough season to be nice. He's also gone.

5 Jakigh Dottin. Averaged 4.1ppg and 1.1apg in 15.2mpg. Shot just 36.4% from the field but he is the answer of a trivia question. Who led the 2020-21 Tigers in three-point shooting percentage? Dottin at 37.5%. Also a solid free throw shooter at 81.3%. Will he be back for his senior season? Not sure, but you can't keep everyone if they already have a commit and are searching for wing transfers.

11 Jason Gibson. Made some small strides in his sophomore season. Averaged 10.1ppg, just 1.9apg on 39.3% field goal shooting and 34.3% 3pt shooting. Struggled with a back injury all season long and practiced very rarely. Then was injured in the first half of the tournament game. Durability question marks will be there. Two new point guards coming in. Might be more of a combo guard coming off the bench. Does struggle with the quicker point guards. 

12 Juwan Gray. Avg 7.2ppg and 4.6rpg in 25.6mpg in five games before suffering a career-ending Achilles' injury. They did miss his ability to defend stretch fours and four guard lineups, which all the post players had issues with.

22 Solomon Uyaelunmo. Avg. 6.9pp and 6.rpg in 20.3mpg. Shot 67.9% from the field and 53.8% from the line. Despite struggling his final game and playing in just 12 games due to COVID protocols, showed a soft touch in the paint. Decent rebounder. Ok defender. Not sure his future depends on what his brother does.

23 Darrick Jones Jr. The Oak Hill three-star reserve averaged just 5 minutes per game. Was great in warmups. Also didn't get much time to practice due to various health issues.

25 Nicolas Timberlake. Second on the team with 11.9ppg. Added 4.0 rebounds 35.6% shooting and 32.6% 3pt. Just not effiicent offensive numbers. Has the motor and athleticism was probably hindered by foot issues. Will have surgery in the offseason. Not sure what role will be next season. Your starting 2 or 3 has to be be a more consistent shooter. His motor seems to be better served for bench. Depends on who they bring in, but they are desperate for another wing who can score with better shooting numbers. 

32 Charles Thompson. Made all-Defensive team, though still needs work defending the post and players on the perimeter. Did lead team in blocks with 1.6 per gem. In Rebounds with 6.7 per game. Avg 9.5 points on 5% shooting and a solid 64.6% from the line compared to last season's troubles. Is he a role player or potential star? For this team to be competitive next season, he needs to be a more well-rounded offensive player. They need to build the team around him until they can find a guard that's Fobbs-like or hopefully one of the young point guards can step up.

34 Victor Uyaelunmo. Avg. 3.1ppg, 5.7rpg. 0.8 bpg in 16.1mpg. Really disappointing. Of all the transfers, Holand, Allen, Martin, and Mims, big Vic really struggled. Lack of strength hurt him in the post. Not much of a motor. Had all the tools, Nearly 7-feet and athletic. Maybe not great instincts. Again, not everybody is coming back. 

35 Chris Biekeu. Avg 2.2ppg and 2.4rpg in 9mpg. Showed some ability in longer stints when Solomon and Victor were out. King of awkward at times. Needs some work on his offensive game. Like most of the bigs, they struggle with putting the ball on the floor and footwork.

Needs: Better wing play. More quickness in the backcourt. Better shooting. 

• Like 1

Nick & Gibby obviously played hurt this season..  CT had a decent sophomore season. 
I know I know we need so much more added but I’m confident this trio really wants to be here and they are coming back. 

Only 20 practices of playing 5 vs 5 per PS...   

As always thanks Matt.. stellar report and I’m now even more depressed.  
Kinda wish we tanked more and Jones/Biekeu had gotten more minutes under their belts. 

We truly need a miracle in the offseason for us to even be competitive next season.  
Any chance we can start a Fab Five of our own!?

Ok I’m heading to the Golden Gate 🌉 and  I’m jumping..  don’t try and stop me.  

Watching JMU and Elon makes it more depressing. JMU doesn't really even need Matt Lewis. They have a bunch of guys from 6-4 to 6-6 that can handle, pass, defend, etc. It's why we need more practice. We get some raw athletes, but they are raw. As I say that, it's 3-point lead now for JMU. So they certainly miss him, but Elon has a bunch of shooters and that keeps them in the game. They need more size on the wing. Hofstra has a small backcourt, but 6-6 and 6-5 guys on the wing that are long and athletic, where you don't really need a power forward. If Mims was 20 pounds heavier and had a better shot....

Weird question..  as alumni are we allowed to reach out to recruits and influence them choosing Towson via social media!?

I feel like our board bitches so much that crazy as this may sound that maybe we need to step up and help the program. 

Not trying to be Sam Gilbert or Rich Perry of course but I’m being dead honest..  how can we help our basketball program!?

1 hour ago, Bay Area Tiger said:

Weird question..  as alumni are we allowed to reach out to recruits and influence them choosing Towson via social media!?

I feel like our board bitches so much that crazy as this may sound that maybe we need to step up and help the program. 

Not trying to be Sam Gilbert or Rich Perry of course but I’m being dead honest..  how can we help our basketball program!?

That would likely depend on what is said, donations to the program etc. let’s be honest though, the ncaa isn’t coming around Towson basketball for violations anymore (this isn’t the Duane Coverdale days LOL)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bay Area Tiger said:

Not really. I'd be careful as an alum. You can follow them on Twitter or Instagram. I'm sure others try and influence players, but alums are really not supposed to "recruit" players.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bay Area Tiger said:

Found this on the UL Lafayette athletics site:

• Boosters are subject to some limitations on their contact with prospective student-athletes. One component of NCAA rules is that only the authorized coaches may recruit on behalf of the institution. This promotes competitive equity by ensuring that every program has the same number of people available to recruit for their program. Boosters are not permitted to recruit prospective student-athletes on behalf of the institution. So it would be a violation of NCAA rules for a booster to contact a prospective student-athlete by Twitter or Facebook to encourage them to attend UL. Likewise, it would be impermissible for a booster to set up a fan page in order to encourage a specific prospect to attend UL, such as a page entitled “Cajuns Fans Love Jake Prospect.” Because the institution is held responsible for the conduct of its boosters, doing so would require the University of Louisiana at Lafayette to self-report a violation of NCAA rules.
  • It is not, however, impermissible for booster to follow a prospective student-athlete on Facebook or Twitter, as long as they are not reaching out to that recruit to in any way encourage them to attend UL. Boosters may not contact a prospect even if a prospective student-athlete invites people to contact him or her to advise them about what school to choose.
  • Also, keep in mind that someone can be both a member of the media and a booster, depending on the context. As a member of the media, you would expect that someone would be seeking information, not pushing a particular agenda. So if a media member/booster contacted a prospect to say “I hear you are leaning towards UL, would you care to comment” that would be an appropriate contact by a member of the media. If that same individual sent a message saying, “I hear you are leaning towards UL, I think you would look great in Red and Black. Is it true?” that would be impermissible contact by a booster because they are encouraging the prospect to attend UL. It all depends on the context.

So in answer to your question, it doesn't look like we can do that.  Because I'm in the media AND I officiate two high school sports, I have to keep this in mind when I'm working games.

• Thanks 1