• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

2021-22 Transfer Thread

1 hour ago, Tgr4life said:

What do you want him to say? There is nothing he can say that will make any difference. Let his results do the talking for him. In one of the posts above, some kid is coming because PS laid out his path to a conference championship. I fell bad for the kid as he likely will be very disappointed. Talk is cheap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am right with everyone in doubting Skerry, but just because this year (and three of the last four years) was a disaster does not mean he has given up and can't sell a clear vision of how he things we get to a conference title. I am not saying it will work, but I know he won't stop trying to do it.

Say what you want, but he has convinced Frank Mason (didn't qualify or play), Justin Gorham (transferred after one year and is now going to the Final Four) and Jerelle Benimon to come to Towson at one point or another. Benimon and Gorham are probably as talented as any players who have stepped foot on campus outside of Devon Boyd, Chuck Lightening, Kurk Lee and Gary Neal (maybe as it ended up Michael Green as well).

I believe the level of talent has gone up since Skerry has come here (not including what we just watched). He just has a brutal style, does not coach well in one-game elimination scenarios and needs to update his thinking to modern basketball. That doesn't mean that he can't grind on the recruiting trailing, lay out his vision and hopefully for all of our sakes trip over the next Benimon.

If we all bemoan being stuck with Skerry for the next five years, I think our only hope is the mantra "Players win championships not coaches". We all bemoan the fact we are stuck with Skerry. The only optimism I have left is somehow he convinces a player that this place is the right program for him and we get lucky. That is what we are all hoping for remote as it may be. I agree with Datres about waiting until transfers actually get to campus (heck that holds true any player no matter their hype), but the fact of the matter is with the transfer market the way it is there are more opportunities to get good quick if you can find the right fit for a player who is leaving another situation.

Sometimes I feel like people here don't want Skerry to succeed. When getting another coach is reality, we can have that conversation. Until that time, I want him to succeed and he did at one point have a degree of success at Towson. It has just been really rough recently. I have a lot of doubt about what he can still do with this program, but I hope some day he breaks through and shoves all these comments back in our faces. Until then, I will continue to scan the transfers and recruits and hope we luck out and find the next impact player who makes Skerry look good. 

• Like 1

I’m probably one of Skerry’s toughest critics but I do want him to succeed and I will give him credit for one thing at this point-the dismantling of last season’s roster. My sense (just a gut feeling) is that maybe, just maybe, Skerry finally gets it and is committed to bringing in at least some guys who are purportedly decent shooters. Or, maybe he’s feeling a little heat. I don’t think he’s on the hot seat yet, but maybe the seat is getting a little warm.

In any event, I have a feeling the deconstruction of last season’s roster isn’t done yet, so, assuming I’m correct, let’s see who else he brings in. Ultimately, all of our pontificating and speculating are just words in the wind, as the real proof will be in what happens on the court, starting in the fall 

• Like 1

If we are talking he is here until 2025.  Then yes he should address what he has planned for this coming season and the next 3 after.  
Happy he’s brought in some new faces!

Just give us a plan!  How hard is that!? 

His shows with Spiro have been light hearted and fun.  I want more transparency is all. 

Not picking on him..  how does he plan to get us to a conference title by 24’-25’. 

Edited by Bay Area Tiger

5 hours ago, TSU88 said:

My sense (just a gut feeling) is that maybe, just maybe, Skerry finally gets it and is committed to bringing in at least some guys who are purportedly decent shooters.

Unfortunately, I don't think Skerry can bring in decent shooters because our program now has a "stink" about it that sends them running to the arms of others. Yes, he has attracted *some* solid players, but they tend to leave early, and he does little to improve the ones who theoretically could rise to that level. Like almost everyone else on this board, I'd love to be proven wrong, but I don't have actual hope. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TigerFan54 said:

Unfortunately, I don't think Skerry can bring in decent shooters because our program now has a "stink" about it that sends them running to the arms of others. Yes, he has attracted *some* solid players, but they tend to leave early, and he does little to improve the ones who theoretically could rise to that level. Like almost everyone else on this board, I'd love to be proven wrong, but I don't have actual hope. 

Notice I said “purportedly” decent shooters 😉

3 hours ago, mat1992 said:

Pass on this one.  Averages 3 points a game at Ohio and shoots 34% from the field.  We need shooters/scorers, we should be able to do better.  

• Like 1