• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

2021-22 Transfer Thread

Hard to gauge a guy who only played 12 games, & averaged only a little over 7 minutes per game. Still, I hope we can do better 

12 minutes ago, tu_fan said:

I'd like to see us pursue this guy.  Local guy, showed some traction, and much sturdier than Victor.

https://richmond.com/sports/college/vcus-brendan-medley-bacon-a-7-1-center-enters-transfer-portal/article_fadd358e-9199-11eb-b673-c7bbddfaaea4.html

His numbers at Coppin were similar to Victor other than blocks. He played 13 games for VCU last year and did nothing 

1 hour ago, tu_fan said:

I'd like to see us pursue this guy.  Local guy, showed some traction, and much sturdier than Victor.

https://richmond.com/sports/college/vcus-brendan-medley-bacon-a-7-1-center-enters-transfer-portal/article_fadd358e-9199-11eb-b673-c7bbddfaaea4.html

55 assists from a big man that’s 7 feet tall?!?  He can play point guard for us 😂😂

• Haha 1

yep....our leader had 53 (zane) followed by gibson with 28......Matt may be right, he might be a reach, but his numbers at Coppin were good, certainly better than Victor's....and if our new shooters could spread the floor, a pass first big man might not be a bad addition to the team....

3 minutes ago, tu_fan said:

yep....our leader had 53 (zane) followed by gibson with 28......Matt may be right, he might be a reach, but his numbers at Coppin were good, certainly better than Victor's....and if our new shooters could spread the floor, a pass first big man might not be a bad addition to the team....

No idea if we’re looking at him or if he’s interested in coming here in any event. His numbers were barely serviceable in the MEAC, at least in terms of scoring. True, he did grab 8 boards a game, but against what kind of competition? He barely got off the bench at VCU. I understand there’s a natural tendency to be enamored with 7 footers, but this guy should be a last resort in my humble opinion 

18 minutes ago, tu_fan said:

Haha victor was 9-36 from the field. At 7 freaking feet. Seems impossible 

8 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

No idea if we’re looking at him or if he’s interested in coming here in any event. His numbers were barely serviceable in the MEAC, at least in terms of scoring. True, he did grab 8 boards a game, but against what kind of competition? He barely got off the bench at VCU. I understand there’s a natural tendency to be enamored with 7 footers, but this guy should be a last resort in my humble opinion 

Agreed 

also, 15 pages into this topic shows there are a few fans still out there who care 

• Like 2

I dunno guys....I'll agree to disagree.  The CAA was garbage last year and our offense was one of the worst in all of D1, so I'm not sold on how inferior the MEAC was, at least compared to us (although we beat Coppin by 5 in our only MEAC game).  Take a closer look at this guys numbers the last 10-15 games of his sophomore year at Coppin.  They were real good.  His final 12 games the guy averaged 13 points and 13 rebounds a game with a ton of blocks (and he would have led our squad in assists).  He started to figure things out.....He may not be the next Kevin Durant, but he's no Victor or Jamel Flash, either.  Averaging a double / double in the MEAC would still play well in the CAA.......

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/brendan-medley-bacon-1/gamelog/9999/

3 minutes ago, tu_fan said:

I dunno guys....I'll agree to disagree.  The CAA was garbage last year and our offense was one of the worst in all of D1, so I'm not sold on how inferior the MEAC was, at least compared to us (although we beat Coppin by 5 in our only MEAC game).  Take a closer look at this guys numbers the last 10-15 games of his sophomore year at Coppin.  They were real good.  His final 12 games the guy averaged 13 points and 13 rebounds a game with a ton of blocks (and he would have led our squad in assists).  He started to figure things out.....He may not be the next Kevin Durant, but he's no Victor or Jamel Flash, either.  Averaging a double / double in the MEAC would still play well in the CAA.......

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/brendan-medley-bacon-1/gamelog/9999/

tu, I concede there’s something to be said for a guy who averaged 8.9 rpg & 2 blocks per game. The red flag for me is his utter lack of production at VCU, but of course the competition VCU plays against is far better than what he would play against in the CAA. I’d still be very reluctant about signing this guy, assuming again that there’s even mutual interest. Btw, the schools he narrowed his choices down to when he picked VCU were ODU, Rhode Island, Southern Illinois & Boise State. This may be another example of a guy who got stars in his eyes and listened to people tell him he was too good for Coppin, when he might have been better served staying their & being a big fish in a small pond 

Well at this point, assuming there is just one ship left, they need close to a sure thing up front. They need a physical post player who can rebound, defend and set screens. There is no rush because there are dozens of decent players leaving every day and some intriguing seven footers like Medley-Bacon and Chol Marial. Personally I’d rather have a 6-8 kid that can bang and finish inside.