• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
mat1992

Montgomery delivers game winner against Loyola

Ok, while I didn't go to this one (had a baseball draft and I'm having serious back issues), I was sort of able to watch it in the background on LSM, while I was following a never-ending auction draft. It was as dull as you can imagine at 7-6, considering Loyola had seven shot clock violations and we had two. They were outstanding defensively, though the few uncontested shots we had, weren't on target. James Avanzato really struggled with a goal on 10 shots and four turnovers. We had just 13, a pretty low number for us, but struggled on the clears (18 of 24). We also struggled again on face-offs, going 4 of 16 (Shane Santora was 4-of-15). At some point, they needed to make a change to Drew Martin and it happened late in the game when Santora got beaten badly after we just took a 6-5 lead.

But with Brody McLean injured, redshirt junior Tim Montgomery really stepped up. He's basically been a role player over the years, playing mainly on EMO, but has stepped up lately. Today, he had three goals and the game-winner in OT. Sophomore Jonathan Bender started in place of McLean on attack and had five shots. I honestly don't remember if I've seen Bander play at all. 

Credit Shane Brennan (8 saves) and the defense. They were put in a tough position due to some of their own clearing issues, but also on the face-off struggles. To hold Loyola to six goals in an overtime game when the Hounds won the OT face-off, is very impressive. Hopefully, this propels them because they need to start winning CAA games now.

Montgomery looks good.  Fast with a hard shot.  If we had addressed face off, we'd have a really solid squad this year.  

28 minutes ago, tu_fan said:

Montgomery looks good.  Fast with a hard shot.  If we had addressed face off, we'd have a really solid squad this year.  

IMO, Montgomery has struggled for most of his career because he's too left-handed and he turns the ball over a lot. However, in the last few games, he's going right more and he definitely stepped up today against a good goaltender when the offense was offensive. Face-offs have been really up-and-down. They've recruited a few guys who just haven't stepped up, but why Nads allows a guy to win just 4 of 15 face-offs before making a change is beyond me. Santora has had some good games lately, but he was crushed today.

20 minutes ago, Blazer49 said:

Pleasant suprise to see them win yesterday.  Darn shame they blew that 4 goal lead against the Chickens last week.

Agreed. Defense was much better, fewer turnovers though instead of blowing a big lead they came back when it looked as though they were going to lose another.