• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
DCMMaloney

Predictions on 2021 regular season record?

Not even close. The team is so much better than what they have us. Just like in 2011. We were predicted dead last and won the conference. I see the same thing this coming season

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Other than being fodder for discussion and bulletin board material, these rankings are just window dressing. There are so many variables that we have no idea how they will play out, that will ultimately determine how we do this fall, including the biggest and most obvious, in my opinion-injuries. Other issues include how will the new QB, Ferguson, perform, will the FBS RB transfer, Howard, spark the running game, can the D pressure opposing QB’s, what effect will the 2-year layoff have on those players who haven’t suited up since 2019, can we beat 1 of the big 3 on our schedule (NDSU, SDSU, JMU)….

By my way of thinking, if we lose all 3 games vs the big 3, we’ll have to go at least 7-1 in the remaining 8 games to make the playoffs, and that could be a very tall order. Therefore, it would behoove us to win 1 of those games vs the big 3

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

Other than being fodder for discussion and bulletin board material, these rankings are just window dressing. There are so many variables that we have no idea how they will play out, that will ultimately determine how we do this fall, including the biggest and most obvious, in my opinion-injuries. Other issues include how will the new QB, Ferguson, perform, will the FBS RB transfer, Howard, spark the running game, can the D pressure opposing QB’s, what effect will the 2-year layoff have on those players who haven’t suited up since 2019, can we beat 1 of the big 3 on our schedule (NDSU, SDSU, JMU)….

By my way of thinking, if we lose all 3 games vs the big 3, we’ll have to go at least 7-1 in the remaining 8 games to make the playoffs, and that could be a very tall order. Therefore, it would behoove us to win 1 of those games vs the big 3

Well, we do know that we have added a tremendous amount of proven talent on our defense.  There are multiple players that made 100+ Tackles at their previous schools.  I suggest that you do some research on those players that were added.  Injuries, that’s part of football.  We have proven players at every spot in our top 50 on the depth chart.  That means a minimum of  two players with proven game experience at each position.  IMO we are deeper and more talented than any other team in the CAA.  Our D will most certainly be able to create pressure with out blitzing.  The QB will be operating behind an OL that goes 13 deep.  Avg size of those linemen will be 6’5 329!!!  BTW, the team is already on campus and working under the new NCAA summer guidelines.Expect big things from this team.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, RundaPower said:

Well, we do know that we have added a tremendous amount of proven talent on our defense.  There are multiple players that made 100+ Tackles at their previous schools.  I suggest that you do some research on those players that were added.  Injuries, that’s part of football.  We have proven players at every spot in our top 50 on the depth chart.  That means a minimum of  two players with proven game experience at each position.  IMO we are deeper and more talented than any other team in the CAA.  Our D will most certainly be able to create pressure with out blitzing.  The QB will be operating behind an OL that goes 13 deep.  Avg size of those linemen will be 6’5 329!!!  BTW, the team is already on campus and working under the new NCAA summer guidelines.Expect big things from this team.

I’m aware of the talent that’s been added. I hope we go 11-0. I’m merely saying that, notwithstanding the talent on paper, there are variables which will impact the season that will have to play themselves out. I had great expectations for the 2019 season, that is, until we were decimated by injuries. I don’t care how deep we are on paper, we have to have the good fortune to avoid a repeat of the wave of devastating injuries that we suffered in 2019. And, as far as I’m concerned, the jury is out on whether we brought in the right QB. I stand by everything I wrote in my last post. That doesn’t mean I’m not hoping for the best; just means the games are played between the lines, not in preseason polls 

This is a very talented and deep team and yes, it could come down to Ferguson. Is he the 2018 version or the 2019 version? He won't need to be a star here. 

As for the rust factor, there could be some on offense, though Ferguson did play some for Liberty last season. Howard hasn't played running back in a few seasons. But guys on the D-line played either in the fall or spring as did Lumor. Most of these teams that played in the spring will have some carry-over effect from the wear-and-tear. It's just not natural to play that many games in March and April and then get ready in August. For example, Delaware played eight and could have played 10 had two games not been canceled.

We have a cynical bunch. I get it. If that 2019 team had a healthy Shane Simpson, Ricky DeBerry and Brandon Shuman, we would have won at least two more games and would have been in the playoffs. But they weren't. This team is better at almost every position. Probably not at running back or quarterback. Shuman is back. We also added about five more guys that are similar to Shuman in the secondary or possibly better. That 2019 team overachieved in some aspects due to the injuries and still finished 7-5. 

Ferguson doesn't have to be Flacco, but in some ways, maybe he'll be better in terms of a quarterback who won't run around in circles, looking for the big play, instead of just taking what the defense is giving you. Having a strong running game will take that pressure off of Ferguson and the addition of Howard and possibly Folley, will give us two beasts in the power running game that might be able to play in the same backfield.

Exciting possibilities.

• Like 3