• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

Off-season news and clips

11 hours ago, Bay Area Tiger said:

This Charles Thompson loves Towson and it really shows in his expression.  So does Jason Gibson.  Glad we have these guys as pillars to help us win.   Yeah I know I know we are down but who knows what happens in 2021-22..   Just happy these guys represent our school!

You know we are down? Is that due to football season? Not sure what that means.

On 9/26/2021 at 6:58 PM, Bay Area Tiger said:

Nothing to do with football 

down meaning our fanbase expects very little from this basketball team is all. 

I like this group and hope they can win big for us. 

Two years ago we had a winning record in the league. I'm not going to apologize for bringing up the positives. The fans can believe what they want to believe. This is a much better team. Does that mean title contender? I'm not going to pick them first, but not going to pick them last either. Yes, last year stunk in many ways. No Zane, no Solly, no Jakigh, No Victor, No Mims, No Cam Allen. All struggled big-time last season. A lot of these guys missed a ton of time due to all sorts of things (a lot I can't mention legally). So thinking that Cam Allen would not shoot 28% from the floor and 29.6% from the three-point line after shooting 39.6% from 3-point at Bakersfield. But even if he shot his average of around 35% and 34% 3pt. That was not enough. 

Terry Nolan? An upgrade whether he plays point or wing. Zane and Gibby played it last season He'll play mostly point. Gibby can now recover from the back surgery and play the 2, I assume off the bench. He's an upgrade due to his size (6-4, 190), his ability to defend (much better than Zane) and he is a natural born leader. Antonio Rizzuto (6-3, 210) isn't a great shooter, but he's competent at 36% career. Was an elite defender in the America East. Will that translate to the CAA? I think it will since there's not a huge difference anymore between the conferences. CAA is more athletic though. Curtis Holland? I think if he has healthy feet, he can help big-time as a shooter, but not sure we can count on that. Cam Holden? He's the key. He's the guy that can do things at the 4 we haven't seen before. Not just stretch the D, but also take it to the rack. Great rebounder at 6-5ish, 205.

All these kids that left, I can throw them under the bus, but we all did for all the years that they played. It's not necessary. Some great kids there. But not a ton of talent and basketball skill. Another thing we've mentioned for years. Some guys are built like a tank and they played like that. At least these guys (I believe) can play.

I don't think we have a superstar and that's why I'm reluctant to say we're title contenders. But I can say we will be pretty good. I do want to see them in the fall practice, because when I saw them in the summer about half the team was out due to injuries.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/26/2021 at 6:23 PM, mat1992 said:

Two years ago we had a winning record in the league. I'm not going to apologize for bringing up the positives. The fans can believe what they want to believe. This is a much better team. Does that mean title contender? I'm not going to pick them first, but not going to pick them last either. Yes, last year stunk in many ways. No Zane, no Solly, no Jakigh, No Victor, No Mims, No Cam Allen. All struggled big-time last season. A lot of these guys missed a ton of time due to all sorts of things (a lot I can't mention legally). So thinking that Cam Allen would not shoot 28% from the floor and 29.6% from the three-point line after shooting 39.6% from 3-point at Bakersfield. But even if he shot his average of around 35% and 34% 3pt. That was not enough. 

Terry Nolan? An upgrade whether he plays point or wing. Zane and Gibby played it last season He'll play mostly point. Gibby can now recover from the back surgery and play the 2, I assume off the bench. He's an upgrade due to his size (6-4, 190), his ability to defend (much better than Zane) and he is a natural born leader. Antonio Rizzuto (6-3, 210) isn't a great shooter, but he's competent at 36% career. Was an elite defender in the America East. Will that translate to the CAA? I think it will since there's not a huge difference anymore between the conferences. CAA is more athletic though. Curtis Holland? I think if he has healthy feet, he can help big-time as a shooter, but not sure we can count on that. Cam Holden? He's the key. He's the guy that can do things at the 4 we haven't seen before. Not just stretch the D, but also take it to the rack. Great rebounder at 6-5ish, 205.

All these kids that left, I can throw them under the bus, but we all did for all the years that they played. It's not necessary. Some great kids there. But not a ton of talent and basketball skill. Another thing we've mentioned for years. Some guys are built like a tank and they played like that. At least these guys (I believe) can play.

I don't think we have a superstar and that's why I'm reluctant to say we're title contenders. But I can say we will be pretty good. I do want to see them in the fall practice, because when I saw them in the summer about half the team was out due to injuries.

I think it is fair to have guarded optimism. These transfers are certainly one of the more accomplished groups we have brought into the program in recent memory based on what they did at their previous institutions. Skerry has also shown after bad seasons (2018-19 the notable exception) that he can generally navigate us back to decent results after losing conference seasons. We have had losing conference seasons in three of the last four years (after having winning conference seasons in four of the first six years), but 2019-20 was a good showing down the stretch and last year was hard to count against anyone in college hoops because it was so weird.

The main elephants in the room are obviously Skerry's complete inability to do well in conference tournament play, most of his teams have been terrible shooting teams, in general they don't play a very aesthetically pleasing style, and he has had not really many (if any to speak of) signature non-conference victories. I realize that is a lot of elephants in one room.

I just want to see this team re-establish the toughness that Skerry's teams have had that have led us to good regular-season conference success in thepast, and it would be nice if some of these new guys could breath life into what was a completely unwatchable and inefficient offense last year.

I get the sense from some of what I have read that these transfers can fit in and be good leaders on this team, which is desperately needed after last year. This brings me back to the fact that I have guarded optimism that we could a solid CAA team this year.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Tiger93 said:

I think it is fair to have guarded optimism. These transfers are certainly one of the more accomplished groups we have brought into the program in recent memory based on what they did at their previous institutions. Skerry has also shown after bad seasons (2018-19 the notable exception) that he can generally navigate us back to decent results after losing conference seasons. We have had losing conference seasons in three of the last four years (after having winning conference seasons in four of the first six years), but 2019-20 was a good showing down the stretch and last year was hard to count against anyone in college hoops because it was so weird.

The main elephants in the room are obviously Skerry's complete inability to do well in conference tournament play, most of his teams have been terrible shooting teams, in general they don't play a very aesthetically pleasing style, and he has had not really many (if any to speak of) signature non-conference victories. I realize that is a lot of elephants in one room.

I just want to see this team re-establish the toughness that Skerry's teams have had that have led us to good regular-season conference success in thepast, and it would be nice if some of these new guys could breath life into what was a completely unwatchable and inefficient offense last year.

I get the sense from some of what I have read that these transfers can fit in and be good leaders on this team, which is desperately needed after last year. This brings me back to the fact that I have guarded optimism that we could a solid CAA team this year.  

I think guarded optimism is right. The transfers do provide some degree of hope. Of course, it would be naive to think other teams in the conference haven’t brought in their own batch of transfers as well, so who’s to say? 

You’re also correct about the elephants 🐘 in the room. Unfortunately, we have enough pachyderms to start a circus 🎪