• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

Summer practice report #1

First time seeing a practice in about a year-and-a-half. Didn't want to wait until the fall considering half the team is new (7/7). It was honestly great for me personally just to see something live involving sports. I've had a tough spring physically and I'm still not 100%, but good enough to see a practice with no masks at SECU. I put practice #1 up top because I'd like to see them again. It's tough to judge a team when they can't really go 5-on-5 and we only had 10 players with two walk-ons. I did my best to evaluate.

As for the injury issues, Cam Holden was in a boot and is out two weeks due to a foot issue. Chris Biekeu was also in a boot. Nothing major. Nick Timberlake is coming off ankle surgery and wasn't there. Jason Gibson had off-season back surgery and he's not going to participate. You also had Juwan Gray coming off an Achilles' injury in December. He looks close to being ready (around 230 pounds compared to being listed at 215), but there's no way he's practicing yet coming off that serious injury. Hopefully, he'll be ready in the fall. 

So that's a lot missing, but hopefully the first two will be back as I'm going to try and check them out one more time in mid-July.  

The three veterans I mentioned were expected to be out. Biekeu looks incredible physically and is around 235ish at 6-7. Charles Thompson is 6-7, 246 or so. He looks great. Chase Paar is humongous at 6-9, 255. He was hampered by a quad injury, so he looked a step slow.

As for the team, again, take some of this with a grain of salt. This was their fourth practice (a bit more casual in the summer), but there were some good and some bad as expected. I think Nolan (11.2ppg, 34.3% 3pt,81% FT 3.3apg) and Rizzuto (12.5ppg 36.2% 3pt LY) will be fine. Neither of them are stars, but they make you better. They both do a lot of things well on both ends of the floor. Both can defend and make shots and are both around 200 pounds, so they won't get pushed around. Rizzuto was a little off target, but not worried about his shooting. Nolan is very vocal and appears to be a born leader. He made the pass of the day, driving the lane and instead of taking an awkward shot, he flung the ball while in the air, to Rahdir Hicks in the corner. Hicks sunk the shot and even in a situational drill, you saw what Nolan is capable of adding to the team. 

Hicks is ahead of the other three freshmen. He's a strong on-ball defender and can make shots. He's not very big (6-0, 160), though looks a tad bigger than his listed weight. I will be focusing on him because I think he will end up playing a lot this season. Tyler Gill has an odd-looking shot and he's even smaller than Hicks. Tyler Coleman (6-7, 230) wasn't there due to illness.

IMO the key is Curtis Holland (12.7ppg, 39.1% 3pt at High Point in 2019-20). At 6-2, 220, he's a tank with great leaping ability. Apparently, he had the best vertical leap on the team and we have Timberlake, Nolan, Darrick Jones Jr. and Rizzuto, who can all get up. He is the best pure shooter on the team. He can post up smaller players. But he has a bit of a confidence issue. It's hard to explain and I don't want to speculate on personal issues, but the body language experts on this board would have a field day. Hopefully, if I see them again, he'll be a little more upbeat. Just seemed to be down on himself and he shot well.

I wasn't overwhelmed with anybody else. Then again, there were only eight scholarship players on the floor. Really liked Hicks, Nolan, Rizzuto and Holland's shooting. CT is fine. He still has that one-handed jumper, but he's a center. He's going to start most likely, unless Paar pushes him. He just needs to score in the paint when he gets the chance, rebound and defend. We have three guys capable of playing center. We don't need to play two post players this season. Last season, we didn't have much choice when Gray went down with the Achilles' injury. You had Solomon and Mims playing the 4 spot. Now, you'll have Cam Holland and Gray. Holland can do so many things well. I just can't wait to see him on the floor with some pretty good shooters.

Jones Jr. was ok. He had a rough season and PS will explain some of it below. He's still basically developing, but we don't have years to wait. He has to make some big strides this year. I didn't see a whole lot today. He basically needs to be a 3 and D guy. Can he defend the 3 spot? I don't know. He certainly has the ability and he looks stronger. Can he make the open 3? He has to become more consistent. We won't play all 14 this year. He is technically a freshman because all freshmen get an extra season. He's one of those guys I need to see more of and I'm sure they feel the same. 

Overall, it was tough to judge in mostly drills with just 10 players, but I can see the potential. We just need Holden (14.9ppg, 8.3rpg, 2.0apg) on the floor and then in the fall, for those transfers to play with Gray, Timberlake and Gibson. I think rotation-wise, if we go nine, I see the bottom with somebody being left out or getting very little time. With Nolan, you can play him off the ball or at the 3 since he's 6-4, 190 or Rizzuto who is 6-3, 200 with Hicks at the 1. It's a shame that Gibson is coming off surgery, because you'd like to see him play both guard spots with these older players. 

And let's face it. We're substituting skilled and experienced players, who have legitimate numbers (double digits except for Paar) and add Curtis Holland's last season at High Point. That's four players who averaged around 12-14ppg for Cam Allen, Victor, Solly, Dottin and Mims. Zane had talent, but was terrible his last two seasons for whatever reason and very inefficient. Maybe Timberlake goes back to the bench and becomes the league's top sixth-man again. Even if he averaged 12.1ppg last season, he shot 36% from the field. You have to get better efficiency and shooting at the wing. That's where Rizzuto and Holland come in. You want to talk about consistency? Rizzuto shot 36% from 3-point range in all three seasons at Albany and we have him for two more years. He can also defend as well as anybody so you know what you're getting from him.

PG Nolan, Hicks

SG Rizzuto, Gibson

SF/WG Holland, Timberlake

PF/F Cam Holden, Gray

C Thompson, Paar

Pat Skerry Q&A
On first four practices
It's early. We have to get some guys back healthy. I like the group a lot. High intelligence. Good work ethic.
The skill level is going to allow us...we ran a pretty good offense two years ago...we have a chance to have a 
pretty good offensive group with spacing, passing and shooting. They have a really good intent. They want to be good
and do the right thing as they are figuring things out. We have a long ways to go.

What to accomplish in these summer practices
Improve our bodies through nutrition and strength and conditioning. Amit Vohra (strength coach) has been awesome. Really excited about
him. We used it like spring football. There are concepts we're trying to look at. I don't think you can have a mulligan
when the season starts. Over eight weeks, 2-3 workouts per week, you find out who's good with middle ball screens, side
ball screens, stagger screens. Half the guys back and half the guys are new. Before the pandemic, we spent an entire
summer running our offense that we changed. I thought it really helped us figure out what we had. We are looking at
five or six new wrinkles. Hopefully, we come out of it saying 'we liked that' or we 'didn't like that.'

On last season
My AD asked after last season, what had I learned. I learned that if you don't build habits through routines, it's hard
to have success. That's what we're trying to do.  We want to build good habits. We think we have good players with 
good intent. If we can build good habits, our talent can shine through.

On transfers
Pretty seamless in terms of chemistry. We've had them over the house, we went bowling. We had movie night. That piece
was refreshing. The transfers were good. They've had a lot of game experience. They understand what to do in-game
situations. There are five freshmen because Darrick (Jones) and Chris (Bieku) get their year back. Darrick had a really
good spring. You can see his body looks a lot better. He's a tremendous athlete. We're working hard on his shot and
he's getting better. Focus on not turning the ball over, defense and making open shots. You don't talk a lot about it
in the media, but Darrick didn't have any practices last year in the summer or fall. His first workout was in the 
Mohegan Sun because he wasn't cleared after COVID. That's a hard year. Then we had all the positives. He didn't have 
a lot of court time in the spring. I'm encouraged and optimistic about what he can bring to us. It's early and he's trending 
the right way.

On schedule
Almost done. It's been a little bit wacky. I plugged in a game last year in George Mason. We just needed a chance to play.
Excited about playing in Las Vegas. On national TV against high-level programs. We'll have a tough trip to Ohio State
and Kent State. We'll end up with six home non-conference games, the most we've had in awhile. I think people will
be excited to be back at home. Will be a hard schedule and it should help us. You want to get as many home games
and good opponents as you can. You want to get as many good teams to play at home, which is not easy to do. And you don't
want too many games on the road. 

On home games
Charleston had 20% capacity and it was the only time last season we played in front of some fans. Playing at home was
like playing a scrimmage with music. It was bizarre. It was tough for a lot of people in all aspects.

We had a really good spring. We're going to try and have a really good summer. We have a long way to go. I really
like the intent of the group. Cam (Holden) tweaked his foot. Will be in a booth for a couple of weeks. Chris B. 
should be back. A little bit of tweak and he looked pretty good before. Had a pretty good first week-and-a-half. 
Just a little overuse.

Ball movement
We have a little more skill. Nolan and Rizzuto bring talent and experience. Gamesmanship. Holden will do this too especially
as we bring back Timberlake and Gibson, guys who have had success at this level. They can help us. Hicks has played well.
He has good feel and gets the ball out of his hands quickly.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the update. Seems like a lot of interesting pieces going into the year. Hard to get overly optimistic, but it does sound like Skerry is trying to evolve and do different things. We will see how that translates in-season.

Last year was a disaster, but in his defense there were a lot of teams who had those types of years with the uncertainty of last season. We are only two years removed from a nice CAA run at the end of the season. Hopefully a somewhat normal offseason can help this group of players establish some chemistry. There is clearly potential, but as others have said even with the decent quality of stats these transfers have coming into the program it is hard not to take a "prove it to me" approach to this program at this point. 

Mat, good to hear you're feeling better.  Thanks as always for the input.  Hopefully this group can mesh and play some good basketball together. 

One other thing to add and that's comparing last year's team with this year's squad. I don't know if having a full summer of practice would have helped the likes of Mims, Victor, Solly, Jones, Biekeu, etc. But it wouldn't have hurt. That's why you need a summer of practice for young players to try to develop them and for the more experienced players to mesh with a new system and players. Fortunately, we don't have a lot of developmental players but you do want to see Jones, Hicks, Biekeu, Gill and Coleman make strides before preseason starts. You couldn't have that opportunity last season with the pandemic stopping everything.

Matt…. fantastic job as usual.  Good health to you.  

Back surgery always scares me as far as the recovery process.  May take Gibson a bit longer so I’m glad we’ve added experienced backcourt players to pick up the slack etc. 

I’m gonna say Jones Jr gonna step up and help us.  Just a hunch.  

I enjoy all the coverage of weight room and conditioning etc.   I know it’s more important in this day and age.  
That all being said..  get them shots up guys.   More basketball skill work than ever before is the key for any sustained success this season.   If we can’t consistently knock down perimeter shots in 21-22’ then we are gonna be in trouble.  Yes of course we need to defend better but the college game today is knocking down them 3’s. 

Let’s all encourage Holland..  we see what happened to Ben Simmons.  
We need all hands on deck.  

Yes we are a suffering fan base that hates sugar coating anything but I plead with you all and even myself..   more positive comments on the board because these kids are reading everything and social media beats on many of them. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Bay Area Tiger said:

Matt…. fantastic job as usual.  Good health to you.  

Back surgery always scares me as far as the recovery process.  May take Gibson a bit longer so I’m glad we’ve added experienced backcourt players to pick up the slack etc. 

I’m gonna say Jones Jr gonna step up and help us.  Just a hunch.  

I enjoy all the coverage of weight room and conditioning etc.   I know it’s more important in this day and age.  
That all being said..  get them shots up guys.   More basketball skill work than ever before is the key for any sustained success this season.   If we can’t consistently knock down perimeter shots in 21-22’ then we are gonna be in trouble.  Yes of course we need to defend better but the college game today is knocking down them 3’s. 

Let’s all encourage Holland..  we see what happened to Ben Simmons.  
We need all hands on deck.  

Yes we are a suffering fan base that hates sugar coating anything but I plead with you all and even myself..   more positive comments on the board because these kids are reading everything and social media beats on many of them. 

Thanks. Had something similar to Jason, but I didn't get surgery. Just the shot and some rehab, but the first six weeks were awful. Herniated disc. His was different. He got it taken care of so hopefully he'll be able to play from now until whenever he stops.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, mat1992 said:

On last season
My AD asked after last season, what had I learned. I learned that if you don't build habits through routines, it's hard
to have success. That's what we're trying to do.  We want to build good habits. We think we have good players with 
good intent. If we can build good habits, our talent can shine through.

Great recap as always. Glad you are feeling better. The write-up has me more excited than usual for MBB but I think we are all desperate for Tiger men's basketball to relevant again, so hoping it's not false excitement.

The Skerry quote about "my AD" was interesting and a weird way to phrase it. I'm shocked TL would put any pressure on results given the lack of them we have seen in the major sports during his tenure.  Maybe seats are warming up? I got the "Towson Athletics Stakeholder Survey" emailed to me last week and I was pretty critical in my responses that getting a SWOT analysis done by an outside consultant isn't the answer. I'll actually start another thread about this.