• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
mat1992

2022 transfers, commits and offers

5 hours ago, mat1992 said:

So a bit of good news after a rough night. Hopefully, by next Thursday’s late signing day, we have added a QB transfer from FBS, several starting caliber OL from various FBS and FCS schools, an FBS TE and a LB or two.

I don’t want to call the QB a game changer like Flacco was, but he’s a major upgrade. 

There aren’t many who wouldn’t be an upgrade 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

There aren’t many who wouldn’t be an upgrade 

I think we all want the team to succeed, but also have to acknowledge that there are so many holes to plug. I will be ecstatic if this new QB and all the other transfers pan out. Prior to last season, I bought in on how all the transfers were going to lead us to a successful season. Now I’m once burned, twice shy-I’ll believe it when (if) I see it. This constant revolving door of guys who are 1 or 2 year stop gaps doesn’t seem to be a recipe for long term or, in our case, short term success. 

• Like 1

He threw a lot of picks I know. Three came against Georgia last season and three came against Tennessee in 2019. I don't think he'll see a defense of that caliber in the CAA. Went through injuries the last two seasons, which is why we need and hopefully will get another QB, but one who has more years available. Ran a lot more of his first two seasons and then struggled with injuries his last two seasons. Had 252 yards and two TDs in the C-USA title game against Marshall in 2020. Also threw for 298 with 2 TDs and one pick in the 2019 New Orleans Bowl against App State (they lost).

Was a 3* coming out of HS. Good size at 6-2, 220, 4.64 40.

https://draftscout.com/dsprofile.php?PlayerId=1028470&DraftYear=2022

https://247sports.com/player/tyler-johnston-46741/

A bit of a scouting report from last season when he struggled against Georgia

Tyler Johnston III was listed among several UAB Trailblazers on the 2021 Senior Bowl Watchlist. Every year, there’s usually one Group of Five passers that becomes a favorite amongst the draft media. 

Johnston III has a couple of fans around the community, however, he remained a relative unknown to most. With a strong season, he had the potential to gain some recognition and improve his draft stock. 

However, Johnston struggled with deep ball placement and threw three turnovers in the process. While he’s not a player with a ton of draft stock already, Johnston’s struggles versus Georgia did not help. 

The following is not a criticism of this signing. For all I know, he’ll come here and put up great numbers. I certainly hope he does:

Chris Ferguson career stats:

868 attempts and 491 completions. 5,791 yards & a 56% completion rate, with 45 TD’s & 29 INT’s

Johnston: 537 attempts and 312 completions. 4,837 yards & a 58% completion rate, with 37 TD’s & 28 INT’s.

Obviously, it’s impossible to draw a direct comparison between the two based purely on stats. Many variables such as injuries, style of play of the teams they were on, quality of opponents & quality of players on their own teams….  That being said, while Johnston is certainly more mobile, his passing stats are quite similar to those of Ferguson. 

The above is offered strictly to stimulate conversation and is not offered as any type of conclusion on my part, other than I hope we still bring in a dual threat QB to compete for the QB job 

12 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

Well his brother says he’s good. I’m sold.  We likely won’t have the best qb in the caa but we for sure will have the oldest. 

Who cares what his age is? Flacco was 24.