• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
mat1992

2022 transfers, commits and offers

9 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

The following is not a criticism of this signing. For all I know, he’ll come here and put up great numbers. I certainly hope he does:

Chris Ferguson career stats:

868 attempts and 491 completions. 5,791 yards & a 56% completion rate, with 45 TD’s & 29 INT’s

Johnston: 537 attempts and 312 completions. 4,837 yards & a 58% completion rate, with 37 TD’s & 28 INT’s.

Obviously, it’s impossible to draw a direct comparison between the two based purely on stats. Many variables such as injuries, style of play of the teams they were on, quality of opponents & quality of players on their own teams….  That being said, while Johnston is certainly more mobile, his passing stats are quite similar to those of Ferguson. 

The above is offered strictly to stimulate conversation and is not offered as any type of conclusion on my part, other than I hope we still bring in a dual threat QB to compete for the QB job 

Ferguson played all but about 4 mop up games in the CAA. Johnston threw six picks against two SEC defenses. I'll admit that the so-called "winner" tag was on Ferguson for that one year he directed Maine to the FF. Johnston certainly played better competition and shined in big games in the C-USA title games and two bowl games. 

There's really no comparison when you see the video other than they are similar size (Ferguson was about 2 inches taller and 10 pounds heavier). Johnston didn't run a lot at UAB, but he certainly has the ability. At this point, you aren't getting another Tom Flacco, but I think if we get him and another FBS QB, we'll be a hell of a lot better on offense next season. And we'll need to be considering our D is what it is.

I'll just take any kind of excitement for the fans this season on offense. We have pretty good receivers and get Matthew Akuchie, the FIU transfer who was hurt last season. We're another veteran running back away, though would like to see what Sabias Folley can do as the lead back and the transfer from Maine Curtis Murray has (he was injured last season) in the spring. Of course, the offensive line is a major question mark with so many new bodies coming in and most should be experienced. That's where they need the spring to work these guys out. That's something we didn't have last season-a spring. You just can't bring in an entire new defense in the summer and hope it works out. There was no option with no spring ball. Now at least you can work in Johnston with the offense and some new OL guys. 

I'm not going into this season with unrealistic expectations. We don't have the defense, the personnel, the xs and os. Too many questions about the Oline with three new starters (probably). Even if our D had the talent, the results are usually the same. Not enough pass rush. Soft coverage. Open guys in the middle. Etc. 

I do like Johnston (TJ3?). They weren't talking NFL Draft about Chris Ferguson in 2018 or 19. I need some more videos.

2 minutes ago, mat1992 said:

I'll just take any kind of excitement for the fans this season on offense. We have pretty good receivers and get Matthew Akuchie, the FIU transfer who was hurt last season. We're another veteran running back away, though would like to see what Sabias Folley can do as the lead back and the transfer from Maine Curtis Murray has (he was injured last season) in the spring. Of course, the offensive line is a major question mark with so many new bodies coming in and most should be experienced. That's where they need the spring to work these guys out. That's something we didn't have last season-a spring. You just can't bring in an entire new defense in the summer and hope it works out. There was no option with no spring ball. Now at least you can work in Johnston with the offense and some new OL guys. 

I'm not going into this season with unrealistic expectations. We don't have the defense, the personnel, the xs and os. Even if we did, the results are usually the same. Not been pass rush. Soft coverage. Etc. 

I’m all for a high octane offense. And you’re right, with our D (no pass rush & dreadful on getting off the field on 3rd down) we’re going to need to score early & often. You can’t blame me for being at least a bit skeptical. Other than Flacco, our recent track record with transfer QB’s has been checkered, to put it charitably. 

1 minute ago, TSU88 said:

I’m all for a high octane offense. And you’re right, with our D (no pass rush & dreadful on getting off the field on 3rd down) we’re going to need to score early & often. You can’t blame me for being at least a bit skeptical. Other than Flacco, our recent track record with transfer QB’s has been checkered, to put it charitably. 

We all know the failures and we know Flacco and Enders. This kid can play, but whether he can stay healthy behind a mostly new OL is another story. I do like the way he plays. Not the prettiest release or strongest arm, but it gets there and he has the gunslinger mentality, which is fun, but can get you into trouble.