• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
etiger

NIL - What does this do to TU?

How does this new NIL affect TU?

Curious also to hear folks' thoughts on these boards about the NIL changes & how you think it'll impact TU and schools in the CAA.

July 1, the NCAA made a major announcement, which said:

“Name, image and likeness rights are frequently called an individual’s right to publicity. NCAA athletes will now be able to accept money from businesses in exchange for allowing the business to feature them in advertisements or products. Athletes also will be allowed to use their own status as a college athlete to promote their own public appearances or companies for the first time.”

But what does this mean for TU?

It’s the Wild West though I’m sure they will be given some guidance. Players at our level won’t be able to make much, but a handful of “stars” could make a little something in endorsements.

• Like 1

Finally the athletes get something after universities have made millions off of them. Also this means NCAA Football games can be made again!!

1 hour ago, TUTigers said:

Finally the athletes get something after universities have made millions off of them. Also this means NCAA Football games can be made again!!

Really? What about the free education, COA and room and board?  I don’t think that people are thinking this thing through.will be the biggest mess in the history of AMATEUR sports!  You wanna take income?AW2 and 1099 will be attached to it.  

• Like 1

This had to happen after the Supreme Court ruling. The NCAA is essentially powerless now. It all goes back to the Ed O’Bannon case and how he was unable to get compensation when his likeness was used on video games. They knew this day was coming and if they are not prepared for it, it’s on them.

What is the NCAA? It’s not just Mark Emmert. It’s the Presidents and Athletic Directors of these institutions. Some kids don’t have a lot after getting a free education and not every school has COA. 

I’m all for stipends and COA. I’m for free I-pads, phones and computers. I think this could be a disaster in locker rooms where some kids are making serious coin and the linemen may not want to block for a rich QB or RB if they don’t share. 

But again, the NCAA basically dug  it’s own grave, Forget what I think. I’d be curious to hear what some of the parents on this board feel about this.

I am a parent and I think it’s ridiculous and it takes away from collegiate sports! Getting a free education and college experience without being in debt is appropriate! This erases history and traditional values. I do not support it one bit!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RundaPower said:

Really? What about the free education, COA and room and board?  I don’t think that people are thinking this thing through.will be the biggest mess in the history of AMATEUR sports!  You wanna take income?AW2 and 1099 will be attached to it.  

We disagree on a lot runda but you are spot on in this case.  Great post. Let them now pay their tuition, books, meals, etc and be taxed on income.  The last one might help athletes in the long run...knowing earlier on what Uncle Sam takes from your earnings. 

The rich get richer with this.

Transfer portal is gonna be nuts. Highest bidder gets the best players. Hurts Towson in every sport as we have nothing to show in football and hoops. 

4 hours ago, TUTigers said:

Universities don’t make millions off of them. Some schools make a lot, but those are few and far between. 
If you hate coaches for making a very lucrative living and jumping ship sure, most coaches aren’t worth 1/8th their salaries. 

Interesting comments. I go back and forth on this, but the players aren't getting paid by the schools. They are making money off their own image and likeness, which is now legal so in that case, good for them. Here is a list I found about some Maryland athletes making money (who knows how much) in this new era of NIL. Yes, these kids (most who are on scholarship) get a lot of extras, but what they don't get is the chance to make a little extra dough working a side job, which so many college students do. I know, many college students have to pay their own way, but many don't. They have either some kind of scholarship or their parents are paying for them. Once again, they have the option of getting jobs. A football player, can't really do it that since he's basically playing, working out or practicing almost 12 months a year. It's here to stay and to think that everybody is going to transfer, well, they are already transferring. Adjust to the times or get run over.

https://www.testudotimes.com/maryland-terps-football/2021/7/1/22558455/maryland-athletics-student-athlete-name-image-and-likeness-nil-deals-tracker-social-media-promotions