• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

Two-sport athletes

I was thinking about this the other day. It's so difficult nowadays to be a two-sport athlete in college, because so much time is devoted to one sport. So I believe I covered at least 10 men and women's athletes who played both sports. If you guys want to add one or two, be my guest.

1)Mike Locksley (football/basketball). Yes, the current Maryland coach was a safety here in the late eighties and wound up walking on the basketball team.

2)Gina Profili (WLax/Field hockey). A hall of Famer who graduated in 1991. Scored 24 goals with eight assists in lacrosse and was an All-Conference three times in field hockey.

3)Meredith Barron (Vball/Wbb). Played volleyball in the late nineties and walked on to the basketball team.

4)Nick Williams (football/lacrosse). Former running back and midfielder, now coaching women's lax. Scored 29 goals and had 22 assists in his career. Had four goals in the 2005 NCAA Tournament against Cornell. In football, ran for 1,985 yards, which at the time was good for fifth all-time.

5)Tommy Breaux (Football/basketball). Great athlete who played wide receiver at 6-8, 200 after transferring from Blinn JC. Was more of a defensive stalwart in hoops. Great shotblocker from 2006-08.

6)Dan Ross (Football/lacrosse). Late nineties played football at defensive tackle and was a 6-2, 280-pound attackman. 

7)Michelle Robinson (soccer/track and field). One of the all-time great goalkeepers in women's soccer also threw/put the shot and had a record throw in 1994 of 40+ feet that stood for a decade+. 

8)Kelly Robinson (wball/track). A Hall of Famer mainly due to her dominance in the javelin in 2006. Also very good rebounder in hoops.

9)Peter Athens (football/lax). Played just one year of lacrosse, but was known for helping the 2013 football team for getting to the 2014 National Title game.

10)Jeff Bolser (punter/baseball). Pitched for the baseball team and was a really good punter in the early nineties.

11)Tom Flacco (football/basketball). Didn't have a lot of success in baseball as a hitter, with an average of .221 with a homer and 11 steals. Had much more success as a quarterback where he finished his two-year Towson career with 49 passing TDs and 17 INTs with a 61% completion rate. Ran for 1,076 yards and six TDs.

12)Olivia Finckel (Vball/hoops). Another outstanding athlete who walked on to a hoops team. She was a great volleyball player. Joined the team in the second semester of the 2019-20 season. Scored her only point on a free throw.

13)Terrance Brooks (Football/T&F). Tragically passed away in 2011 at just 47. Was the ECC discus champion and first-team All-America offensive guard. Hall of Famer in both sports. Was 1985 Male Athlete of the year.

14)Terry O'Brien (Football/T&F). Hall of Famer was inducted in 1992. He was more well-known as a long-time trainer. He was a place-kicker and offensive lineman in the mid-seventies. He scored 72 points in 1974, which was a D3 record at the time that stood for 18 years. Was also an indoor track shot put champion.

15)Jennifer Breakey (lax/Field hockey). Another great lacrosse player, who also played field hockey. Graduated in 1993. Hall of Famer. Was All-ECC in 1992 when he scored 38 goals with 13 assists.

16)Frank Mezzanotte (football/lacrosse). I added this great athlete because he's in the Hall of Fame and graduated in 1973. His nephew Peter was a solid player about a decade ago. Was also a linebacker along with with defenseman, who was third-team All-American in 1973.

Trying to stick with players I saw or covered from 1989-2021. There were many more athletes in the Hall of Fame and not in the HOF, who played two and even three sports in the 50s and 60s, because that was the norm.

• Like 2

Love this and so much I didn’t know. 
TO the trainer was legendary and I knew football but not track & field. 

Nowadays it is very tough to do 2-3 sports in high school let alone college. 
Every sport is year round everywhere it seems.   Baseball Academies have really changed the landscape for colder regions of the country.  

EG/My son will be a Junior here in SF and plays for a public school..  football and baseball.  He was recruited to play for a Jesuit private school playing in the WCAL (Tom Brady) but crazy as it sounds they wanted him to focus on one sport which he didn’t want to be forced to do. 

I wish he could play basketball as well but the way our seasons overlap here doesn’t allow for it.  Kids are forced to choose. 

52 degrees and fog here currently and yet I miss Towson a ton. Enjoy. 

14 minutes ago, Ghost of andy7171 said:

I seem to remember a lot more than one FH player also playing WLAX in the early 90's.

I’m sure there were a handful. I just put the ones   I remembered and are also in the HOD. Was Bolser the only two sport guy on your team?

18 hours ago, mat1992 said:

I’m sure there were a handful. I just put the ones   I remembered and are also in the HOD. Was Bolser the only two sport guy on your team?

Well, Locksley was a senior my RS Sophmore year.  Bolster was a senior my true freshman year, I think.  I didn't realize he was a two sport athlete.  You know, being a kicker, it didn't cross my mind.  :)

Jeff Bolser after he was done playing baseball played on my intramural softball team.  Not sure how and where softball is played now, but we use to play on the Burdick Field which I beleive is all turf now.  Anyway one of the softball fields was right next to what is now Scherholtz Park.  The softball backstop ws near the 3rd base dugout of the baseball field.  Anyway Jeff hit a softball on to the top level of the parking garge.  It was a BOMB!