• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

Summer practice report #2

This will be my last report until October. Hopefully, by then, we will have all 16 players (including walk-ons) there as there are several players rehabbing injuries (Gibson, Gray, Timberlake) and several guys were out today (Holden, Holland, Hicks). Cam Holden was in a boot the last time I saw him three weeks ago and was shooting on the side. But was not participating in drills. His form, though a bit unorthodox. It was going in from 3 early and often. Better shooter than I thought, even if was just shooting it around flat-footed.

I thought Rizzuto shot it better than I had seen in the first session, but as I said before. Not worried about him or Terry Nolan. Both guys have high IQs and can make basketball plays. I do want to see Holden in action because I know he's also a baller who can score. My big worry is Curtis Holland. Nobody on this team is more of a pure shooter and we have some pretty good shooters. But I don't know if he can post every day and every game physically. 

The first time I saw Chase Paar, I was impressed with his size, but he looked a bit slow. Apparently had struggled with a leg issue. This time, he was playing a stretch 4/5 and sinking 3s from everywhere. I wasn't sure he had it in him, because he never really shot 3s at GW. It's possible that they can play Thompson with Paar on the court at the same time since he can stretch the floor as can Juwan Gray when he gets back. But Holden, Nolan, and Rizzuto should be a lock to start. Personally, I'd rather see Holden at the 4, but not sure who will be at the 3. Holland? Injury and confidence issues. Timberlake? Coming off an injury and needs to be more efficient. They could go with Hicks, Rizzuto and Nolan, but not sure they want to start a freshman at the point or combo.

I did get to see Tyler Coleman, who wasn't there the first time due to getting his second vax. He's a lot bigger than I thought at 6-8, 230. He has a ways to go with his body and his lack of explosion is a concern if he's going to play the post. However, he has Thompson, Biekeu, Paar, Gray and Holden ahead of him at the 4/5. A redshirt is certainly a possibility. Biekeu wasn't hurt the last time I was out there and he still didn't appear 100%. He's a big dude at 6-7, 235. Doesn't really stretch the floor. Does have potential with that size and length. You do need depth and he could see some minutes at the 5.

More later with some comments from PS.

• Like 2

Opening

"A lot of encouraging things. The intent of this group is off the charts. We have to get healthy, but I can't complain about work ethic, attitude, coachability. Our bodies are getting back to what our teams normally look like. I thought last year during the pandemic, I didn't think we look like we normally look. We have some guys that look the part."

On Curtis Holland

"I thought he looked good yesterday. I'm not a doctor. He's a good enough player to help us. Timberlake comes back tomorrow. We know he's going to help us and has helped us, because he's as competitive as they come."

On versatility

"For Tiger Fans, Rizzuto and Nolan bring talent, toughness, energy, leadership. They're everyday guys. As a staff, we're encouraged by Charles (Thompson) and Chase Paar playing together and looking good. That is is in the equation. Chase has looked really good the last couple of weeks. He arrived here with a bit of a quad injury. His body has been changing. He has some skills with shooting and dribble handoffs. He's 6-10 and is a wall. He's doing a good job with changing his body. We also have Gibby on the court during workouts and he such a good shooter. Cam (Holden) will be a better shooting threat than people realize. He looks good. He never really lifted so he's benefitting. He can deck it and pass it. Until you are healthy, then you can put it together. We decided to play the veteran guys more together. There is some spacing that can help us. Charles has been great. He's such a worker. He's as tough a guy as we've had. He's a leader. I can't say enough about the type of guys they are. You want everybody to be 100%. That has a lot to do with your success. I can't complain about intent, work ethic, accountability, toughness. It's been awesome."

On this summer

We had a great summer in Fobbs' senior season. We had our best offensive year. We played more because we weren't as banged up. I appreciated being able to do what we normally had done (no Summer in 2020). We haven't done it in so long. It sounds simple. It's hard to build habits when you don't have a routine. It makes you appreciate what you had. We're out recruiting here. The veteran guys we brought in they look differently. That makes you feel good. You have four guys that have played a lot and you still have Nick, Juwan, Gibson. Juwan is working his tail off. He has skill and is bigger than he ever has been. Played at under 220 last year. Will play at a little under 230.

Hick has played well before he got hurt. Gill is a worker. Tyler Coleman is making strides with his body. Has a high IQ. Played for some good coaches. As his body changes, his game will evolve into that. Chris Biekeu is an older freshman. His body looks great. He has to take care of the ball. I've been pleased with Darrick Jones. If he takes care of the ball and continues to work, he is a heck of an athlete. He has to be solid from 3. He has the tools. He's had a good spring. He didn't have any of that last year. There is a path for him ane he controls that. He's doing a good job.

Objectives on finishing up practice:

1)Get Healthy.

2)Continue to build habits.

3)As we are playing around with a couple of different concepts, do we do a good enough job evaluating that minus some key guys. It's a little like spring football. Two years when we changed our offense, we used it all summer. We're trying to play with a little better spacing. It would help if we had everyone on the floor. I have four guys that played a lot on a good team. The four transfers we brought in late I trust those guys. We have a freshman in Hicks who has a good path. Curtis Holland is talented enough to play. He has a high IQ. He's very strong, athletic and can shoot. There's going to be competition. We know Nolan, Rizzuto and Timberlake are going to play. As far as the freshmen (along with Jones and Biekeu) can they be everyday guys. Paar moves better than we thought. We're going to play a skilled lineup with two guards, but we can play two bigs. We have some versatility.

• Like 4

Most excited about Chaae Paar..  a lefty big who can shoot the 3 is a huge asset in this current college game. 

God I hope this team can stay healthy. 

Love the report as always Matt.  
Wintertime here in SF so it feels like basketball season 🏀

Thanks for this, time and time again there is reason for optimism. But lets see how it all plays out.