• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

Final Scrimmage update

Not much can be said here other than the weather held up. No major injuries though RG Alex Desire (lower body) is out. They had DeMarcus Gilmore at right guard and Temple transfer Darian Bryant at right tackle. That appeared to be the potential starting right side in 2019 before Bryant was injured. Yet, Desire gives them the option of starting at right guard with Gilmore moving back to tackle where he started in 2019.

It wasn't a typical scrimmage because they were getting ready for Morgan State. They were using situational football, first-and-goal at the 5, two-minute offense, first down at your own five. Situations like that and the hope was to get through it without a major injury. 

The lineups should be despite the fact that they were using several different lineups to prepare for potential injuries or COVID issues.

I was a little surprised to see Brandon Shuman playing with the number two defense/scout team. It appears that Charles Peoples and Mark Collins Jr. have won the starting jobs. RA certainly mentions that in his comments, which I'll get to.

Thought Ferguson was excellent. He doesn't have a rocket arm, but shows nice touch. A nice back-shoulder throw to Caleb Smith for about 40 yards early in the scrimmage. His play-action ability fits this offense and head fakes will help. The offense wasn't great. At times they struggled against the scout team/No. 2s, but that wasn't a normal scout team. They had Oly Okombi (Kent State) and Tramar Reese (Indiana) on the defensive line. Both are FBS players and have great motors (love Okombi). Still an issue at placekicker. I think they are going to go with Keegan Vaughn, but he struggled in the scrimmage missing a makeable kick and had an XP blocked (probably not his fault). Let's get to the comments from RA

On final scrimmage

"Too damn slow. We were waiting for something to happen today. Once things started to happen, played with a lot of energy and passion. We played really well. Too slow."

On kicking situation

"It's Keegan's to lose. If you would have asked me in the spring, I would have been scared to death. Not now.

On Oline

"If Alex is healthy, he might be the right guard. The left side is the left side. If Alex comes back, we have DeMarcus at tackle. If not, Darian plays right tackle."

QB race

"It's a two-man race. I'm thoroughly-impressed what they all did, But with the growth from the spring. Even though Chris wasn't here in the spring and if I took him out of the mix, they all got better. We got better because of that. :

Touchdown to Jabari was a veteran play. They put in a house blitz that we didn't practice against it. The two of them knew what to do. Vets know the game. It's a big advantage."

On defensive line

"We have a six roll. Our 1's are two-deep. Everybody is making a play. They all love each other. They all work together. They all just play hard together. We've had good teams and good players. I don't know if we've been that deep and that talented at that position. Not since I've been here."

On Nygill Johnson

"He always seemed to know what to do and now he's big enough and strong enough to hold up. Elm (Elmor) is going to play and so is Nygil. They are going to be a nice 1-2 punch."

On corners

Peeps (Peoples) and Collins. This is good for them. More quality depth that we've had in a long time. Now we just need to play to our potential.:

On depth at running back

"Folley is doing well. Kobe is going to fight it out with Folley (for the backup spot) and Matthews is going to be the short-yardage guy. I was thoroughly impressed."

What are the keys for next week

"Don't wait for somebody to make something happen. Just go play football and don't hold anything back. I think we'll be fine on defense, we'll be very good on special teams. Offensively, we need to tighten it up a bit."

• Like 1

ThanksMat. I like the fact that the majority team (90%) has been practicing together since January.  Remember,  Rob brought them back for both summer sessions.  So, aside from a few weeks off, this team has been together since the beginning of the second semester.

• Like 1