• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

Football shuts out Morgan State 31-0

Good news is we played far from our best football and still won easily. Morgan looked outmatched in every facet of the game. Honestly it was surprising how bad they were. Not even close. UNH will give us a better idea if we are actually good or not. 

Ok, let’s get the obvious explanations/rationalizations out of the way;  (1) many of our players hadn’t played for almost 2 calendar years; (2) perhaps we had a vanilla game plan against an inferior opponent. Now, with those out of the way, I was underwhelmed by our offense. A little over 130 yards rushing = “meh.” 270 yards or so passing, but 73 of those on 1 play. Our QB strikes me as having no particular zip/crispness on his passes, and will make no plays with his feet. I guess he’s a game manager, which I doubt is what it will take to beat the top tier teams in the CAA. I really have to ask, with all the QB’s who were in the transfer portal, is this the best we could have gotten?

Kudos to the D, except it’s hard to know what to take away from its performance today, given the quality, or lack thereof, of the opposition. Let’s face it, Morgan State set the forward pass back 100 years today.

I’ll end this post with the following question..how many points do you think a top tier FCS team (JMU, NDSU…) would have hung on Morgan today? Even with a dumbed down game plan? 50? 60? 

38 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

Ok, let’s get the obvious explanations/rationalizations out of the way;  (1) many of our players hadn’t played for almost 2 calendar years; (2) perhaps we had a vanilla game plan against an inferior opponent. Now, with those out of the way, I was underwhelmed by our offense. A little over 130 yards rushing = “meh.” 270 yards or so passing, but 73 of those on 1 play. Our QB strikes me as having no particular zip/crispness on his passes, and will make no plays with his feet. I guess he’s a game manager, which I doubt is what it will take to beat the top tier teams in the CAA. I really have to ask, with all the QB’s who were in the transfer portal, is this the best we could have gotten?

Kudos to the D, except it’s hard to know what to take away from its performance today, given the quality, or lack thereof, of the opposition. Let’s face it, Morgan State set the forward pass back 100 years today.

I’ll end this post with the following question..how many points do you think a top tier FCS team (JMU, NDSU…) would have hung on Morgan today? Even with a dumbed down game plan? 50? 60? 

I think expectations need to be tempered somewhat until we play UNH. But let's remember that Ferguson is not Flacco. He is sort of a glorified game manager. If Ferguson plays better, we can definitely win. It's not like he's never faced UNH before. In 2018, Ferguson completed 21 of 31 for 199 yards for 2 TDs in a 35-7 win for the Black Bears. They had about 200 yards rushing. He did not play in 2019 due to injury.

Bottom line is that Howard has to carry this running game almost as well as T-West did in 2013 for this team to go far. The other backs are solid, but they don't get as many yards after contact that he does. Maybe Folley does. Matthews is just a battering ram, but he's not going to make a lot of people miss. Ferguson is not going to run for 100 yards and throw for 300. But he's capable of doing what he did tonight and the WRs are capable of making more plays than they did. Some of those floaters down field were rough. I think he's still trying to find a rhythm with his WRs.  Unlike two seasons ago, the more I see of Miller, the more I think with this running game and huge offensive line, he might be effective if Chris struggles.

1 hour ago, TSU88 said:

Both teams haven’t played in 2+ years so there’s obvious rust. About what was to expected.  Morgan is the worst team in a bad conference.

Jmu hangs 70 and takes the starters out mid third 

FWIW, Jawon Pass, the Louisville transfer QB, who was here for 5 minutes this spring, before leaving after apparently being told he wouldn’t start for us, went 25-37, 354 yards & 3 TD’s last night for Prairie View A&M,vs TX Southern. Now, maybe TX Southern isn’t any good, but are they any worse than Morgan State? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TSU88 said:

FWIW, Jawon Pass, the Louisville transfer QB, who was here for 5 minutes this spring, before leaving after apparently being told he wouldn’t start for us, went 25-37, 354 yards & 3 TD’s last night for Prairie View A&M,vs TX Southern. Now, maybe TX Southern isn’t any good, but are they any worse than Morgan State? 

They seem worse than Morgan. They went 0-11 in 2019. Morgan would probably destroy them.