• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
TSU88

Same as it ever was

Very few positives to take away from the loss to UNH, other than the play of Jerry Howard. But of course, coach Genius takes him out on the goal line series late in the 4th Q, only to throw an idiotic bubble screen to him on 4th down.

Lets face it, this game wasn’t as close as the final score might indicate. If UNH had a kicker, they would have scored 37 points. Their QB sliced and diced our ballyhooed FBS transfer laden D and our tackling on D left much to be desired.

And let’s not forget the general lack of discipline on both sides of the ball, punctuated by mind numbing penalties at the worst possible times.

On offense, I think it’s not premature, after what we saw tonight, to say that we are in dire shape at QB. By any objective standard, Ferguson was atrocious. With all the dual threat QB’s who were in the transfer portal, it’s shocking that this is the guy RA hitched his wagon to. Meanwhile, Jeff Miller is a great kid, but he is sorely lacking as far as being a QB.  

Barring a miracle, we will be 1-3 after the next 2 games (NDSU & SDSU). We also have JMU at the end of the season, and one doesn’t have to be clairvoyant to guess how that will turn out. So, that means we have to go 6-0 in our other games to even have a shot at the playoffs. Can any objective (emphasis on objective) person honesty believe that will happen? Truth be told, this looks like a 3-5 win team. 

And who’s the main villain in this tragic comedy? Well, that honor goes to Coach Ambrose, for screwing the pooch as far as bringing in a new QB, combined with his brilliant in-game coaching decisions. Sadly, he will not be held accountable & I doubt he’s in any jeopardy of being replaced. 

We are doomed to mediocrity as long as Ambrose remains the head coach 

• Like 1

I have been a defender of Rob for a long time but it is time for a change. The game was in striking distance at the end and he proceeded to call arguably the worst sequence in his time at Towson. I will always appreciate what he did here but come 2022, we need a new coach holding the clipboard. 

• Like 3

I honestly don't think I've ever been more disappointed or depressed after a Towson loss and I've seen virtually hundreds of them. The lack of fire and passion in the first half. The poor discipline I'm not so sure of. What did Caleb Smith really do after the touchdown reception? Throw the ball too hard at the official? Jesus Gibbs I guess grabbed the jersey of the RB too hard and the RB shoved him. 

The guys that busted their ass all night were Howard and Matthews. There weren't a ton of holes (there were some early), but didn't see that effort from the LBs or safeties. Very little pass rush up front. I heard somebody mention in the Zoom press conference that turnovers can really get a team going, but they can also deflate you. Whether we were ready to play is another issue. But if we were, those two picks in the first half deflated us. Coaching on both ends, play-calling all issues. McConnell, who maybe didn't coach his best game since he should have waxed us, still seemed to know exactly what we were doing on both sides for the ball. 

I know everyone will question all the transfers that played or why maybe we didn't play in the spring. We didn't lose to a bunch of scrubs. But we were sorely outplayed. Even without the picks, we weren't moving the ball consistently. They knew exactly what we were going to run. Pocket passers to me are nearly irreilevant unless you have somebody that has a quick release, is very accurate and has a strong arm.

11 minutes ago, mat1992 said:

I honestly don't think I've ever been more disappointed or depressed after a Towson loss and I've seen virtually hundreds of them. The lack of fire and passion in the first half. The poor discipline I'm not so sure of. What did Caleb Smith really do after the touchdown reception? Throw the ball too hard at the official? Jesus Gibbs I guess grabbed the jersey of the RB too hard and the RB shoved him. 

The guys that busted their ass all night were Howard and Matthews. There weren't a ton of holes (there were some early), but didn't see that effort from the LBs or safeties. Very little pass rush up front. I heard somebody mention in the Zoom press conference that turnovers can really get a team going, but they can also deflate you. Whether we were ready to play is another issue. But if we were, those two picks in the first half deflated us. Coaching on both ends, play-calling all issues. McConnell, who maybe didn't coach his best game since he should have waxed us, still seemed to know exactly what we were doing on both sides for the ball. 

I know everyone will question all the transfers that played or why maybe why we didn't play in the spring. We didn't lose to a bunch of scrubs. But we were sorely outplayed. Even without the picks, we weren't moving the ball consistently. They knew exactly what we were going to run. Pocket passers to me are nearly irreilevant unless you have somebody that has a quick release, is very accurate and has a strong arm.

You’re spot on as to pocket passers, unless their name is Tom Brady, having gone the way of rotary dialing and Beta & VHS. Now, if we know that, why doesn’t Ambrose? 🤔

1 minute ago, TSU88 said:

You’re spot on as to pocket passers, unless their name is Tom Brady, having gone the way of rotary dialing and Beta & VHS. Now, if we know that, why doesn’t Ambrose? 🤔

At this level, you need a dual-threat QB. It's a must. Sure, Ferguson did a great job of managing the game in 2018 and that Maine team was special. Not sure what happened to him since then.

10 hours ago, TSU88 said:

Very few positives to take away from the loss to UNH, other than the play of Jerry Howard. But of course, coach Genius takes him out on the goal line series late in the 4th Q, only to throw an idiotic bubble screen to him on 4th down.

Lets face it, this game wasn’t as close as the final score might indicate. If UNH had a kicker, they would have scored 37 points. Their QB sliced and diced our ballyhooed FBS transfer laden D and our tackling on D left much to be desired.

And let’s not forget the general lack of discipline on both sides of the ball, punctuated by mind numbing penalties at the worst possible times.

On offense, I think it’s not premature, after what we saw tonight, to say that we are in dire shape at QB. By any objective standard, Ferguson was atrocious. With all the dual threat QB’s who were in the transfer portal, it’s shocking that this is the guy RA hitched his wagon to. Meanwhile, Jeff Miller is a great kid, but he is sorely lacking as far as being a QB.  

Barring a miracle, we will be 1-3 after the next 2 games (NDSU & SDSU). We also have JMU at the end of the season, and one doesn’t have to be clairvoyant to guess how that will turn out. So, that means we have to go 6-0 in our other games to even have a shot at the playoffs. Can any objective (emphasis on objective) person honesty believe that will happen? Truth be told, this looks like a 3-5 win team. 

And who’s the main villain in this tragic comedy? Well, that honor goes to Coach Ambrose, for screwing the pooch as far as bringing in a new QB, combined with his brilliant in-game coaching decisions. Sadly, he will not be held accountable & I doubt he’s in any jeopardy of being replaced. 

We are doomed to mediocrity as long as Ambrose remains the head coach 

Didn’t watch this game. But seems like more of the same…  our “fbs defense that will be the best in fcs” seems very disappointing lol. Don’t believe the hype from any of our salesmen coaches. 

I'm truly shocked at how non-explosive Towson's offense looked. Looked like they were moving in slow motion.  I don't know why I assumed there was much more speed on this team than there apparently is.

No urgency or creativity in the play-calling. 

Soft defense.

Also, just curious about Elorm Lumor's status on the team? As someone who also keeps a close eye on Rutgers football I know that he was a very solid player for the Scarlet Knights' defense.  Has he been getting any time for Towson?

Time for new leadership for Towson football.

Go Tigers!

• Like 1

Those referring to the "soft defense". You're right. Mark Collins Jr. is our best corner, but he shouldn't be the only one who can cover. When he went out after the first possession, we couldn't cover. Elorm Lumor was arguably the best transfer we picked up and he was out due to an injury. So the pass rush wasn't great. A strange move as they wound up using DT/E Tramar Reece to OLB. Seemed like we never set the edge. Maybe because he wasn't used to playing that spot. Don't think Lumorl play next week. Agree that Shuman and Peoples should be good enough to play closer to the WRs. That's not really why we lost. It's all about the QB.

All we heard about during the preseason was how much depth we had at all positions. So the absence of Lumor and Collins shouldn't have been a problem, right? But somehow, that depth was a mirage.

• Haha 1