• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
TSU88

FBS Transfer QB’s in the Ambrose Era

By my count, this is Ambrose’s 12th year at the helm (1st season I believe was 2009; there was no 2020 season). The following is a list of FBS transfer QB’s he’s brought in during that time. Feel free to add in anyone I might have missed:

Joe Brennan, from Wisconsin: ineffectual in his brief playing time

Morgan Mahalak from Oregon: Played sparingly, due to injuries 

Kevin Olsen from Miami of Florida: Never saw the field at TU. Transferred to Charlotte where he did play, before being dismissed from the team following a rape charge (he was ultimately acquitted of the charge)

Tom Flacco from W. Michigan & Rutgers: Outstanding in 2018, good, but not great, in 2019. Team went to 1 playoff game in his 2 years, getting trounced at home by Duquesne 

Jawon Pass from Louisville: Never saw the field here. Is now starting at Prairie View A&M

Chris Ferguson from Liberty & Maine: Early returns are poor; benched in the 1st half of the 2nd game of the season 

What about HS QB’s recruited by Ambrose? In 12 years, only Peter Athens has excelled, and that was for just 1 season (2013). Ryan Stover & Connor Frazier started, but were only marginally successful. There was also Ellis Knudson.

That leaves the JUCO category, which I believe Grant Enders falls in. I could be wrong, but I seem to recall that Ambrose passed on Enders out of HS. He then went to Holy Cross and a Junior College before ultimately making his way to Towson

Conclusion: Ambrose’s record (which is not a small sample size) of bringing in & developing QB’s, be they HS recruits or transfers, is dismal 

Edited by TSU88
  • Like 1

Enders was a juco who went to Holy Cross for a second. I believe it was Lackawanna.

Yes, the QB track record is poor. Despite all the miscues on defense, you have Tom Flacco last night and you probably win the game. 

QB is the most valuable position in all of team sports, hands down with not a close 2nd.  The ability to acquire a productive talent has evaded the endless resource rich NFL Scouts and owners since the beginning of football.  The number of number 1 draft picks that flop is so common that it is almost expected for any knowledgeable fan whose teams drafts a college all star QB.  Tony Romo was undrafted.  Missed by just about everyone.  Shaun Hill is the last decent QB by far with not a close 2nd that the University of Maryland has had and that was forever ago.  And he was not recruited by anyone but Fridge.  In fact the Terps QB's after Hill just flat out SUCK.  I wouldn't even consider them division 1 QB's.  They just suck and they then drag down the entire team, regardless of a super talent like Diggs or Moore.  At the NFL level, a really good QB doesn't come from Alabama or Clemson.  They come from unusual places many times.  It is just a difficult find.

My point is, is that it is a daunting task to find a good productive QB so in this respect I give Ambrose some leeway.  Yet at the FCS level, other schools in the CAA always seem to find someone pretty darn good when I watch the games season after season.  It is very rare where I think the QB of the opposing CAA team just sucks.  So in this respect Ambrose has failed miserably.  He cannot field a high school recruit that can perform at QB on a consistent basis.  Inconsistency gets you fired. A QB is everything to a coach's job

I think Maryland has a QB now and he may turn their program around. Coaches have lost jobs because they can find the right QB. Ultimately, that may happen here and it goes back to that position.

UNH doesn't seem to have issues finding QBs, usually mobile ones, to suit their system. The problem is we keep changing our system every few years to adjust to the QB.

3 hours ago, TSU88 said:

By my count, this is Ambrose’s 12th year at the helm (1st season I believe was 2009; there was no 2020 season). The following is a list of FBS transfer QB’s he’s brought in during that time. Feel free to add in anyone I might have missed:

Joe Brennan, from Wisconsin: ineffectual in his brief playing time

Morgan Mahalak from Oregon: Played sparingly, due to injuries 

Kevin Olsen from Miami of Florida: Never saw the field at TU. Transferred to Charlotte where he did play, before being dismissed from the team following a rape charge (he was ultimately acquitted of the charge)

Tom Flacco from W. Michigan & Rutgers: Outstanding in 2018, good, but not great, in 2019. Team went to 1 playoff game in his 2 years, getting trounced at home by Duquesne 

Jawon Pass from Louisville: Never saw the field here. Is now starting at Prairie View A&M

Chris Ferguson from Liberty & Maine: Early returns are poor; benched in the 1st half of the 2nd game of the season 

What about HS QB’s recruited by Ambrose? In 12 years, only Peter Athens has excelled, and that was for just 1 season (2013). Ryan Stover & Connor Frazier started, but were only marginally successful. There was also Ellis Knudson.

That leaves the JUCO category, which I believe Grant Enders falls in. I could be wrong, but I seem to recall that Ambrose passed on Enders out of HS. He then went to Holy Cross and a Junior College before ultimately making his way to Towson

Conclusion: Ambrose’s record (which is not a small sample size) of bringing in & developing QB’s, be they HS recruits or transfers, is dismal 

Quarterbacks and point guards.  Something we can’t get right. 
35-36 record since frisco with zero, 0, nill, nada playoff wins. I want to say rhode island is only other caa team to not win a playoff game since 2014. That’s truly embarrassing and any other program would have made a change by this point.  Need to go 6-0 against the other caa teams to get to 7 wins. That’s very unlikely. 

“don’t sleep on these guys!  They don’t know what’s about to hit them!  Unveiling, etc”

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

17 hours ago, TuTigers2012 said:

“don’t sleep on these guys!  They don’t know what’s about to hit them!  Unveiling, etc”

I think the defense really believed this.  If youre going to have this attitude, you need to play like you are out to prove something, not like the other team is just going to lay down.

21 hours ago, TuTigers2012 said:

Quarterbacks and point guards.  Something we can’t get right. 
35-36 record since frisco with zero, 0, nill, nada playoff wins. I want to say rhode island is only other caa team to not win a playoff game since 2014. That’s truly embarrassing and any other program would have made a change by this point.  Need to go 6-0 against the other caa teams to get to 7 wins. That’s very unlikely. 

Ah yes.  And here we are ‘12, you got exactly what you wished for. In regard to this team, my comments during the preseason were on the roster itself (which I still believe is the most talented in the CAAaside from the QB position). What I saw on Saturday was a team that still has no identity and a staff that did not have them prepared.

Edited by RundaPower

5 minutes ago, RundaPower said:

Ah yes.  And here we are ‘12, you got exactly what you wished for. In regard to this team, my comments during the preseason were on the roster itself (which I still believe is the most talented in the CAAaside from the QB position). What I saw on Saturday was a team that still has no identity and a staff that did not have them prepared.

What I wished for?  No a million times. I would have liked nothing more than undefeated season and trip to the championship.

Still bleed black an gold no matter what. But this is something easily predicted by anyone who has seen this program over the past 5-6 years, and doesn’t have direct ties to them. 

Disappointing to get outmatched by a much younger team on Saturday night. We have what 20-25 players who are redshirt seniors or graduate students?  Extra practice time to prepare for the season and they lay an egg.

Is the season over? Likely, as playoffs would be very very difficult to make now. 
Can they make it? Sure they could. I’ve seen some weird shit with Towson Athletics, good and bad, so nothing surprises me anymore