• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

Finding the right QB from this roster

We can't make a trade or pick up a QB who can play this season. We have five quarterbacks, including the two freshmen. The thing that puzzles me is when RA knew that everybody struggled in the spring and let Pass go, why in the hell did he not bring in two QBs? Knowing that Miller and Amendola were not the answer or not ready (maybe Amendola is the future), why are you relying on one QB who has not played since 2019 (didn't play well that season). Maybe it was a scholarship issue, but I don't care. He always finds a way to get some ships available.

We can whine and bitch about the QBs, but nothing will change until next season. It's not like he's not capable of finding a QB, but he just hasn't done it consistently enough. 

So here's what the options are:

Grad student Chris Ferguson: 6-3, 235. Big and experienced. Ok arm. Not very mobile. Struggling with accuracy in first two games. He's 25 of 47 for with 2 TDs and 2 picks for 298 yards.

Junior Jeff Miller: 6-6, 240. Huge and not experienced. Saw mainly mop up duty in 2019. Has been in the system for 3 years. Pretty big arm. Not mobile at all.  Completed 14 of 30 for 178 yards with one TD and three picks. Two of those pickk were not entirely his fault though.

R-freshman Vincent Amendola (6-3, 215) saw very little action at North Carolina in 2019. Threw four passes and completed three. Is the most mobile of the top 3 QBs. Ran for 479 yards as a HS senior in Raleigh, NC. Also threw for 27 TDs.

Freshman Nathan Kent (6-2, 190). Dual-threat QB who ran for 870 yards at Liberty HS. Threw for 2,330 yards with 23 TDs as a senior. Probably not ready to see action yet.

Freshman Scott Smith (6-4, 210). Big and pretty accurate QB who completed 67% of his passes at St. Paul's in his senior season. 

Yes, there should be a competition this week, but if it were me, I'm looking at starting Jeff Miller and using Amendola in certain packages. Get him ready to start after the bye week. They aren't beating any of these upcoming teams with the way the QB situation is. They probably wouldn't with Flacco, but at least he would give his more of a chance.

I’m of a mind that you go back to Ferguson the next two weeks. If he somehow resuscitates his season, all the better. If he doesn’t (and he probably won’t, seeing who we’re playing the next 2 weeks) then use the last 7 games of the season to see what you have in Amendola and/or the true freshman. I think we know what we have in Miller already. If I’m not mistaken, can’t freshman play up to 4 games without burning their redshirt season? 

If we’re 1-3 (hard to imagine we won’t be), and knowing we’re going to lose to JMU, we might as well use the last 7 games of the season as competition for next season, since the chances of going to the playoffs this season are remote, at best.  Then, we can all wait with baited breath to see who Ambrose, the QB whisperer, brings in next season by way of the transfer portal 

4 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

I’m of a mind that you go back to Ferguson the next two weeks. If he somehow resuscitates his season, all the better. If he doesn’t (and he probably won’t, seeing who we’re playing the next 2 weeks) then use the last 7 games of the season to see what you have in Amendola and/or the true freshman. I think we know what we have in Miller already. If I’m not mistaken, can’t freshman play up to 4 games without burning their redshirt season? 

If we’re 1-3 (hard to imagine we won’t be), and knowing we’re going to lose to JMU, we might as well use the last 7 games of the season as competition for next season, since the chances of going to the playoffs this season are remote, at best.  Then, we can all wait with baited breath to see who Ambrose, the QB whisperer, brings in next season by way of the transfer portal 

Yes, freshmen can play four games or less. They burn their redshirt if they play five games or more. If he thinks they can help him win games, he will and should play any true freshman and burn their redshirt.

The turnovers are killers. I think you need to give Amendola some snaps. He seems to be the best fit for our system. We need someone to extend plays and escape pressure.  Listened to the game on the radio and it seemed like Ferguson would get pressured then hurry the pass.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blounge said:

Such a salesman.  Must be nice to have some coverage of your program. Probably got more air time on that then he’s gotten here in a few years 

Did not see the game but sounds absymal from what others are saying. From the write up above, Miller sounds like a good option. Call me crazy, but I think the team will play well this weekend. Don't ask me why but they always do the unexpected (from an expected win against a weak opponent to sucking it up  or to no chance in hell and pulling off a miracle).. lol