• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
mat1992

Football gets routed at home by ND State 35-7

Hey, same score as 2014! Obviously this team is nowhere near as good as the 2014 version and their team back then was sensational. Maybe their best ever from what I was told. Before I get to the comments, I think Rob is waiting I guess for Lumor, Okombi, Alex Desire, and a few others to get healthy. In 2019, I gave him the benefit of the doubt for having 6 ACLs and all sorts of other injuries. But this season, I just can't. Now with those guys or not, we were outmanned at every position that mattered (sorry Special teams) and even if Lumor was healthy, it wouldn't change the fact that we couldn't run the football or stop the run. Nygil Johnson was supposed to be better than this. He was a Nevada commit a few years ago. He had two tackles. Keyvon Bruton looked like one of the best players in camp. He moved from safety to outside linebacker. He had two tackles tonight and in three games, I can't say he really shined. Don't like either starting line and Charles Peoples is having issues with the ball in the air. It was nice to see Mark Collins back, but this team is mostly about the run. If they were passing on every down, they might have put up 70 points. 

It could be worse next week as San Diego State is beating up on Utah 24-10 early in the fourth quarter. Their defense is usually top-notch and we could not move the ball tonight. Rob also gave his explanation about why he went for it on 4th and 2 at the 4. Maybe going for it wasn't the worst thing, because you knew you weren't beating that team with field goals. But the play call, Devin Matthews up the middle. was awful. Roll out Ferguson or try some kind of play-action. 

Ferguson wasn't awful. True, he doesn't have the strongest of arms, but in the first half when he dropped back, our WRs were way down the field and not getting open. They did get open in the second half and maybe because they were playing looser. If he gives us the best chance to win, that's fine. But it doesn't say much about the rest of the QBs. As most of us said in the off-season, we NEED a dual-threat QB. It would only make Jerry Howard's job easier. He had maybe three holes all night. 

I do like Howard, but he doesn't make people miss. I was pleasantly surprised with that run by Kobe Young tonight on the kickoff return. Maybe it's time to give him more of a shot on third downs. I guess it won't matter next week because the holes are not likely to be there. We are going to need to throw the ball.

Our football team suffers from the same problem as our basketball team....the head coaches are NOT head coaching material.  Probably exceptional as assistants but in over their heads as head coaches at this level.  Both are DIII level caliber head coaches......their recruiting, team prep, player development and in-game coaching decisions substantiate my claim. 

• Like 1

There’s really not much to say. The final score belies the vast gap in talent between us and NDSU. I guess it’s a moral victory in the sense I thought we’d lose 52-0. 

The play calling is putrid. The sad thing is you know that RA, with all the FBS transfers he brought in, was trying to build this team specifically for tonight’s game and the game at the end of the season with JMU. Either his assessment of the talent of the transfers he brought in was woefully off mark, and/or he & his staff has failed miserably in coaching them up. 

Next week vs SDSU promises to be very, very ugly. After the bye following next week’s game, it’s time to move on from Ferguson (who won’t be back next season in any event) and use the last 7 games of the season to audition the other QB’s on the roster. Of course, there’s always the possibility Ambrose brings in a talented transfer QB in the off-season. Oh, wait, never mind 

Edited by TSU88
  • Like 1

Ambrose opening comments

"They were a very good football team. There's no way for us to simulate their physicality with our roster currently. I told our guys that the national championship goes through them whether you play them in Fargo or here or you play them anywhere. It's an animal that you can't understand until you face it. I have a locker room of guys who know exactly who Mike Tyson is now. Looking forward to playing them again."

On play-calling being limited

"For us to win this ballgame, we were going to have to run the ball. We were going to have to keep them off the field as much as we could. The strength of the offense, our age, wisdom, experience, (Zoom cut out), couldn't get that part done. I knew that if we had to chuck it, they were going to fresh load 8-10 guys in the pass rush and tee off on us. That's exactly what they did."

On being aggressive on fourth down

"It is my personality and it's the personality of the team. I know how good their offense is. I know how much ground they can chew up. For us to have a chance to win, we have to be more efficient with the ball. You don't get it on third down, find a way to get it on fourth down. Sometimes we did. It was not enough."

On not being able to get a TD after great kickoff return

"Great stop by them. That's me knowing who we had to face. I could have kicked the field goal and took the three points. I knew they were going to score more points. They have a very good offense. We don't have that option right now. I'm disappointed we didn't get it. I'm sure we will learn from it. That's probably the mentality we will need the rest of the season."

On where the Tigers are after this game

"We're a football team that is getting better with every play. We went to New England and played a very good UNH team that is undefeated. That was a tough contest. Playing the perennial national champions is another tough contest. Traveling to San Diego to play will be another tough contest. Then we will have a bye. We will play our league schedule. Today, we are not where we need to be to win our league, but we will be by the time we come back to league play."

On weapons of ND State

"It's the ultimate challenge. Pack the box to stop the run and then pay for it. It takes a higher level of discipline that we showed gainst the run and putting our eyes in the right place to able to stop them. "

4 minutes ago, mat1992 said:

Ambrose opening comments

"They were a very good football team. There's no way for us to simulate their physicality with our roster currently. I told our guys that the national championship goes through them whether you play them in Fargo or here or you play them anywhere. It's an animal that you can't understand until you face it. I have a locker room of guys who know exactly who Mike Tyson is now. Looking forward to playing them again."

On play-calling being limited

"For us to win this ballgame, we were going to have to run the ball. We were going to have to keep them off the field as much as we could. The strength of the offense, our age, wisdom, experience, (Zoom cut out), couldn't get that part done. I knew that if we had to chuck it, they were going to fresh load 8-10 guys in the pass rush and tee off on us. That's exactly what they did."

On being aggressive on fourth down

"It is my personality and it's the personality of the team. I know how good their offense is. I know how much ground they can chew up. For us to have a chance to win, we have to be more efficient with the ball. You don't get it on third down, find a way to get it on fourth down. Sometimes we did. It was not enough."

On not being able to get a TD after great kickoff return

"Great stop by them. That's me knowing who we had to face. I could have kicked the field goal and took the three points. I knew they were going to score more points. They have a very good offense. We don't have that option right now. I'm disappointed we didn't get it. I'm sure we will learn from it. That's probably the mentality we will need the rest of the season."

On where the Tigers are after this game

"We're a football team that is getting better with every play. We went to New England and played a very good UNH team that is undefeated. That was a tough contest. Playing the perennial national champions is another tough contest. Traveling to San Diego to play will be another tough contest. Then we will have a bye. We will play our league schedule. Today, we are not where we need to be to win our league, but we will be by the time we come back to league play."

On weapons of ND State

"It's the ultimate challenge. Pack the box to stop the run and then pay for it. It takes a higher level of discipline that we showed gainst the run and putting our eyes in the right place to able to stop them. "

Dude is delusional. A snake oil salesman if there ever was one 

• Like 1

Chris Ferguson

"Obviously a long day (zoom goes out, God I hate zoom). We had the ball at the goal line. Have to get that in there. That changes the course of the game. When opportunities present themself, we have to take advantage of them. Had a chance to score at the half, didn't do it. Have a good opportunity next week."

On ND State defense

"They are aggressive. We knew they were tough going in. I don't think they did anything on defense that was outlandish. They dropped guys in coverage. They had a good front four rush. We didn't make enough plays."

On getting big kickoff return and not getting points

"If we convert there, it's 14-7. It's a different ball game. That's an opportunity we have to capitalize on. Maybe we get a little confidence. Get some energy. Maybe we tie it up. YOu new know. But there are multiple times in the game that you could go back and make play, that could change the course of the game."

On improving his play

"I just have to keep being myself. Keep coming in and improving on whatever the coaches see on film. Whether that's stay in the pocket and improving on throws, putting the ball on them to make plays so we can get YAC. Taking care of the ball. Each week, I know I have to get better going into next week and going into league play, I have to be at my best. I have to step my game up and be better for my team and myself as well."

44 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

Dude is delusional. A snake oil salesman if there ever was one 

Yup. Where are the parents, coaches and players best friends?  This team and program is bad. 

1 hour ago, TSU88 said:

. Of course, there’s always the possibility Ambrose brings in a talented transfer QB in the off-season. Oh, wait, never mind 

Someone who will you know, get arrested, steals from his teammates, rape allegations etc