• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

Football holds on to beat Stony Brook 21-14

https://towsontigers.com/news/2021/10/9/strong-defensive-effort-leads-football-over-stony-brook.aspx

A near-miraculous win today. DT Sam Gyeni saved the game with a sack on Tyquell Fields with eight seconds left. But it shouldn't have come down to it. TE Jason Epps was about to walk into the end zone and give the Tigers a three-touchdown lead with about 10 minutes left. He was stripped of the ball and it went out of the end zone for a touchback for the Seawolves. At that point, you had to think SOT. Here comes Stony Brook right down the field for a TD and then they are about to score another one but just ran out of time and downs.

This is the CAA. Where Stony Brook loses to URI last week in OT. URI blocks a punt and returns it for a TD to beat Delaware, who was picked off in the end zone at the end. Not a pretty team. The defense is not very good, but they are gelling. Got to see more of Elorm Lumor today, He's been banged up since the first game. Oly Okombi can also play the edge and inside. Excited for their potential. No. 24 Ubyd Steed nearly got a pick today. THe LBs need to pick it up. That's why we saw more of 50 Daniel Raymond, another r-freshman. 

http://stats.statbroadcast.com/broadcast/?id=353574

Offensively, we have to play pretty vanilla. No big plays though I'm sure they'd like to get the ball downfield more. They were blitzing the sh-t out of Ferguson in the second half. He made some quick reads, but again mostly short passes. It was about managing the game, even though the running game was mostly non-existent. Just not seeing the explosion of Jerry Howard. He's not always making the first person miss. I though they should have gone back to Devin Matthews, who was wearing the defense down when they got the fumble back. Thought he was the best back today and it appears we only have two healthy ones unless you count D'Ago Hunter.

More comments later...

Rob Ambrose opening comment

"I love my team. I love the character of my team. I love their relationships. It's what we talked about in the locker room afterwards. What these kids have gone through over the last two years. To be honest, the last three week plus. Nobody has given them the time of day. We didn't play perfect. But we won. I love my guys. My hats off to Chuck (Fiore). It's all about winning. Guys are screaming in the locker room happy. They earned this win. It's a long-hard fought win that was more than this game. I love my guys."

On the bye week

For the kids, it was hard. I had to find a way to remind a good football team that they are still a good football team after playing two of the hardest spots they are going to play.  Is San Diego State in the Top 20 yet? We had bye week to think about it. We could have thought about how miserable we are or we could work to get better. We worked hard to get better. It showed up today."

On big plays

"Any time you can change the field position that's huge (McDonough's punt). Everything else was a fist fight. I'm still annoyed that this game should have been over an hour ago. We fumble the ball in the end zone. If you recall, I said before the season started. Defensively there is something about these guys that's a little bit special. I can't put my finger on it yet. We just might win a game on defense. We showed up when it counted big-time. I don't know where he is living now, but Ryan Delaire is a very happy man."

On defensive

Banged up here and there. You never know when you're going to be Connor Frazier. When it's going to be your time. You just keep working hard and when you're number is called, you are going to be ready. Those guys worked really hard on their rehab. They didn't want to wait another week to play and they both contributed great today (Lumor and Okombi).

On Ferguson

He was better this week than he was the week before. He was better the previous week than he was the week before that. THat's all I can ask that he can just keep getting better. He's not Tom. Whatever Tom didn't know, he would just take off running. That's not Chris. He has diligently worked at being our QB that we need him to be. Flat out, if we don't turn the ball over. We're going to win. We did turn the ball over out of the back of the end zone that made it close. It's a great job by Chris leading and getting better week to week.

On Sam

I know Fields pretty well, (I recruited him out of HS) he's had a great career at Stony. That play was coming. SOme of these tight games, you have to rely on the defense to make the play. Very proud of our guys. It bodes well for our future.

A necessary W, in the sense that it keeps our (remote) playoff hopes alive. 

2 mediocre teams (by that, I think the ceiling for both these teams is 5 W’s). We tried to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory, but fortunately kept Stony Brook out of the end zone at the end. I have little doubt that had SB scored a TD, they would have gone for the W by going for the 2-pt conversion.

Offense seems to have zero big play ability. Defense plays soft coverage and doesn’t generate consistent pass pressure. But, a W is a W; sure beats the alternative. Next week vs 1st place Rhode Island. Wrap your heads around that thought. It’s sobering to see how Rhode Island has completely changed the trajectory of their program, while we’ve completely squandered the momentum that should have ensued following our championship game appearance at the end of the 2013 season 

11 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

A necessary W, in the sense that it keeps our (remote) playoff hopes alive. 

2 mediocre teams (by that, I think the ceiling for both these teams is 5 W’s). We tried to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory, but fortunately kept Stony Brook out of the end zone at the end. I have little doubt that had SB scored a TD, they would have gone for the W by going for the 2-pt conversion.

Offense seems to have zero big play ability. Defense plays soft coverage and doesn’t generate consistent pass pressure. But, a W is a W; sure beats the alternative. Next week vs 1st place Rhode Island. Wrap your heads around that thought. It’s sobering to see how Rhode Island has completely changed the trajectory of their program, while we’ve completely squandered the momentum that should have ensued following our championship game appearance at the end of the 2013 season 

Towson football for the past 15 years. 
almost every other program has pulled even, passed or lapped us (some 5 times now). Difference is they want to win. Don’t hand out extensions to unworthy coaches. Make changes when necessary. 

BTW, anybody who watched the CAA today saw a very mediocre league where JMU has become very vulnerable after losing to Villanova at home and barely beating UNH on the road last week. Delaware is mediocre (shame we don't play them), URI is pretty good but needed OT to beat SB. It's basically a .500 league.

Can Towson beat URI next week? They need a few more explosive plays on offense. Or how about one. Can't just rely on dink-and-dunk and three yards a run right down the field. It worked against the Seawolves. The Rams are a bit better and they have a quarterback we faced as a freshman back in 2017. Anybody remember that quarterback?

I watched some of the URI game. Kasim Hill is big but slow and a so-so passer IMO -- I don't consider him a great playmaker. But he's more of a presence than our game manager QB -- who can't run the ball at all. Hill and the URI coaching staff has that team believing this is their year to make the playoffs. Any that may be the case.