• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

Football holds on to beat Stony Brook 21-14

5 minutes ago, TigerFan54 said:

I watched some of the URI game. Kasim Hill is big but slow and a so-so passer IMO -- I don't consider him a great playmaker. But he's more of a presence than our game manager QB -- who can't run the ball at all. Hill and the URI coaching staff has that team believing this is their year to make the playoffs. Any that may be the case. 

I watched that game as well. Wasn't impressed with them or any CAA team I watched today other than maybe Nova. You could say the same about us. Every QB that Ferguson faces is going to be more of a presence than our game manager QB. Just like Fields was today. But you know what? As boring as it is, if he doesn't turn the ball over, he gives you a chance to win most games. If he plays as he did against UNH, it's over. 

Colonial is and has been mediocre for a while. Jmu had carried the conference for half a decade.  They might be down but tigers need to win out to even have a small chance of sniffing the playoffs 

One thing that I constantly brought up this past off-season was our lack of speed as I watched that Texas A&M kid fly by everyone. Who knows when Kobe Young (lower body injury) will ever return. Sabias Folley hasn't played in two games, but he's no burner. Jerry Howard just doesn't seem to hit the few holes he gets as quickly as you'd like. He's more patient ala Le'Veon Bell. I like the way Devin Matthews ran today, but you saw some huge holes where you know if that were Shane Simpson, he would be gone.

But when you have a QB like Flacco that can run a 4.5 and you have sub 4.5 guys like Leatherbury and Simpson it puts the defense on notice. I thought that kid Charles Murphy, the WR from New Jersey would be a vertical guy, though I guess it doesn't matter much since we won't go vertical a lot. That's why you have to get D'Ago Hunter on the field at times. Makes people miss and has a bit of speed. (4.5ish).

While is was nice to see a win - this team is very boring. This offense, and really the entire team, has NO identity. There is not one thing that you can say - "we do this very well".

Edited by TSU86
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, TSU86 said:

While is was nice to see a win - this team is very boring. This offense, and really the entire team, has NO identity. There is not one thing that you can say - "we do this very well".

Interesting point. Winning is obviously the bottom line, but there is undeniably an entertainment component as well. To that extent, we are about as exciting as a rerun of Green Acres. No big plays in the passing game (absent the long TD against Morgan, which I think was a busted coverage), and no home run threat in the running game. 

This ties into your other observation about this team having no identity. We’re not a high octane passing team, we’re not a “ground & pound” running team, we’re not an aggressive, turnover creating defense. What we are is dull, which wouldn’t be so bad if we were going to win more than 6 games, maximum 

Agree, TSU88. Chunk plays are non-existent in this offense -- and defenses know we never go vertical, so they can concentrate on keeping those passes into the flat from gaining more than 5-6 yards. If we somehow manage to grind out wins over URI/W&M/Albany/Richmond/Elon (forget about JMU) and squeak into the playoffs at 7-4, I predict a quick exit.

14 minutes ago, TigerFan54 said:

Agree, TSU88. Chunk plays are non-existent in this offense -- and defenses know we never go vertical, so they can concentrate on keeping those passes into the flat from gaining more than 5-6 yards. If we somehow manage to grind out wins over URI/W&M/Albany/Richmond/Elon (forget about JMU) and squeak into the playoffs at 7-4, I predict a quick exit.

Playoffs?!