• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

Football routs #12 URI 28-7 on Homecoming

Wow they may never lose again!! All they need to do is go undefeated in Maryland and Virginia to make the playoffs. 

In all seriousness, At least we have dominated 3 of the 4 bad teams we’ve played this year on defense. 3 yards and a cloud of dust is an ugly offense but it was much better than whatever the Rams were doing out there. Easier to do that when you have a lead.

the bad penalties on 3rd down are going to hurt more against the good teams.. but on the bright side the caa is Jmu, nova and then a bunch of slop. 

RA On what it takes to beat W&M

"Show up to work tomorrow. Keep doing it every day until they tell us that we can't do it anymore. See how good we are. It's nice looking at this team and know that's it's an entire different team than the ones that lined up against Morgan State. That's what you want to do is see your team get better."

On trick play (direct snap to Howard,d, double reverse to Ferguson pass to Howard for first down)

"We put it in this week. We had a run a whole bunch of stuff from the heavy set. We had Ferguson lined up at WR with Luke going in motion so it was a natural set up."

Offensive line

"They wanted it last week. But having an undefeated team like that in your league. And having the No. 12 team in the country come to your stadium for Homecoming? It was personal for them. They got made at me when I threw the ball."

On offense in the rain

"Did you see their first series? I'm glad they had the ball first. Going back and forth with how we would do in the rain and they showed how poorly they did. I didn't want to give your kids the chance to fail. Having them have the ball first actually changed the way I called the first quarter. Getting 28 points? Teams in the Big 12 it's like 59-58. The number you only care about is a win. That was a really good football team. They are going to raise some hell in this league and I wouldn't be surprised if they were a playoff team. We did just enough to beat them."

On Lumor and Okomibi being on the field late in the game

"If you manage to get up on somebody and force them to be one-dimensional and that one dimension is throwing it? We have a chance.

Does this game tell us more about us or Rhode Island? By that I mean I wonder if our D is really that good or is the Rhode Island QB really that bad? Perhaps the truth is somewhere in between, but what isn’t debatable is that next Saturday in Williamsburg is shaping up as a big game. A W and we’re over .500 & would have a 3 game winning streak. I’m still hard pressed to see us making the playoffs with an offense that has almost no big play capability, but right now the goal is to stack W’s and see if we can somehow defy the odds and get to the last game of the season 7-3

Edited by TSU88

Ok, where do I start? On a personal note, it was nice to be in the press box, unlike last week where I had to sit out due to being under the weather.

About the game, really impressed that they were able to hold on. It shows that we finally have a defense and just as I said, getting Lumor and Okombi on the field at the same time since they had missed three games was huge. They still don't appear to be 100% because Tramar Reece is still starting at OLB/Rush end and it's not really his position. It was nice to see Brandon Shuman get that last pick, because I thought he's a better number two corner than Peoples. SJ Brown is just laying the wood out there and Christian Dixon played his best game this year with 11 tackles and four sacks. He was everywhere and I thought we blitz Hill a little more. He's obviously not the same player athletically since Maryland due to injuries, but he's still a dangerous runner.

Ferguson really struggled in the weather in the first half. He was throwing low passes and behind some guys, but give him credit. He made some big throws in the second half, including one down the middle to Daniel Thompson that help put the game away. Also great throw in the corner of the end zone to Jabari Allen. Caleb Smith made a great adjustment on that long catch.

How about that trick play in the third quarter on third-and-five? We've doing direct snaps mainly to Matthews, but this time it was Howard. He got the snap and Ferguson lined up wide. Gave it to Hamilton who gave it back to Ferguson who hit Howard for the first down. 

That play doesn't work if you don't block it and I think the O-line played as well as they've played since 2019. Maybe it was Roman Warheit moving in as the starter at right guard where I think we've used four players this year. Even DeMarcus Gilmore moved inside and Warheit outside when they were inside the five. Warheit had played some right tackle, but he seemed pretty comfortable at guard. I think that first drive after the Rams punted was huge. We were actually moving them up front and dominating (sort of).

Nice to see Jerry Howard run for 106 yards and Devin Matthews rush for two TDs. My big worry is that we don't have a lot of depth there. We can't end up with D'Ago Hunter as the prime back. He's a tough little guy, but damn he's small.

I still like to see Howard hit the hole with more explosion. I think Matthews does that, but then he doesn't have the extra great to do much in the second level. Howard has that and it was nice to see him finally hit a semi-long one for 19 yards.

Overall, you can't ask much more for this team tonight considering the circumstances. Shame the weather cost us a big crowd (3,300). Rob was very emotional at the end of the game for those who heard the on-field interview. They just need to keep winning. Can't dwell on the W. BTW, Delaware lost to Stony Brook tonight. Wish they were on the schedule.

4 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

Does this game tell us more about us or Rhode Island? By that I mean I wonder if our D is really that good or is the Rhode Island QB really that bad? Perhaps the truth is somewhere in between, but what isn’t debatable is that next Saturday in Williamsburg is shaping up as a big game. A W and we’re over .500 & would have a 3 game winning streak. I’m still hard pressed to see us making the playoffs with an offense that has almost no big play capability, but right now the goal is to stack W’s and see if we can somehow defy the odds and get to the last game of the season 7-3

Umm, URI was ranked 12th in the nation. They beat everyone on their schedule and they were 5-0. I'm sure the rain slowed them down some, but it's possible that we are actually getting better on D, which makes sense since we have so many new pieces and Lumor and Okombi have rarely played.

Not to look ahead, because you can't with this schedule. But to me, as we continue to improve, we're just as good as anybody in the league. Maybe Villanova is better and of course, JMU is always the team to beat. But again, we can't turn it over and we have to basically play this vanilla offense. In the Zoom press conference. RA said he had to change the offensive game plan after URI struggled in the rain on the first drive. That was wise considering the struggles of both QBs in the rain.

But again, I've been saying we have receivers. Nice game by Thompson tonight as he got more run after Darian Street got injured. Caleb Smith made a great catch down the sidelines. And we know what Jabari Allen is capable of. We're going to need the passing game to improve because teams stack the box and Howard can only do so much. He's a North-South runner as is Matthews. We don't have that little change-of-pace back, but I guess we're trying to do that with Hunter.