• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

Football falls to W&M 40-14 (Story up)

https://towsontigers.com/news/2021/10/23/towson-football-falls-on-the-road-to-william-mary.aspx

Absolute ass-kicking. Can't find another adjective. Going to the Zoom press conference. Some of the worst tackling I've ever seen in may 30+ years covering the program. Don't know what they were doing to start the game on defense and five turnovers from the offense didn't help (4 from CF, 1 from Howard). While the turnovers hurt, there's not excuse for the yards after contact that W&M's running backs had.

Good for the Tribe. Mike London is a solid coach and he had that time ready for a potential run to the playoffs. Wasn't impressed with their defense early, but they were very opportunistic at forcing turnovers. 

Here are some quotes after the press conference via Zoom. I was the only one there so it lasted just around 4:30.

"Congratulations to W&M. Very good gameplan. They just outplayed us in just about every phase of the game. Incredibly disappointing. Can't win a football game in this league giving up 185 yards rushing in the first half. Turn the ball over five times. There's no rhythm to be gained. It's a hard lesson to learn. I think we learned that."

On first quarter

"I'm not surprised. I knew coming off that loss that they were going to be extremely hungry. I knew they were going to be aggressive in the first quarter big-time. We miss-fit three runs. Just guys that weren't in the right spots. I was pleased the way we responded. We handled it. But we played behind the entire time."

Missed tackles? Defense worn down?
"There were a lot of missed tackles when the game started? Missed tackles, turnovers. That's it. We can't keep going through these streaks where we don't turn the ball over during games at all. And all of a sudden turnovers all over the place. Or we'll tackle well for a game or two. Then we tackle as poorly as we did today. I have to do better."

On Ferguson trying to be too fine with his passing

"Too much. Instead of just doing things we asked him to do, he's trying to make a play. We didn't need that. Can't win ballgames when you continue to turn the ball over."

On whether he starts next week?

"I have to go watch the film, but from my gut? Probably."

Pass blocking

"We were taken out of the run game because we were so far behind and that was a loss of a rhythm. We ran the ball ok, but then you get far behind and we play into their strengths as pass rushers. Kind of what we did to Rhody. They did to us."

Improve for next week

"Have to get past this. We have a lot of hung heads in the locker room. These guys work really hard. When you are invested that much and it doesn't work out the way you wanted to. It hurts inside.  You have to get past that and go back to work. We have to fix it. It's not rocket science. If we want to be great, we have to be great at the little things and not be tired of working at the little things. That work is not there yet."

On defense overall

"If everybody was reading the press clippings before that, we have to get rid of the newspaper. 

Serious question… we were ultimate eliminated from playoffs week 2. Officially now. But why run out a 5th year senior next week?  Play the young guys. This team is full of crappy old guys. We are gonna lose with or without them.. Atleast let’s see what the younger players can (or if they were a RA recruit) Can’t do. Are we really worried about burning a redshirt year? 

3 hours ago, mat1992 said:

Here are some quotes after the press conference via Zoom. I was the only one there so it lasted just around 4:30.

"Congratulations to W&M. Very good gameplan. They just outplayed us in just about every phase of the game. Incredibly disappointing. Can't win a football game in this league giving up 185 yards rushing in the first half. Turn the ball over five times. There's no rhythm to be gained. It's a hard lesson to learn. I think we learned that."

On first quarter

"I'm not surprised. I knew coming off that loss that they were going to be extremely hungry. I knew they were going to be aggressive in the first quarter big-time. We miss-fit three runs. Just guys that weren't in the right spots. I was pleased the way we responded. We handled it. But we played behind the entire time."

Missed tackles? Defense worn down?
"There were a lot of missed tackles when the game started? Missed tackles, turnovers. That's it. We can't keep going through these streaks where we don't turn the ball over during games at all. And all of a sudden turnovers all over the place. Or we'll tackle well for a game or two. Then we tackle as poorly as we did today. I have to do better."

On Ferguson trying to be too fine with his passing

"Too much. Instead of just doing things we asked him to do, he's trying to make a play. We didn't need that. Can't win ballgames when you continue to turn the ball over."

On whether he starts next week?

"I have to go watch the film, but from my gut? Probably."

Pass blocking

"We were taken out of the run game because we were so far behind and that was a loss of a rhythm. We ran the ball ok, but then you get far behind and we play into their strengths as pass rushers. Kind of what we did to Rhody. They did to us."

Improve for next week

"Have to get past this. We have a lot of hung heads in the locker room. These guys work really hard. When you are invested that much and it doesn't work out the way you wanted to. It hurts inside.  You have to get past that and go back to work. We have to fix it. It's not rocket science. If we want to be great, we have to be great at the little things and not be tired of working at the little things. That work is not there yet."

On defense overall

"If everybody was reading the press clippings before that, we have to get rid of the newspaper. 

We ran ok? 27 for 100 with a long of a 12 is ok? He is pleased the way we responded after the first quarter?! We got outsiders 19-7.  What a fing blow Hole

23 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

We ran ok? 27 for 100 with a long of a 12 is ok? He is pleased the way we responded after the first quarter?! We got outsiders 19-7.  What a fing blow Hole

That's not exactly what he said but you do you. He was pleased the way they responded after the first TD. When we went right down the field to make it 7-7. That was probably the only time he was pleased. Then the turnovers came and everything turned to shit.

• Haha 1

On 10/23/2021 at 9:58 PM, TuTigers2012 said:

Serious question… we were ultimate eliminated from playoffs week 2. Officially now. But why run out a 5th year senior next week?  Play the young guys. This team is full of crappy old guys. We are gonna lose with or without them.. Atleast let’s see what the younger players can (or if they were a RA recruit) Can’t do. Are we really worried about burning a redshirt year? 

I agree, no reason not to give Miller a shot.  He's been a part of the program for 3 years, it can't get that much worse than Ferguson's numbers