• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

Football holds on to beat Albany 38-24

https://towsontigers.com/news/2021/10/30/towson-football-defeats-ualbany-third-win-in-a-row-at-home.aspx

Towson goes right down the field to open the game. Jerry Howard has 76 yards on the first drive and we settle for the short field goal. Albany goes right back down the field and they fumbled at the one yard line. Obviously, that's why they are 0-8. They do have some talent on offense. Their run defense is not very good and it showed as the Tigers ran for 247 yards, including 145 from Howard, I thought the most positive thing on offense came with the two great plays by D'Ago Hunter. The long run for 43 yards for a score and the 21-yard reception where he just missed getting in.

On the negative side, we need more of a passing game. Throwing for 128 yards is not going to cut it. I know we got very conservative in the second half. We ran almost exclusively on first down. But it wasn't needed in this game. Against Richmond, we might need 200 yards. Other than the Matthews fumble, the Tigers did not turn it over.

Defensively: the positive. Three forced turnovers. Well one that wasn't really forced at the one. But Christian Dixon knocked the ball out. And Mark Collins. We've been waiting all year for him to jump the route. They were going for a rocket screen there, because why not? Even their coach Calabrese said we were playing 8 yards off the receivers.

To the negative, the pass defense was horrible. We had zero pass rush and you'll check the quotes out later than RA was not thrilled with the third-down defense. That comes back to lack of a pass rush, no blitz for some reason and playing soft on the receivers.

Ambrose opening statement

"Winning is cool. For all the pundits who think the team we played isn't any good, throw that record out the door. They're a very good football team. With that being said, I'm proud we're one of the few teams that beat them by more than one score, though they were trying to get there. Good football team. No doubt they are going to bounce back. Proud of my guys. We needed to start fast. Start hot. Be efficient. We did that for about 2 1/2 quarters. A little disappointed in the second half overall. We gave them too many opportunities. Big plays. A chance to get back in the ball game once or twice. But we answered the bell. The goal of the game is to win the game."

On Hunter

With AP not being here and Kobe not playing this year, it's really hard. D'Ago is not a true tailback .We use him the best we can, as smart as we can. He can't take the beating that the other guys an. There's nobody in America who just has a pitching roster and all you can do is throw fastballs. You got to have a change-up or a curve ball. He's been growing and growing as a player. Very pleased to see them to have big days. We're blocking everybody and getting 3 yards. We haven't gotten past that. We had more runs over 10 yards today than we had the entire season. I give credit to both of those guys."

On Collins play

"If you go back to 2019, that play (rocket screen) destroyed us. We weren't going to let that happen again. We let them have one, just so we could get one."

On pass defense

"I'm concerned about a lot things. We were horrible on third down. We let them in the ballgame. They scored way too many in the second half. First time Devin fumbled all year. We need to be better. Third-down defense is not good enough to be in the conversation for the next level. We have a lot of work to do."

On direct snap to Matthews

"We have the ability to play with 11 or 10. We're dropping out the quarterback just in case. We probably have a trick play in there just in case. So you have to guard him in direct snaps."

On first drive

"We've been consistent in the first quarter. Move the ball well. The only time we're having issues on offense is when we hand it to the bad guys. The rest of the time we've been incredibly efficient. We're like 80% on fourth down. I'm calling plays to that effect. We got the tasted out of our mouth and got the win. Still have work to do and we need to get better."

25 minutes ago, mat1992 said:

With AP not being here and Kobe not playing this year

Any idea why Kobe is not playing? (He carried the ball against Morgan, if I recall correctly.) This seems to be a year-in, year-out issue with him.

1 minute ago, TigerFan54 said:

Any idea why Kobe is not playing? (He carried the ball against Morgan, if I recall correctly.) This seems to be a year-in, year-out issue with him.

He's injured.

Very good team? Lol what a crock. They are 0-8. 
Win against the bad teams 8-24. Lose against the good teams minus unh.  Another 6-5/5-6 season. 
but credit them for showing up and playing well a week after their season ended

Edited by TuTigers2012

The team looked energetic and happy to go out and have fun out there. Good on them to put last week behind them and not let one bad day turn into two bad days. Definitely need to improve the pass offense and defense. Pleased we did not get embarrassed and lose this trap game. The posters on this board would have really been wallowing in agony 

• Like 1

A necessary win, in that it keeps our practically remote playoff flame flickering. This kid Matthews has a knack for finding the end zone. Good game by Howard. After the 1st drive, I thought he was going to have 200+ yards. Highlight reel play by Collins and a couple nice chunk plays by Hunter.

Otoh, we have no passing game to speak of and, if it weren’t for Albany shooting itself in the foot on several occasions, the outcome of the game might very well have been different. 

On to Richmond 

1 hour ago, TSU88 said:

On to Richmond 

Mancuso, Richmond's QB at the start of the season who got injured several weeks ago, is back. He led the Spiders' to victory yesterday. So our pass defense better be much improved this week.