• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

Turnovers costly as Football falls to Richmond 28-17

https://towsontigers.com/news/2021/11/6/strong-start-not-enough-as-towson-football-falls-at-richmond.aspx

Towson opened up a 10-0 lead on the road against Richmond. You can't ask for more and than the turnover-bug showed up against for Chris Ferguson and the Tigers. TBH, it's tough to win games by throwing horizontally. They started out that way because they wanted for him to throw it quickly to alleviate the pressure. But a fumble in the end zone and a pick-six late in the first half ended his day and brought on Vincent Amendola. who already ran for a long run on a bit of a trick play. 

Amendola lift the TIger sin the second half on a TD throw to Caleb Smith, but he showed his youth and inexperience as he threw an interception he was under duress.Towson threw the ball 37 times and completed 20. That's a bit of a surprise considering the weather (a bit rainy), but I guess RA felt he had to throw the ball because Richmond has a terrific D-line.

Obviously, this means the season is over in terms of very long-shot playoff hopes. They'll attempt to gain some revenge on Elon next week at home. JMU is waiting for the road finale and I assume they will go with Amendola, because at this point, why not?

More later with quotes.

RA Opening comments

"DIsappointed. Congrats to Richmond. They get better every week. To get their quarterback back after an injury makes a difference but we didn't play well enough to win. Cannot give football teams in our league 14 points and expect to win on a regular basis. We're not good enough to come back from that yet. Just not. NOthing we can do about it now. Dust ourselves off and keep moving."

Defensively

"We went down the field and scored twice. We just turned the ball over and in the end zone. We gave them 14 points. What's the score of the game? You cannot give the other team points. This is one of the best defenses in the league and has one of the best players in the league. it's a good, good defense. Nobody puts up big points against them. We knew they were going to be a handful. We knew had to get to the fourth quarter and it would probably be a one-score game, We got to that point. It should not have been that close. We handed them points."

On Amendola over Miller

"We used him early and he ran for about 25 yards. Schematically there were some things that we knew that they had weaknesses for. Chris couldn't do it. Jeff (Miller) couldn't do it. Vinny could. Let him play a little bit. To be honest, he had the hot hand, so we let him keep going."

"You can see some times today why he wasn't out there. Why he wasn't the guy. It's a tough spot for him to be in. I was impressed. He did everything we asked him to do. The next two series, he kind of got out it. Things we need to work on. I was pleased."

On seven sacks?

"A  lot of it is on the quarterbacks. Don't get me wrong. "Grimmy (Grzymkowski) told me I blew it, gave up a sack. But you ask why are we not chucking it all over the yard all the time. As good as we are up front, we have to be on time in the passing game, or we're going to be on our backs seven times. That's not good enough."

On penalties

"I had a guy throw a penalty flag 55 yards away from the play. Can't imagined how that happens in America. I don't want to get fined."

Goals for the rest of the season

"One you alwys want to have a winning season. Two,  in the last seven years, we have seen two 6-5 teams make the playoffs and they come from good conferences. Get back on the bus, get healthy, get back to work. Have a winning season."

Getting back to the game, I thought the defense did a solid job until that Jerry Garcia (yes) 54 yard run on a pitch from Joe Mancuso. SJ Brown had the QB, but nobody had the pitchman. It was probably a linebacker and when I had a look at the Delaware game, their LBs did a great job against W&M's RPO today. I just think our linebackers have been disappointing. But allowed just 155 passing yards and 179 rushing yards. Jerry Howard rushed 13 times for 85 yards, but you want him to get at least 20 touches. We had 341 totals yards and they had 334. Statistically, the teams were pretty even but committing three turnovers and forcing just one is a major issue that this team can't overcome.

Good game from Sam Gyeni with two sacks. Brown had 7 tackles and one pick with one fumble recovery. Mrk Collins added 7 tackles and one forced fumble. 

First, the positives: the D did play decent, until the long TD run; Howard ran hard (why he doesn’t get more carries is a question only our genius coach can answer); Amendola showed some flashes (he clearly needs to start the last 2 games, though I’m concerned that starting at JMU could actually be counterproductive for his growth).

What else is there to say, that isn’t obvious? The starting QB play was dreadful; the O-Line was a sieve, as far as pass blocking; the multiple undisciplined penalties were mind numbing. The common denominator in my opinion is the coach, in terms of recruiting, player development and in-game coaching.

I’m going to say it-while I will be rooting for W’s the next two weeks, I will not be disappointed if we get blown out, if it hastens the departure of the current head coach 

10 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

Where is everyone??

Well, it is Saturday night. Besides, what is there to say? We all know a coaching change is needed. The play on the field speaks for itself. 

54 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

Well, it is Saturday night. Besides, what is there to say? We all know a coaching change is needed. The play on the field speaks for itself. 

Waiting for the unveiling.   5-6 prediction on my part was very accurate 

19 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

Not necessarily. We might finish 4-7 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, TuTigers2012 said:

2 hours ago, TuTigers2012 said:

*SD. I’m still here!