• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
TuTigers2012

What is the point?

What is the point of fielding a football team anymore? Does it make sense?

Fewer kids are playing football as youth, limiting the amount and skills of players. FCS football has been watered down and a bad product for a few years now. 3 of the good FCS programs are leaving the ranks. Besides a few Midwest and northwest schools, fcs football is an afterthought. 

The Towson program is at best stuck in neutral. A coach whose been at the helm for 12+ years and is a career one game over 500 overall and under 500 in a conference that has gotten worse and worse over the year. Fan interest and attendance keeps dropping lower and lower. Would a change in coaching staff even be worthwhile? Would we see the slight bump when rob took over?  Not being able to watch games or other conference teams on tv or on espn streaming is just awful . Getting passed by Elon, Wm, and now URI is just unacceptable.

63 men’s scholarships is a lot. Could those be used elsewhere for other sports? yes. Football is expensive endeavor with such large rosters, equipment, insurance, staff etc. not to mention the numerous uniforms and helmets that this team goes through. They have more helmets than wins this year.  Not that the 4000 people who pack the stands of Unitas even notice. 

Where are we going?  I’d like to honestly hear from some of the old players, Ed, etc what you really think about this program.  You cannot be proud or happy the direction it’s gone in the past 5 years. What do you want us to do to change? Clearly what is being done is not working. Some think we should add seats and enhance the stadium(LOL). That’s not the answer. We would NEVER be able to compete, draw, or have the allowable infrastructure to move up and expand. 

Besides Delaware we are the only other program that plays football basketball and lacrosse. It’s tough at this level financially to be successful on the field and court. Especially when others have just 2 main sports to focus on. 

Godfather supporting/defending a quitter isn't news.  TU12 and Blounge going full on UMBC is kinda comical.  Lets just join the MAAC!  :)

NEWS FLASH for all the anti-Ambrose ilk.  He's not going anywhere soon after the first COVID season.  Especially with years on his contract.

...also, dropping the program altogether, would put me out of my misery.  LMAO

I hope Danny Snyder is paying attention too.

Edited by Ghost of andy7171
  • Haha 1

Just now, Ghost of andy7171 said:

Godfather supporting/defending a quitter isn't news.  TU12 and Blounge going full on UMBC is kinda comical.  Lets just join the MAAC!  :)

NEWS FLASH for all the anti-Ambrose ilk.  He's not going anywhere soon after the first COVID season.  Especially with years on his contract.

...and Angelos.

12 hours ago, TuTigers2012 said:

What is the point of fielding a football team anymore? Does it make sense?

Fewer kids are playing football as youth, limiting the amount and skills of players. FCS football has been watered down and a bad product for a few years now. 3 of the good FCS programs are leaving the ranks. Besides a few Midwest and northwest schools, fcs football is an afterthought. 

The Towson program is at best stuck in neutral. A coach whose been at the helm for 12+ years and is a career one game over 500 overall and under 500 in a conference that has gotten worse and worse over the year. Fan interest and attendance keeps dropping lower and lower. Would a change in coaching staff even be worthwhile? Would we see the slight bump when rob took over?  Not being able to watch games or other conference teams on tv or on espn streaming is just awful . Getting passed by Elon, Wm, and now URI is just unacceptable.

63 men’s scholarships is a lot. Could those be used elsewhere for other sports? yes. Football is expensive endeavor with such large rosters, equipment, insurance, staff etc. not to mention the numerous uniforms and helmets that this team goes through. They have more helmets than wins this year.  Not that the 4000 people who pack the stands of Unitas even notice. 

Where are we going?  I’d like to honestly hear from some of the old players, Ed, etc what you really think about this program.  You cannot be proud or happy the direction it’s gone in the past 5 years. What do you want us to do to change? Clearly what is being done is not working. Some think we should add seats and enhance the stadium(LOL). That’s not the answer. We would NEVER be able to compete, draw, or have the allowable infrastructure to move up and expand. 

Besides Delaware we are the only other program that plays football basketball and lacrosse. It’s tough at this level financially to be successful on the field and court. Especially when others have just 2 main sports to focus on. 

Uh huh…..aren’t you ahead of schedule with this?

12 hours ago, Godfather18 said:

LOL come on Mat TUTiger letting out his frustration with the program lol.

Who cares? What day is it? There are about 50-60 FCS programs where you can say the same thing and all of them never reached Frisco. 

4 hours ago, Ghost of andy7171 said:

Haha. This was meant to be a serious post but of course we get the same responses.  Again, you are a football alum and can’t be happy (unless you are complete and total idiot, which you are not) with what the program is doing. What would you to do or like then to change/fix? Something isn’t working and hasn’t been for a bit. 
20+ redshirt seniors and graduate players, FBS transfers all to fall flat on our faces in a weak caa. Unacceptable. 
Guess what, next year we will have younger players with less experience and take their licks and again finish 6-5/5-6 and we make excuses that they are young and need to wait another year.  Year after year the same song (which leads me to the same anger, frustration and posts)

2 hours ago, RundaPower said:

Uh huh…..aren’t you ahead of schedule with this?

Ha. Sure man, sure. 

I can’t speak for that area of the country but in NorCal youth football participation has been swinging back up since the concussion scare took hold years ago. 

I personally feel it is the safest it has ever been right now.  I think more injuries often occur because kids are training 24-7 instead of taking an off-season. 
EG/Top recruit for Serra HS out here (Brady alum) tore his knee but heard his father was never giving him a day off and weights+++.  Every kid and their body is different of course. 

I got to Towson in the Fall of 91’..  was well informed about football trying to eliminated before then and at the time being a huge hoops fan I was like yeah lets become a Gonzaga type where we dump all of our eggs into one basket team etc. 

Then I attended 🏈 games and realized we had a very small yet super passionate fan base.  

I don’t want to see Towson lose their football program guys.  I understand your frustration and wanting to win more etc..  truly do.  

But right now we all need this football program no matter what..  I can’t be there but I would implore all of you to go this Saturday and enjoy the leaves 🍁 the crisp air the game etc.   I believe you’ll say ok we need Towson football in our lives still.  

Always healthy to criticize and demand more and want to win and show hit pride as an Alum. 

Mistakes have been made and some poor decisions however I don’t question the work ethics or passion of these players and staff. 

No way to compare but I’m in the midst of a HS season where we thought we would be city champs and we are stuck at 2 wins for a various amount of reasons.  My son the QB has gotten crucified by fans etc.  So I feel for Ferguson…  never easy.  

Ok enough from me as I suffer out here in NorCal.   You don’t realize how special of a place Towson is until you leave and can’t really get back there. 

Better days are ahead…. Thanks for sharing all your views..  imagine if we had no forum to discuss.  Oh wait I do…. I was in college with no internet. 

• Like 2