• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

MBB crushes Albany 77-56

https://ualbanysports.com/sidearmstats/mbball/individual;team=away

https://towsontigers.com/news/2021/11/9/towson-mens-basketball-dominates-in-second-half-wins-season-opener-at-ualbany.aspx

Terry Nolan led four players in double figures with 17 points to lead Towson to a 77-56 win over Albany. The Tigers led 39-32 after a competitive first half, but in the second, the Tigers held Albany to just 24 points and just 36% shooting overall. Towson also outrebounded the Great Danes 45-28, led by Cam Holden's 11 boards. The Tigers ended up with 14 assists (10 in the first half) and just nine turnovers.

The only negative was poor foul shooting (10 of 22) and subpar three-point shooting (7 of 24, though Albany, was 5 of 24).

Here are some Pat Skerry comments on the online broadcast after the game.

"Our defense carried us especialy on the road. Rebounded the ball. Good balance. We're going to shoot more 3s. Had a lot of good looks. Wide open. Didn't go in. Didn't make FTs. Charles and Cam were very good. Terry revved up another level. Hicks is going to be really good. We just got Jason back on Friday. Chase has been back five days. Both of those guys had broken bones in their hands....Cam is a junkyard dog. We need to play through him."

Watched the game on ESPN3. A lot to like; the ball movement, athleticism, depth, tenacity on D & the boards. Love what I saw from Nolan, Rizzuto & Holden. Big kudos to Gibby, splashing the 3’s. Thompson was a beast inside. Also got some good minutes I thought from Gray & Hicks. 

Obviously the foul shooting has to improve. I have no idea if Albany is any good, but to go into their gym (with what looked like a pretty good crowd) and run them off the floor was nice to see. Also liked that we pressed some on D, with some good results. 

Looks like a 9-man rotation, with the guys I mentioned above, plus Paar & Timberlake.

Looking forward to the home opener Saturday 

• Like 1

I don't want to get too excited over a 21-point road win over a team with a new coach, but the way we played was impressive. The ball movement and extra passing reminded me of the Loyola win in 2018, which was over 20 points. But in that game, I believe we shot light-out and it turned out to be a fluke. We didn't shoot particularly well tonight and still won big because of the defense and of forcing 14 turnovers (10 steals). That's a rarity with this program going back decades. Forcing turnovers. They had 14, it felt like 20 because of Hicks (3 steals), Nolan (2), and Holden (2).

I know we can shoot better (29% 3pt, 47% FG), but getting transition buckets off turnovers (21pt) is huge for a team that is not loaded with great shooters. So at this point, we need guys like Timberlake and Gibson to make open shots. Jason needs the benefit of the doubt. He had off-season back surgery and then broke a finger in his hand and just returned to practice last Friday. He was 5 of 9 from the field and 3 of 6 from 3 with 2 assists and played incredibly hard. Down the road in conference play, I think we're either looking at Hicks at the 1 or Gibson at the 2 alongside Nolan and Timberlake. Gibson could be great off the bench, but he needs to play more off the ball. He would be a Sixth Man of the Year candidate. The rotations still seem to be in flux. Are we playing Gray, Paar, Hicks, and Gibson in a nine-man rotation? Is Darrick Jones Jr. the 10th man? Seems like nine guys right now so still a work in progress with minutes and rotations.

The key for this team is not to shoot 40% from three. That's not going to happen on most nights. But they need to be around 34%, 72% from the line, force turnovers and limit them on the offensive end. If we continue to pass like that, we should average 14-16 assists per game and hopefully more on nights we shoot well from 3pt.

I wouldn't mind a guy who can takeover the game offensively when the game is on the line. But instead of a superstar, we have options like Holden down low or Holden driving and kicking it out, Nolan doesn't seem to afraid to take tough shots (some ?), Rizzuto doesn't just settle for 3s. Will it be good enough at the end? I don't know about the end result, but hopefully this journey will be a fun one.

The reason for hope is at the point guard spot. Just like QB, it drives the program. Not only do we have a current one in Nolan, but we may have a future star PG in Hicks, assuming he gets stronger and develops on the offensive end.

• Like 1

That was a pretty good first impression.  The only things I had issues with were the free throw shooting and I feel like Thompson and Holden can be stronger with their takes around the basket.  They're going to get a ton of offensive boards like they did tonite and there's no reason why they shouldn't at least draw a foul when they take it back up.  Holden had one where he could have taken it up for a 2-handed slam and gotten the foul but instead, shied away from the contact and got his stuff thrown away.  Thompson's a big boy and he should be drawing a ton of contact so draw that contact, Charles!!  Both guys' moves in the post don't look all that great but they were effective with the hook shots and the dropsteps into the lane.  

Biggest difference I saw from these guys tonight versus past years was the ball was moving around the perimeter instead of staying in one spot.  A lot of that is thanks to a certain #0 no longer on the roster to torpedo the offense.  But a lot of that I think is due to the experience that is on this team with all the transfers.  They all understand how an offense should be run and what they ran tonight had a ton more flow and fluidity than offenses we've run in past years.  Yes, it's just the first game but there were encouraging signs in it.

I just returned from the USF game where they obliterated a LUI team that Towson will be seeing on Dec 2nd. This USF has “3” new starters via the new transfer portal rules and will be an at large dance team this March..  no doubt in my mind.  Bouyea returned and he will be playing in the NBA down the line like Patty Mills previously from the WCC. 

That being said I think Towson & USF going with more experienced guys via the transfer portal is obviously a common trend across the country.  Haven’t looked at every roster but you’ll be seeing less and less playing time for freshman I assume. 
College basketball in general will be so much better to watch this season.  

Only one game in but Nolan looks like the PG we’ve been longing for and Hicks the heir apparent.   

I saw a team that loves to be playing with each other in Albany..   Just a taste but I saw team ball tonight! 

Edited by Bay Area Tiger

The team looked great.  Unlike any Skerry team in recent memory.  Great ball movement.  Skill on offense.  We had 5 guys on the floor who could score - when was the last time we could say that?  

Love the transfers:

Nolan was a floor general, well rounded set of skills

Rizzuto, loved his controlled drives to the basket.  

Holden is awesome.  He's a mini-Benimon, incredibly well rounded and I think he will be something special

Hicks was sensational on defense.  Lightning quick.  Exciting to have what appears to be a high impact freshman.  With playing time he will have a chance to lead the CAA in steals.  

Gibson looked great and will be poised for a big year.  Last year defenses could single him out as no one else could shoot.  This year he'll get his share of open looks.  

CT and Paar will be key cogs up front....CT should also have a big year.  Credit to Skerry and his staff for bringing in high quality talent via the portal and finding a potential gem with Hicks....

I hope the elusive Curtis Holland can play this year - we would benefit from having one more shooter!   

Rebounding 47% of your misses helps a lot. Ball movement was very good and could have had 5-8 more assists if we hit some open shots. 

To bad we can’t combine hicks and Gibson into one person/guard 

If Holland ever shows up and can actually shoot.. that would be a huge plus to bring him Gibson and Gray off the bench as shooters. Don’t think any of us should hold our breathe on that though..