• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

MBB crushes Albany 77-56

I am in agreement with most of what I have read on here about last night's season opener. Very impressed with the transfers, particularly Terry Nolan Jr. who led the team with 17 points, also had five assists, and did it in a fairly efficient manner going 6-11 from the field. In fact, five different players (Nolan Jr. Holden, Rizzuto, Thompson and Gibson) took eight or more shots.

It is rare during the Skerry or any Towson era that shot distribution has been that good. Timberlake had an off shooting night, and didn't feel compelled to keep shooting like last year. The main point I am making is guys like Thompson, Timberlake and Gibson, who felt like they had to play great to have any chance to win last year are now guys who can blend in, pick and choose opportunities, and not feel the need to force the offense. Those three are all very solid players, but none of them should be trying to take over games unless they are feeling it on a given night. They are just not those type of players. Now they can play to their strengths. There was also a flow to this team that we haven't see for a while at Towson. 

It was also nice to see an actual effective press and some pretty good team defense at times in the second half. I know this was an Albany team that is a middle-of-the-pack America East squad, but I would still say this was more of a case of Towson playing well (especially in the 2nd half) than Albany playing poorly (although their shooting was pretty bad in the second half). I know this is only one game, but it felt like a different type of Towson team. 

Finally I wanted to share a stat that I went back and found. This was the biggest margin in a season opener on the road by a Towson team since 1968 when we defeated Salisbury State 93-62. It is a stat that doesn't necessarily mean anything, but still pretty impressive. 

• Like 1

I don't think the was mentioned yet, it didnt happen often but it was effective.  Picking up full court and making them use both time/energy to get it up.  After 2nd made FTs it looks like we went full court press for the majority of the game.  Off deadball scenarios it look as though Nolan was at least making their PG work the ball up the floor.  Getting those extra 3-5 seconds off the shot clock really throws teams off and makes them rush through their sets.  Hats off to the squad tonight, they looked super athletic, strong and fast.  Look forward to seeing them in person on Saturday. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, El Tigre Oro said:

CAA needs to buy out the FLO deal and get on the ESPN platform. 

should not even be a question

• Like 1

So on the Albany message board a poster described the game as follows.....

"This game was a team with solid ball movement and passing vs. a team that tries to play NBA style one on one. We had a player make a move to the hoop and the rest of the team stand around the arc. No boxing out. No communication. At least 3 steals from a Towson player coming from behind. Cold shooting. Really nothing went well. "

We've always been that one on one team under Skerry.   This was a refreshing read....Sure hope we continue the unselfish style of play....That team last night looked special....

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, tu_fan said:

So on the Albany message board a poster described the game as follows.....

"This game was a team with solid ball movement and passing vs. a team that tries to play NBA style one on one. We had a player make a move to the hoop and the rest of the team stand around the arc. No boxing out. No communication. At least 3 steals from a Towson player coming from behind. Cold shooting. Really nothing went well. "

We've always been that one on one team under Skerry.   This was a refreshing read....Sure hope we continue the unselfish style of play....That team last night looked special....

Their fans (and the ones on the Am east message board) are not happy with the loss to lowly Towson.  Even if we are bottom of the barrel caa team.. we consistently beat umbc 

This was the most complete team win IMO that I can remember in some time. It’s a very small sample size but I really liked what I saw. 

This group has an energy and hustle to it that has been lacking in recent years. Ball movement was fantastic. Felt they played very unselfish ball. 

Fix the FT issues and this team stands to surprise some folks 

9 hours ago, TuTigers2012 said:

Also note that we played probably in front of one the largest crowds we will all year 

They drew more for the game last night than we did for the football game against them…😂😂

• Haha 2