• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

Slow start dooms MBB against Monmouith 79-71

http://stats.statbroadcast.com/statmonitr/?id=370327

https://towsontigers.com/news/2021/11/13/towson-mens-basketball-comeback-vs-monmouth-falls-short-in-home-opener.aspx

Horrible start to the game where we didn't get a basket until around 11:30 and it opened at 24-1. Bad start to the second half. We were playing from behind all game.Tough way to start your home schedule. Was worried about this one due to their size up front and Walker Miller (6-11, 230). He had 23 points in their opener against Charlotte.

If not for Cam Holden, the Tigers lose this game tonight by 25. We really struggled in the halfcourt offense. The blame doesn't go to one player, but you'd like to think Terry Nolan can do more than foul out with 0 pts. on 0-6 shooting. I've said this countless times, but in games where the halfcourt offense is bad, you need to muck it up. Trap, press, push the ball more off makes. I understand that we didn't want to get into a shootout because they were 6th last year in pace and we were not close to that.

I might have the time tomorrow to transcribe what Pat said (I was in my car with my phone doing the Zoom since it's too loud in the arena), but I have other things to do. These are the days you wonder if it's really worth covering this program. I didn't expect to see a result like Albany, because I knew this was a much better team. I thought we would get hurt inside and we did though rebounds were even shockingly. Their guards were quick and it seemed like they had 10 of them. 

Our quickest guard by far is Hicks. He's incredible defensively, but has to finish better and his offense has a ways to go, but you have to play him 10-15mpg. Timberlake, as much as he hustles all over the floor, is a very inefficient offensive player. He's not a 34-minute player and part of that was due to Nolan's foul trouble and Rizzuto's subpar game. I thought both of those guys picked up some really bad fouls. You can say that about both teams.

Give me Holden though as a junkyard dog who is not going to take too many perimeter shots, because that's not his game. The offense should go through him as much as possible. Gibson had his moments, but at times, he still struggles against quicker point guards defensively and at times getting into offensive sets. I'd rather see him at the 2 and not at the point, but again, Nolan playing 18 minutes meant that it was either him or Hicks at the 1 and you needed points. 

Bigs were kind of neutralized because of their size. CT is not going to dominate Miller though he did have several shots he has to finish. I'm sure he's used to facing bigger guys all the time playing center. Paar needs to be tougher. Great steal late in the game, but has to finish better and strong. It's easy for me to tell a 6-10 kid to dunk it in traffic or try, but yes, at least attempt. Timberlake did on a drive on the baseline as did Holden. They are under 6-6 and I know better athletes.

Long ass day. Team needs to get it back against Hampton on Tuesday. Really like the crowd tonight. I thought they did a great job considering how bad we were offensively and that we started down 24-1. 

Awful awful game.  Offense was horrific. Little movement, slow passes. No one finishing in traffic.  If it wasn’t 8-5 and Monmouth best player in foul trouble could have lost this one by 35+ 

king coached circles around Pat 

Big crowd shows up and we lay an egg.  Damn. 
I was listening and Spiro had to get in the Truax classic line.. “never ever been a shutout in college basketball”

I was at USF-Davidson yesterday and both teams had a ton of size.  
On Thanksgiving in Vegas..  Pat you must press all game or we will lose by 30.  

19 minutes ago, Bay Area Tiger said:

Big crowd shows up and we lay an egg.  Damn. 
I was listening and Spiro had to get in the Truax classic line.. “never ever been a shutout in college basketball”

I was at USF-Davidson yesterday and both teams had a ton of size.  
On Thanksgiving in Vegas..  Pat you must press all game or we will lose by 30.  

Won’t. Not His Style